*** The 2018 Gym Rats Thread ***

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Mixed grip is RIP for imbalances, you may not have noticed it before because you always trained through it but now you are starting again but with much better knowledge and mind muscle connection you will notice it!

Straps ftw. You're never going to compete in power lifting so there is zero reason not to strap up for top sets.

Yes but DYEL.

Soldato
Then any one of those will be great :) tbh they're practically identical since they're made to the same (maximum) specification so go with whatever you like the look of/cheapest :D

Soldato
Quick question about deadlifts. Hows your head meant to be? I always kept it looking straight a looking straight ahead which I think helps position/ brace your upper back more. But I seen a instructor showing someone to have so there head is almost looking to the ceiling.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Even more golden if you start the first rep by rolling the bar towards you as fas as you can, then making sure to bounce the bar off the floor heavily for each rep.

The bouncing is the thing that grates me the most. I was doing deadlifts today and a guy was waiting to use the platform. I look over later to seem him bouncing the bar like a chump. Honestly, can't believe people still do this, there are 100s of videos showing how to do a deadlift, and none of them advise: "make sure you slam the weight into the floor to get a nice rebound, and catch it on the way back up." I mean, who needs tension or control.

Anyway I digress.

Did a comfy 130x5x3 DOH deadlift today. I'm hoping my strength will come back fairly well. I need to focus still on loosening my right side up as my right erector is still less mobile than my left.

Edit
Just had a look at some of my old videos from 5 years ago (wow where does time go)... 195x8 deadlift. I have a lot of catching up to do.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I doubt I'll reach a 3xbw pull again, even if I am lighter now. The 195 was when I weighed 82kg, as was the 255 pull I managed in a comp. Happy to just be doing deadlifts consistently again after such a long break.

Associate
I feel my motivation slipping recently for the gym. I had a competition recently and got a 612.5 total but after a week off I've kind of been a bit meh about lifting.

Is this a sign I should start crossfit? :o

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I feel my motivation slipping recently for the gym. I had a competition recently and got a 612.5 total but after a week off I've kind of been a bit meh about lifting.

Is this a sign I should start crossfit? :o

I think it's pretty normal. The build up to a comp can be a good way to focus your training, then when it's over you may feel a bit lost. Plan the next comp, set some new PB targets and map out how to get there.

Back
Top Bottom