*** The 2017 Gym Rats Thread ***

Associate
It does look a bit suspect, but is pretty effective in what it does.
There's some research paper testing a small group here:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2971639/

Thanks for that, I am doing something similar with short bar and rope with 1kg weight attached to the end. It's been like this for the last 2 months. I think the exercises from physio made it worst.

Soldato
I've just signed up to a gym (for the first time ever). I'm not massively overweight, but I have done barely any exercise since working full time at a desk, apart from the odd rare day of football or something. I'll be hopefully trying to go daily, or a few days a week in the 3 weeks I have between starting a new job.. and hopefully get into a nice routine.

So my question.. I've never set foot in a gym, and no idea where to start. I'll obviously do the induction etc, but can anyone recommend a fairly simple routine to get be started? At the moment it's just for general fitness/weight loss, but happy to begin where ever is necessary!

Man of Honour
OP
I've just signed up to a gym (for the first time ever). I'm not massively overweight, but I have done barely any exercise since working full time at a desk, apart from the odd rare day of football or something. I'll be hopefully trying to go daily, or a few days a week in the 3 weeks I have between starting a new job.. and hopefully get into a nice routine.

So my question.. I've never set foot in a gym, and no idea where to start. I'll obviously do the induction etc, but can anyone recommend a fairly simple routine to get be started? At the moment it's just for general fitness/weight loss, but happy to begin where ever is necessary!

Stronglifts. :)

Soldato
What he said. The reason being that it teaches you how to do the major complex movements (squat, bench, Deadlift) which are the cornerstone of fitness. Isolation movements like bicep curls may feel nice but will do very little compared to a multi muscle complex movement.

Soldato
So, this guy squatted 305KG for 2 reps yesterday. He's 22 and weighs approx 100KG. Truly incredible.

Why did I not meet many strong people when I could lift?

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey,
I've been having success adapting my stronglifts with periodisation (as linked a while back now)
but I was wondering what I should do with Deadlifts?
I currently do the warm-ups and then 1x5 of the working weight.
what sort of rep scheme would people suggest? As I've been told to be careful adding too much volume too quick with DL

Man of Honour
OP
Hey,
I've been having success adapting my stronglifts with periodisation (as linked a while back now)
but I was wondering what I should do with Deadlifts?
I currently do the warm-ups and then 1x5 of the working weight.
what sort of rep scheme would people suggest? As I've been told to be careful adding too much volume too quick with DL

3 sets of 5.

Soldato
Bros, I don't even lift anymore :(

I've been boxing 3 times a week and have certainly lost some muscle mass - I have a fight scheduled for December 2nd after which I'll be back on the gains train, will you take me back?

Associate
I joined the gym again last week, I kind of see it as my last chance saloon. After many gym memberships I've never taken advantage of, this is my last attempt at it. I took upcycling earlier in the year to do the Manchester 100k ride for charity. I really got into it and want to carry on over winter but am not keen on road cycling in the dark.

My wife also joined so we are trying to juggle it as well as two young children. So at the moment I'm going twice a week, with the intention to move to 3 days if I can. I did some dieting a while back so thankfully weigh a few kg less than the last time I lost interest.

So far it seems to be going well! I've actually started Pilates on a Tuesday which is more taxing than I would have thought! Friday I'm doing 20 minutes of sprint 8, followed by 40 minutes on the bikes.

I'm hoping to add weights into the mix eventually, I'd like to try to swap fat for muscle.

bDES1Lu.png 5d5STOi.png

Associate
It does look a bit suspect, but is pretty effective in what it does.
There's some research paper testing a small group here:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2971639/

I started doing this exercise couple weeks ago and it seems that the pain is easing slowly. I still cannot lift heavy things but at least I can move my arm without excruciating pain. I have operation scheduled in November but i think I will pass. Anyone had operation done here for tennis elbow?

Associate
So today marks the year and half point since starting the gym.

Looking back on what I've achieved in that time has really made me feel good about myself.

Now i know these aren't to write home about but i'm happy with how I've progressed.

Deadlift 1RM 180kg
Bench 1RM 100kg
Squat 1RM 130kg

Currently weighing between 83kg and 85kg

Soldato

Looking back on what I've achieved in that time has really made me feel good about myself.

Now i know these aren't to write home about but i'm happy with how I've progressed.

Deadlift 1RM 180kg
Bench 1RM 100kg
Squat 1RM 130kg

Congrats mate!

My Garmin Vivoactive HR GPS Smartwatch with Heart Rate Monitor and
Garmin Premium Heart Rate Monitor Strap have arrived at home today and I can't wait to try them out at the gym tonight.

Associate

Deadlift 1RM 180kg---->180kg few reps
Bench 1RM 100kg----->125kg few reps
Squat 1RM 130kg----->140kg few reps

How tall are you? You seem to have similar gains to the one I had when I could lift. I was pushed by gym buddies and gained around 20kg in one year. (not all muscle).
Consistence is the key.

Associate
Congrats mate!

My Garmin Vivoactive HR GPS Smartwatch with Heart Rate Monitor and
Garmin Premium Heart Rate Monitor Strap have arrived at home today and I can't wait to try them out at the gym tonight.

Thanks bud!

How tall are you? You seem to have similar gains to the one I had when I could lift. I was pushed by gym buddies and gained around 20kg in one year. (not all muscle).
Consistence is the key.

I'm 5' 10 mate. I started out at 73kg.

Soldato
Started doing Stronglifts. Is it normal to get through the workout in about 20 minutes? Should I be doing extras or just stick with it and only do one session a day (each day seems to be 3 exercises of 5 reps of 5 sets except for dead lifts.)

Back
Top Bottom