The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

Soldato
Found a Black Star for sale on GunStar a few days ago so snapped it up. It's going to take a lot of practise to shoot this accurately.

Then again, it's still dieseling quite badly, so it might calm down a bit once the oil ha burnt off.

DSC_3122.jpg

DSC_3119.jpg

DSC_3152.jpg

@ 10 meters with .177 Venom Lazadomes

Permabanned
Last edited:
Soldato
I think for that budget you would be limited to a spring powered rifle as you would need a pump or divers bottle to charge a PCP and that would be over budget. You could possibly get a second hand Air Arms S200 and a stirrup pump with a cheap scope in budget. This would actually be a great startup rifle and can be converted to multi shot with a simple mod available from Air Arms.

If you would rather go for a spring powered rifle and you don't mind the weight, an Air Arms TX200 or a Weihrauch HW97k are both great rifles. Both look good, and are almost as accurate as a PCP when you learn how to shoot them.

If you want a springer that is light, then the HW95 with a silencer is a good rifle. Its the lightweight version of the HW80 that is more suited to 12ft/lb. It has a much better trigger than the BSA break barrels, my BSA Lightnings trigger feels like a toy compared to the Record trigger of the HW95.

I also like the looks of those Co2 revolvers btw. Its a shame the barrels are not rifles though. I guess they are more of a BB fun gun for plinking cans.

Permabanned
I think for that budget you would be limited to a spring powered rifle as you would need a pump or divers bottle to charge a PCP and that would be over budget. You could possibly get a second hand Air Arms S200 and a stirrup pump with a cheap scope in budget. This would actually be a great startup rifle and can be converted to multi shot with a simple mod available from Air Arms.

If you would rather go for a spring powered rifle and you don't mind the weight, an Air Arms TX200 or a Weihrauch HW97k are both great rifles. Both look good, and are almost as accurate as a PCP when you learn how to shoot them.

If you want a springer that is light, then the HW95 with a silencer is a good rifle. Its the lightweight version of the HW80 that is more suited to 12ft/lb. It has a much better trigger than the BSA break barrels, my BSA Lightnings trigger feels like a toy compared to the Record trigger of the HW95.

I also like the looks of those Co2 revolvers btw. Its a shame the barrels are not rifles though. I guess they are more of a BB fun gun for plinking cans.

right ok, so it looks like it's going to be a spring then, spotted this one and I really like the look of it, would this be ok?

http://www.swillingtonshootingsupplies.co.uk/store/product/6448/BSA-Lightning-XL-Tactical/

Also, would it be worth considering a c02 rifle? Thanks.

Soldato
right ok, so it looks like it's going to be a spring then, spotted this one and I really like the look of it, would this be ok?

http://www.swillingtonshootingsupplies.co.uk/store/product/6448/BSA-Lightning-XL-Tactical/

Don't bother with C02 - the power fluctuates with temperature, so your point of impact can change with the weather. At your budget, stick with a springer - I'd agree with Mark A - either the AirArms TX200 or the Weihrauch HW97 - both are solid, reliable guns.

Haven't owned or shot the BSA so can't really give comment on it. :)

Soldato
Lovely gun that Black Star :)

Also, I have a friend that has a paratrooper as well. Nice rifle :) Could do with some TLC and maintenance though!

Would love to get an air rifle but honestly have no reason to have one.

Associate
Found a Black Star for sale on GunStar a few days ago so snapped it up. It's going to take a lot of practise to shoot this accurately.

Then again, it's still dieseling quite badly, so it might calm down a bit once the oil ha burnt off.

@ 10 meters with .177 Venom Lazadomes

Looks good grouping that 45HW pistol. Looking to buy one also can be used if find one at good price and good nick.

Soldato

I own the original Lightning and its not bad, but I think the HW95 would be a better option. Might be a good idea to go to a gun shop and have a go of both. I'm also not sure what the quality of BSA guns is like now they have been taken over.

Also the HW95 has a bit more weight to it to soak up the recoil, so should be a little more forgiving.

http://airgunbuyer.com/details.asp?cat=Air Rifles&SubCat=Weihrauch Air Rifles&Product=69

I'm thinking of selling my Rapid7 (Picture in post 355) where is the best place to sell air guns these days?

I have bought and sold a fair bit on the Airgun BBS. Only problem is they don't have any protection in place for the buyer or seller, e.g, no minimum post count, no trust system etc. Also I believe that Paypal prohibits the sale of airguns in their terms and conditions so they don't want to know if there is a problem. If i was you i'd stipulate face to face deal on an expensive airgun like that.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Brilliant, thanks guys, really like that HW95 and just checked for stock at gunshop and they have them in. Very much appreciated. Will be getting one in about 4 weeks time. Now to check out the local gun club.

Associate
My Weihrauch HW100 S .22 - bought just before the VCR ban came in so had it a few years now - can't believe I spent nearly £800 in all on it but it's been worth while!

My mates got the AA S410 TDR which is an ace little bit of kit - especially since it's far easier to transport than mine :p

Am going to give the walnut stock a good clean and treat it soon as it's getting a bit dry!

Awesome!

Soldato
DSC_3164.jpg

Bought a Hawk red dot sight off a guy on the Airgun BBS. I found it far easier to aim at the target but unfortunately it made the gun a bit muzzle heavy and my shots kept going low.

I might pop it onto my Cometa 300 as that doesn't have a scope on it currently.

DSC_3210.jpg

Here's my 25 meter range :D. Put some kitchen cabinet sides as a backstop and the target box has a piece of ply at the back, then some high density foam padding and then the front is stuffed with polyester fibre from a cushion.

I have been shooting all day and so far no police have turned up so hopefully I can shoot more often.

Associate
Mark A congrats on tidy 25 meter range. Remember you can shoot at 3 positions: standing, kneeling and prone. Just like in Battlefield 3.

If things go well I'll get my HW 45 soon. Yours looks good with that laser.

Only have 5-10 m shooting range at moment. But if anyone kind in london south area has one going on that is at leats 20 meters + I'd love to come along for regular shootings and have a beer or two if permitted.

Please do let me know if you do regular shootings and live in south London.

Arek blesses

Soldato

Here's my 25 meter range :D. Put some kitchen cabinet sides as a backstop and the target box has a piece of ply at the back, then some high density foam padding and then the front is stuffed with polyester fibre from a cushion.

I have been shooting all day and so far no police have turned up so hopefully I can shoot more often.

You should have spent some time cutting the grass :eek::D

Nice range - that fence should also help to keep the breeze away! Even if the police do come round, you're doing nothing wrong and that looks like a very safe setup. They'll have a look and say carry on!

I'm lucky - I've got a 35 yard range in the back garden for plinking :)

arekgreenman888 - it's not a laser, it's a red dot sight.

Soldato
I cut the grass today :p

I'd love a 35 yard range, it would be a lot better for using my rifles. My garden was actually around that size but it narrows at the end so the shed had to be set forward unfortunately. It does make a great backstop with it being the full width of the garden though :).

KNOCKDOWN-TARGET-ZSMKNOCKDOWN-500x500.jpg

This is going to be my next purchase I think. You shoot the animals and then hit the middle disk to reset them all. Looks like fun from the videos I have seen on youtube.

Soldato
I've yet to get around to staining the HW100 but have now got a new scope (MTC Viper) for it and a bipod.

The lower rifle is an Air Arms Pro Sport - superb bit of kit - just need a slightly better scope now as that one's a mates old one :p

Back
Top Bottom