*** The 2017 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
OP
So, as I'm only a beginner and am resting whatever I've managed to do to myself, my bench and row have taken over more than I've ever managed in the squat haha
I don't want to end up neglecting the legs so I've been doing leg extensions and curls on the machines, anything else people could suggest?

Just rest it for 2-4 weeks. If you are committed to the gym, your legs will soon be back up there, so train for the long term. :)

And think of it as a chance to make yourself look as strong as you are to the average civilian. So begin ARMageddon and enjoy it - guilt free - for a few weeks.

Think chest, chestanbize, chestantrize, bizantrize, backenbize. No legs. ;)

Soldato
Haha alright, I'll let the legs rest.

I was wondering about the Periodization guide posted before ( https://www.strongerbyscience.com/m...aining-routine-more-effective-two-quick-tips/ )
I'm going ahead with it for the OHP, and I was wondering about when you change from 3x8->5x5->5x3 do you deload the weight each time? or do you keep the same weight?
So:
3x8 @ 40Kg
3x8 @ 42.5Kg
FAIL @ 45Kg
5x5 @ 45Kg
5x5 @ 47.5Kg
etc etc etc
or would you take 10-15% off when you go to 5x5?

Soldato
just a quick question - I hurt my shoulder 2 weeks ago and ive been taking time off - its starting to feel better....

Its weird - I get a sharp shooting pain on the outside bit of shoulder when reaching across my body (e.g. washing under my armpit) (this has eased a bit)

Was also getting pain when lay down in bed but that has subsided a lot.....

Any ideas?

Man of Honour
just a quick question - I hurt my shoulder 2 weeks ago and ive been taking time off - its starting to feel better....

Its weird - I get a sharp shooting pain on the outside bit of shoulder when reaching across my body (e.g. washing under my armpit) (this has eased a bit)

Any ideas?

Rest and physio if it doesn't improve.

Man of Honour
OP

Any ideas?

Your body is telling you to train legs.

Man of Honour
Anyone else have to nap after a workout? My bed feels very comfortable when i get back and have a 10 min sleep or 2 hours if I forget to set an alarm...

I feel like I could after deadlift sessions - but I always resist because I know that if I sleep in the day I will feel even worse when I wake up.

Man of Honour
Back to work next week. I will miss not having the gym to myself in the day. Back to the 6pm busy slot. It has been a good 9 weeks though!

Last year in work I added protein shakes to break and after work to fill the gap. This year I am going to add a mid afternoon nutty Muslei and Greek yoghurt to fill the gap with some unflavoured whey to up the protein slightly. A microwave would make things easier.

Associate
Back to work next week. I will miss not having the gym to myself in the day. Back to the 6pm busy slot. It has been a good 9 weeks though!

Last year in work I added protein shakes to break and after work to fill the gap. This year I am going to add a mid afternoon nutty Muslei and Greek yoghurt to fill the gap with some unflavoured whey to up the protein slightly. A microwave would make things easier.

Can't go before work? I went to my gym only once at 6pm and it was so busy I went home and left it. Only go in the mornings now before work, hardly anyone there :)

Soldato
Bench has stalled at 55 kg again. I realise this is a puny amount to hit problems, but it seems to be a common sticking point for me. I can manage 1 set of 5 and then its down hill from there.

Problem seems to be tricep related, standard for me, I get the bar off my chest fine but then don't have the drive to go the rest of the way. Worth adding CGBP into the routine?

Its worth noting that I'm dieting to try and lose some bodyfat, so understandable that I'm not seeing much positive progress, but given I'm such a novice lifter this seems a strange place to plateau?

Man of Honour
Can't go before work? I went to my gym only once at 6pm and it was so busy I went home and left it. Only go in the mornings now before work, hardly anyone there :)

Doesn't open early enough. Plus I am terrible in the mornings! Squat racks are the main problem. I usually get lucky though - and then hog one (I do use it actively though unlike most in there).

Man of Honour
Bench has stalled at 55 kg again. I realise this is a puny amount to hit problems, but it seems to be a common sticking point for me. I can manage 1 set of 5 and then its down hill from there.

Problem seems to be tricep related, standard for me, I get the bar off my chest fine but then don't have the drive to go the rest of the way. Worth adding CGBP into the routine?

Its worth noting that I'm dieting to try and lose some bodyfat, so understandable that I'm not seeing much positive progress, but given I'm such a novice lifter this seems a strange place to plateau?

Definitely get some CGBP and some dumbbell work in there. There is a good, but tough program floating around here somewhere. Worry less about weight and more about form...or you end up like me in physio. Shoulders held me back - not in terms of outright strength, but in terms of stability.

Edit - https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-2016-gym-rats-thread.18710906/page-58#post-29878006

Man of Honour
OP

What is your form like? Are your elbows at 45 degrees from your torso? Are your forearms vertical throughout? Where does the bar touch your body? Is your core braced? Are your feet planted?

Do you do any back work?

Soldato
I suggest not over thinking it and just benching more (assuming you're not a professional cyclist and it's nowhere near a BW lift). How many times a week are you doing it?

Soldato
What is your form like? Are your elbows at 45 degrees from your torso? Are your forearms vertical throughout? Where does the bar touch your body? Is your core braced? Are your feet planted?

Do you do any back work?

I think I'm ok form wise, I have an experienced lifter who spots me on our sessions and is quick to point out any faults in my form. I'll reassess the next time I do it just to be sure, but I'm reasonably confident my forearms remain verticle, bar touches down just above the nipples, feet are planted so there is no wobble.

I lift 6 days a week at the moment, its a bit of crash program as I've come out of a relationship and I'm working to get back into fighting shape and regain my confidence. Bench is twice a week, Legs twice a week, Back and Shoulders once a week each. My back isn't particularly strong, I deadift my BW at the moment which is 90kg x 8 x 3. Don't have the lat strength for pull-ups etc. It could be a case of overtraining or not enough calories / rest making me plateau this early but 55kg has been a common stalling point for me so just strange to hit it again.

Associate
I think I'm ok form wise, I have an experienced lifter who spots me on our sessions and is quick to point out any faults in my form. I'll reassess the next time I do it just to be sure, but I'm reasonably confident my forearms remain verticle, bar touches down just above the nipples, feet are planted so there is no wobble.

I lift 6 days a week at the moment, its a bit of crash program as I've come out of a relationship and I'm working to get back into fighting shape and regain my confidence. Bench is twice a week, Legs twice a week, Back and Shoulders once a week each. My back isn't particularly strong, I deadift my BW at the moment which is 90kg x 8 x 3. Don't have the lat strength for pull-ups etc. It could be a case of overtraining or not enough calories / rest making me plateau this early but 55kg has been a common stalling point for me so just strange to hit it again.

Try reducing your frequency. I plateaued on almost all my lifts when lifting 6 days per week so I dropped to 4 days and every lift increased. Recovery is just as important as the work you do in the gym.

Man of Honour
OP
Try reducing your frequency. I plateaued on almost all my lifts when lifting 6 days per week so I dropped to 4 days and every lift increased. Recovery is just as important as the work you do in the gym.

This is potentially it. If you are a novice lifter, three days of lifting a week is plenty.

Why?

Because you central nervous system is not up to much more than that unless you are unusual. And strength/swole training is as much about your nervous system as your actual muscles.

So accept your new beau swiped left for your as-is state and wind yourself back in for a bit. :)

Or ditch the "new partner exertions" and get at least 8hrs sleep a night, whilst eating everything you see.

And for the love of all that is holy: if you can't do a single chin up you don't deserve to improve your bench. ;)

Back
Top Bottom