The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

Associate
How many pellets have you had through your air gun? I am coming soon to 10.000 mark with one lubing at 5000k.

Things are going well tx200hc is a well made rifle. English quality second to none just like Royce Royce.

Man of Honour
Just remember for an air rifle that is more powerful than 12 ft lb, (16.25J) you must have a firearm certificate ;)

He won't have to worry about that buying from a shop; and if a legally held FAC rifle is bought 2nd hand or new you need the FAC in hand to buy.

Most likely the only time you could unknowingly buy an FAC rated rifle is a modded pre-charged rifle done by an an amateur.

Soldato
All I would add is to buy something half decent or he wont be able to hit the target and it'll probably put him off shooting, rather than encourage. Stay well away from the really cheap Chinese rifles, like the B2 as they are utter cr@p. They are often bought as a first gun as they're so cheap, but they are cheap for a reason.

The airgun posted above by spankingtexan are supposed to be very good for a mid powered beginners rifle. Something like that would be ideal. My first rifle was a Cometa 300 and I would highly recommend one of these, although it does seem they have raised the price since I bought mine a long while back.

I'd also suggest that you get a rifle with open sights, rather than a scope.

Soldato
Just to add my opinion, buy a .177. The reason is at legal limits they fly much faster an therefore have a flatter trajectory (less hold over/under) and is easier to shoot. Lots of people bang on about how .22 has much better stopping power (if you boy does decide to hunt when his older) but at the end of the day a .177 still has the power to kill a rabbit a 100yds (although the chance of accurately hitting it is pretty much 0). If you son is only ever going to paper punch/plink then any energy retention advantage of a .22 is massively outweighed by the rollercoaster trajectory.

Another thing to think about is even though it's an air rifle a .177 can pass through much more than.you expect, a pellet could easily pass though an inch of ply, your fence and your neighbours dog in one, fired in the air it could travel hundreds of yards and getting shot in the neck or eye could end very badly especially for a kid. Oh one last thing wear eye protection a ricochet can hurt but will pop your eye if you are unlucky.

Soldato
My brother has my .22 air rifle from old, that I had from when I was young. He's been using it to obliterate pigeons from the B&Q warehouse that he manages.

If I were to put up the details of it, would you guys be able to tell me what spring I could use to refresh it? I'm hoping it's a brand you guys might recognise.

Is this even feasible/safe, come to think of it?

Also, what pellets are worth getting and where do you guys get them from?

Soldato
My brother has my .22 air rifle from old, that I had from when I was young. He's been using it to obliterate pigeons from the B&Q warehouse that he manages.

If I were to put up the details of it, would you guys be able to tell me what spring I could use to refresh it? I'm hoping it's a brand you guys might recognise.

Is this even feasible/safe, come to think of it?

Also, what pellets are worth getting and where do you guys get them from?
I use either AirArms Fields in 5.52mm (.22) or H&N FTT's also in 5.52mm, but different guns prefer different pellets. I get mine from a local gunshop.

With regards to your brother's gun - put the details up :) You really need access to a chrono to check the power output of the gun - it may be running at the legal limit already :)

Soldato
I'm thinking about getting a bipod for my Gamo Hornet. There is one on JSR for £20 that looks ok, is this going to be better than resting my arm on my knee? :) Do they stick to the surface so that you can aim up and down as if you were holding it?

Also, I'm coming up 1000 shots, what should I use to clean and lube the rifle? :D

The thread merge looks confusing so bumping this :)

Associate
I'm thinking about getting a bipod for my Gamo Hornet. There is one on JSR for £20 that looks ok, is this going to be better than resting my arm on my knee? :) Do they stick to the surface so that you can aim up and down as if you were holding it?

Also, I'm coming up 1000 shots, what should I use to clean and lube the rifle? :D

I clean every 5000 shots... Seems ok and things are working out. But if you use inferior quality rifle you may need to clean more often. I use top of the range guns only! I am so good that sometimes I astound my self.

Man of Honour
I know my guns well and I know am a good shooter. Simple is the truth.

I've owned; maintained, stripped and rebuilt, modified, improved, broken, made awesome, made lame and shot many air weapons and a couple other types of gun over the years but I still can't claim to know my guns well.

My friend dose though, although he had a quality clothes outlet for many years his passion was his skill as a gunsmith and very good marksman.

Man of Honour
I clean every 5000 shots... Seems ok and things are working out. But if you use inferior quality rifle you may need to clean more often. I use top of the range guns only! I am so good that sometimes I astound my self.

Top of the range but only cleaned every 5000 rounds, quite.......

Exactly what top of the range guns do you use that are so tolerant of the build-up of lead that must be sitting in the barrel. Run your finger around the inside of your pellet tin and see it all coat your finger tip, dose the same to your barrel only it mixes with the oil and makes a kind of lead-tar like mix.

Soldato
Top of the range but only cleaned every 5000 rounds, quite.......

Exactly what top of the range guns do you use that are so tolerant of the build-up of lead that must be sitting in the barrel. Run your finger around the inside of your pellet tin and see it all coat your finger tip, dose the same to your barrel only it mixes with the oil and makes a kind of lead-tar like mix.

I have never cleaned my barrel after what must be tens of thousands of pellets. No problems with accuracy here.

Back
Top Bottom