*** The 2015 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Sigh. Decided to try front squats today. Light weight too. Just couldn't keep the bar across my front without it tilting to one side. Have to use cross arms as I can't bend my arms backwards properly.

Oh well! More to work on. (Also fixing a left hamstring imbalance which I noticed last week. I'm probably going to be walking in circles for a few days)

Man of Honour
If you're not cooking it in advance the absolute best thing to do is to individually vacuum-pack the meat pieces (assuming whole chicken breasts or whatever) and then quick-freeze them.

That's way too much hassle for most though. Just stick them in freezer bags and try to remove as much air as possible.

Man of Honour
It's perfectly possible for most people to do them, but the real question is how well.

The problem most people have is that they have no flexibility at all - either at the hip or the ankle - making them nigh on impossible.

Man of Honour
It's perfectly possible for most people to do them, but the real question is how well.

The problem most people have is that they have no flexibility at all - either at the hip or the ankle - making them nigh on impossible.

I think my hip flexibility should be pretty decent as I've been doing a ton of stiff-legged DB RDLs for the past 6 months. I'm not sure about my ankle mobility though I've never had any kind of mobility-related injuries during my cycling and squats/etc. I don't do much in the way of specific mobility work though.

Whilst I'm not sure about the video in this the progression seemed like a good idea. I've been doing the bench version of PS. Is this a bad approach?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/pistol-perfect-one-legged-squats-and-beyond.html

Man of Honour
You are alive in the 20th/21st century, so the chances are you have no ankle mobility. :)

Secondly, doing dumbell RDLs does not automatically meant better hip mobility, either, sadly. That's not to say they don't, but some people mistake lumbar flexion for hip mobility...

Doing it to a bench is a good start... that video didn't work because the link broke...

Man of Honour
You are alive in the 20th/21st century, so the chances are you have no ankle mobility. :)

Secondly, doing dumbell RDLs does not automatically meant better hip mobility, either, sadly. That's not to say they don't, but some people mistake lumbar flexion for hip mobility...

Doing it to a bench is a good start... that video didn't work because the link broke...

Fair enough /re ankles :) It really is balance more than anything else that I struggle with on the PS. I'll keep at it and have a look through the noob guides on improving hip/ankle flexibility to see if there's any specific work I can do to help.

Man of Honour
Fair enough /re ankles :) It really is balance more than anything else that I struggle with on the PS. I'll keep at it and have a look through the noob guides on improving hip/ankle flexibility to see if there's any specific work I can do to help.

Rest a heavy barbell across your legs in a squat position. :)

Couldn't fit into my (slim-fit) suit today after trying it for the first time in a while. Winning?

Yes. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom