*** The 2017 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
Uurgh, had a gymnastics/handstand class.
I knew I wasn't that flexible, but I was told I was the most inflexible person they'd trained :(
I try and do stretches every day but I think I'm either doing the wrong ones or not enough.
Do people have like, a proper routine they go through?

What stretches are you doing? Passive ones are mostly a waste of time, better off doing dynamic ones and loaded ones that progress you towards positions you want to be able to achieve. If you follow folks like GymnasticBodies and GMB on Instagram you'll see a lot of the mobility work they do, which is all in that vein.

Soldato
been faffing around with training too much recently. too much "assistance work" and not enough heavy lifting.

so I've gone back to what works 5x5 felt nice last week, I do enjoy squatting :)

Also did hot yoga 2 times and throughly enjoyed it :)

Soldato
Search limber 11 for a good lower body stretch routine. I used to do this three times per week but I must admit I haven't done it for about six months - I found it difficult to keep doing it on top of lifting 5-6 times per week and cardio.
What stretches are you doing? Passive ones are mostly a waste of time, better off doing dynamic ones and loaded ones that progress you towards positions you want to be able to achieve. If you follow folks like GymnasticBodies and GMB on Instagram you'll see a lot of the mobility work they do, which is all in that vein.

Yeah I'm doing passive ones mostly I'd say.
Being honest it makes me feel better knowing that the things I'm doing don't work haha, let's me know that I can find the right track

Soldato
Yeah I'm doing passive ones mostly I'd say.
Being honest it makes me feel better knowing that the things I'm doing don't work haha, let's me know that I can find the right track

try some yoga classes? or go see a sports therapist for a brutal massage?

I struggle with my legs always have done and these two things worked wonders for me

Soldato
try some yoga classes? or go see a sports therapist for a brutal massage?

I struggle with my legs always have done and these two things worked wonders for me

I've got a voucher for a sports massage for my birthday, I should use it.

I could do some yoga(like follow a youtube person) but for the last couple of days I've been doing some GMB routines, dunno which is better

Soldato
I've got a voucher for a sports massage for my birthday, I should use it.

I could do some yoga(like follow a youtube person) but for the last couple of days I've been doing some GMB routines, dunno which is better

Both use the same principles and similar postures, although GMB will probably use more loaded stretches and to-the-point drills because their flexibility work is 'work' which you'll probably find more time-efficient. Yoga is a practice that's essentially gymnastics (without any equipment) + mindfulness, but it's not really 'about' flexibility per se, that's just a byproduct that comes as a result of consistent and mindful practice, with a typical class usually covering the whole body and being more of an ongoing road-test where you can take certain variations of a posture to make it easier if it's not accessible to you yet. Whatever you pick, just be aware you usually already have the flexibility in your body, but it's just not available because your CNS stops you from going any further in certain positions, so kind of like how you wouldn't yank a seat-belt, with any stretch it's important to not try and force yourself as far into it as you can, aim to have correct body alignment so you're actually stretching what you're meant to be stretching, and to elicit a relaxation response by being mindful of your breathing and keeping it relaxed and slow, since this will let you go deeper into any given position compared to if your body felt stressed.

Man of Honour
Have been reflecting on my gym progress over the last few days. This time last year I hit a huge plateau in my training and eventually broke through this by upping my calorie intake (as suggested here). I eat at least 1/2kg meat now and get in a bit of peanut butter during the day for that extra boost. Considering I am not putting on any significant long lasting body fat, looking back I was seriously under eating.

Have been injured several times this year - the two biggest setbacks being my rib fracture and AC joint inflammation. My shoulder is now 98% good and I can finally incline press and dumbell bench bress without any pain (have been doing so for a little while now) and have recently incorporated light flys. Looking to start my barbell bench program back up soon, but with lighter weights and half the volume I was doing before.

Other than chest all of my other exercises are the strongest they have been (and funnily my chest looks better than it did before).

What I have definitely learnt is that there is no quick fix. I take more rest days than I used to (generally one after 3 days) and now look much more to the 'long game' than short term gains. For the first time I am also happy with my current build.

I still use reiyushin's squat program (minus the front squat bit to protect my AC joint) and deadlift. Comfortably add 2.5kg every 3 weeks. Looking to start the bench again, but spreading it out more.

Shoulders are my current sticking point. They have grown, but stuck at 70kg standing press at the moment - hoping the 531 program will get me through this.

Last edited:
Associate
I've changed programs which has resulted in my compound exercise volume almost tripling what I was doing before. The workouts are awesome but 1.5 weeks in and my elbows and knees are feeling sore. Has anyone had this after increasing frequency?

I'm thinking I'll just up my calories to ensure I recover properly.

Man of Honour
OP
I've changed programs which has resulted in my compound exercise volume almost tripling what I was doing before. The workouts are awesome but 1.5 weeks in and my elbows and knees are feeling sore. Has anyone had this after increasing frequency?

I'm thinking I'll just up my calories to ensure I recover properly.

Depends which bits are sore: tendon insertions are to be expected, but joint pain is not (generally speaking)...

And nice work, CaptainRAVE.

Associate
Hi Guys,

I've created a routine based off 5 3 1 could you guys have a look after the balance of accessory work?

My previous program was around 24 sets on bench day and 13 sets on squat and deadlift day so the template I base this off was only 12 sets so wanted to up the volume a little.

I've made two different variations to try see what worked better before doing it.

https://imgur.com/trSZw4m
https://imgur.com/SiAEFlW

trSZw4m.png l6eDG2K.png
SBAbE

sRdqQ

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Hi Guys,

I've created a routine based off 5 3 1 could you guys have a look after the balance of accessory work?

My previous program was around 24 sets on bench day and 13 sets on squat and deadlift day so the template I base this off was only 12 sets so wanted to up the volume a little.

I've made two different variations to try see what worked better before doing it.

https://imgur.com/trSZw4m
https://imgur.com/SiAEFlW

trSZw4m.png l6eDG2K.png
SBAbE

sRdqQ

What manner of sissiness is this? No deficit Bulgarian split squats? GTFunkO. :mad:

And biciep curlz have been proven to make you blind: please swap for brocep curlz..

Man of Honour
Ouch - first time ever I have torn a callus on my hand deadlifting. Will press on with straps then I guess :p

What do I do with it now? It isn't loose enough to come off. It's like a casm in there though :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got RFE SS for Bulgarian split squats which is pretty much the same thing? not sure if to take your reply serious or not lol.

Like mrthingyx I prefer doing them (the name is interchangable really) with both feet elevated; just stand on a 20-25kg bumper plate and there's your deficit. The best way to do them I've found is to use a pu$$y pad on the Smith machine and set the bar height fairly low, then you can hook your foot over it which is way more locked in than squishing your instep into a bench, which I've never found very comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom