*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
I was missing range at the bottom because if I went any lower they wouldn't come up :) I could also feel my shoulder struggling to stabilise the weight properly.

Fair enough. I always end up in limbo with DB bench.

Once I get to 3x8 on whatever weight I'm using my form is good but when I move up (they are only 2kg increments) my form is more like the above (just past 90 degrees at my elbows but still a little range left), then by the time I get to 3x8 it's good again. I'm not really sure there's much of a way around it for me.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime

Once I get to 3x8 on whatever weight I'm using my form is good but when I move up (they are only 2kg increments) my form is more like the above (just past 90 degrees at my elbows but still a little range left), then by the time I get to 3x8 it's good again. I'm not really sure there's much of a way around it for me.

Well I predominately do flat bench press, this allows me to lift more weight and there is some carry over to the incline DB press. To stabilise the heavier DBs requires good shoulder and back strength.

Man of Honour

I do the other way round, 8 sets of 3 :)

Just wish there were more than 50kg dumbbells in my gym. Thank goodness my shoulder is good enough to use the bar for every chest position again. On the plus side, I am absolutely strict about keeping all tension on my chest now and having a defective shoulder forced me to correct my form and also told me when I wasn’t following correct form.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Ours only goes to 40kg, but I'm not even using the 30s yet ss meh :p

Personally I've tried heavier DBs in some other gyms and they were a bit too big/unwieldy. I think I used the 60s.

For me the 50s will always be enough as a secondary movement, the bench press is where I go to shift the larger weight.

Caporegime
Personally I've tried heavier DBs in some other gyms and they were a bit too big/unwieldy. I think I used the 60s.

For me the 50s will always be enough as a secondary movement, the bench press is where I go to shift the larger weight.

Aye true enough.

I haven't bench pressed in over a year because the bench at my previous gym was horrendous, maybe I'll try this year haha

Man of Honour
Good advice last week about not using a belt for deadlift yet at 127.5kg. Got through it no prob. Squat at 120kg is starting to feel heavy but got my reps OK. All getting hard now but failed again on OH press 5X5 at 42.5kg. Can feel my form going on OHP towards the end, back starting to arch.

Soldato
Yeah I've been concentrating so hard on my squats, I've barely been paying attention to my other lifts. Deadlift form is ok but grip needs serious work, press stuck at 38kg dumbbells for a month now.

I do also have a tendency to arch my back towards the end on the OH press but most surprising part is that with my dodgy shoulders I manage 50kg (with the bar) 5x5. Put me on a fully inclined bench and give me 20kg dumb bells and my shoulders will be screaming in pain (and not the good kind) after first 2 sets.

Man of Honour
I'm finding bench press OK. Have had one failed rep so far on bench on SL. Now in 70s. OH press I struggle more often than not!

Man of Honour
OHP is always a slow gainer. It is my weakest by far. I stall so often - then I have weeks when I have no trouble at all. Very unpredictable I find.

The one thing that I have consistently found to help OHP is volume. Lots of volume. Sets of 8 or 10 or more complicated "ramp-test-ramp-test" regimes...

Besides... a little bit of hypertrophy never hurt anybody. :cool:

Man of Honour
It's funny I can see a difference in my shoulders already, less so elsewhere. I think all the stuff I had been haphazardly doing in the gym prior to strong lifts was not having any benefit on shoulders so they have catching up to do.

Associate
I read an article on bodybuiding.com about the benefits of doing overhead push press to help with shoulder muscle/strength building. I will try to find the article later when I get home.

It basically said that obviously doing the push press you can shift a lot more weight up than you can with the strict press. Although that in itself doesn't help massively as you are not just using your shoulders, as long as you bring the weight back down in a slow, controlled manager, you will benefit from it.

It seems to have helped me at the moment, might be worth trying if you find yourself stalling.

Soldato
First 2 weeks are the most brutal. I legitimately almost fell down the stairs a few times in my first week, you kinda just can't stop your momentum :D

Back
Top Bottom