*** The 2016 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
I imagine 5ft might be quite uncomfortable to use depending on where they cut the length from, if it's from the spinning collars it'll be fine but if they take any real width off the actual bar it's going to be quite tight.

Soldato
It was the CF415 I was going to buy, Powerhouse also do 5 foot bars, and thought I could maybe get away with it as the CF415 is width adjustable. Never used a 5 foot and was worried that by the time I grip it, there would be no room to rack it again

The CF415 is awesome. When I bench with ring finger on the line in the knurling, my bar just fits on the stands. So I'm guessing the 5' would a bit too small.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've never noticed that before. I did start with high bar when I first picked up a barbell a few years ago but switched to low-bar after someone convinced me it would be better.

Should I trying to sit back more and flexing more at the hips? Or is it not a big deal?...

"Better" is entirely contextual and is determined by the outcomes you are after. ;) A squat is - pretty much - a squat if you are just doing it to get strong. :)

Depending on how the squat feels, sitting back more may help drive more weight via your posterior chain, but will require form adjustments that will require you to (potentially) drop the weight and work back up.

But it is kind of arbitrary if you are still making gains...

Soldato
Does anyone know where I can get a set of fractional plates for an Olympic bar at a good price?

I'm looking for 2 x 0.25kg, 2 x 0.5kg and 2 x 1kg.

Gonna keep them in my training bag as the gym I go to won't get me them in. :(

Soldato
"Better" is entirely contextual and is determined by the outcomes you are after. ;) A squat is - pretty much - a squat if you are just doing it to get strong. :)

Depending on how the squat feels, sitting back more may help drive more weight via your posterior chain, but will require form adjustments that will require you to (potentially) drop the weight and work back up.

But it is kind of arbitrary if you are still making gains...

OK, thanks for the tips. :)

Basically, getting stronger is my only aim. So I'll probably just keep going for now.

Man of Honour
They're a very niche product to be fair and the tolerances will have to be quite tight for them not to be useless. Might be worth keeping an eye on eBay for some used ones as they can be posted relatively cheaply unlike normal plates.

Man of Honour
First day where my back (lat) pain has gone. Still very tight when I wake in the night. Feels fragile though, so I will see what the physio says, but I doubt I will be lifting for a while. Hopefully I can keep at least chest press and squats going. Fills me with some hope at least!

4 months until beach wedding. Need to optimise muscle gain with some fat shedding closer to the time.

Soldato
Does anyone know where I can get a set of fractional plates for an Olympic bar at a good price?

I'm looking for 2 x 0.25kg, 2 x 0.5kg and 2 x 1kg.

Gonna keep them in my training bag as the gym I go to won't get me them in. :(

I have the Strength Shop fractional plates - I only really used them for OHP and some EZ bar isolation stuff where 1.25kg seemed like a big jump. I never really bothered using the 1kgs in the end though since you can get enough of a spread of weights with the 0.5kg and 0.25kg fractional plates and the 1.25kgs the gym has, e.g. if you're OHP is like 50kg 5x5 or something and you want to go up in smaller than 2.5kg increments you can do

51 or 51.5 (50 plus the 0.5's, or plus 0.5's and 0.25's)
53.5 or 54

etc etc - the choice of an extra 500g here or there on the 'in between' weights isn't going to make much difference.

If your gym doesn't have 1.25kg plates then obviously get the 1kgs as well.

Last edited:
Associate
got a new pre workout called nemesis fury, it has the infamous DMAA. 200mg caffeine + 72mg dmaa a scoop. 50 servings in a tub for £30! used it quite a few times now and the energy it gives is quite amazing. anyone else have experience with it?

Man of Honour
I only ever take half a scoop of pre workout. I never feel like I need anymore, even after work. I don't have any other caffeine products, so it probably has more effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom