The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

And finally, I got my Tanfoglio witness yesterday, now for some serious saving for the Weihrauch HW45 Blackstar and a sexy Webley Alecto, roll on Christmas.

imgp0835t.jpg

By spankingtexan at 2012-08-22

How can you tell if your gun is legal?

My dad bought a pellet gun in 1996 and i'm trying to see if it is still legal. The only info I can find is as follows, but I can't make head nor tail of it:

FEATURES INCLUDE:
- A single and double action trigger.
- Cross-bolt hammer block safety.
- 8 shots in 2.5 seconds at 380 fps.
- A full length ribbed shroud in the barrel and fully adjustable sights.

SPECIFICATIONS:
• Velocity: 380 feet per second
• CO2 Revolver with 8 shots
• Fires: 8 shots in 2.5 seconds
• CO2 capacity: 80 Shots
• Loading: Full swing out cylinder
• Barrel: 4” Precision Rifled Steel
• Accuracy: 0.30” Groups at 10 yards (Center to Center)
• Trigger: Double and Single action
• Manual safety
• Oversize Santoprene Grip
• Combat design with finger molding
• Non Slip surface engraving
• Rear Sight: Adjustable for Windage
• Weight: 1.35 lbs
• Length: 9.06”
• Ammunition: Any .177 Pellet
• Caliber: .177
• Trigger Pull – Double Action: 8.8 lbs
• Trigger Pull – Single Action: 6.6 lbs

How can you tell if your gun is legal?

My dad bought a pellet gun in 1996 and i'm trying to see if it is still legal. The only info I can find is as follows, but I can't make head nor tail of it:

SPECIFICATIONS:
• Velocity: 380 feet per second
• Revolver
• Barrel: 4” Precision Rifled Steel
• Ammunition: Any .177 Pellet
• Caliber: .177

Well with the above info, it would be classed as an air pistol, and as such must not be capable of producing more than 6 ftlbs of energy - 380fps with a heavy pellet is no more than 3 ftlbs, so in so long as your dad isn't a 'prohibited person', then yes - it's perfectly legal for him to own.

Do not use it or flash it about in public, and shoot in a safe manner. How about some pics? :)

having fun with it? How many times have you field stripped it? :)

tbh i've only fired 3 mags, 1 co2 bulb and am having more fun field stripping it, was a bit worried about doing this but it's much easier than I thought and now fear of wearing out the gun with constantly taking it apart and racking the slide :D
Watched some vids for field stripping a real 1911 and am amazed how accurate this cybergun is, who cares if it's only 320fps? the blowback and realism is awseome, FANTASTIC ;) I take it you own one of these guns?
Oh just looked back to your post 658 because I remember seeing pics of a witness stripped and it's yours.

Last edited:
Interested in getting a pistol, more for show than anything else, they look cool :D
Might take a pot shot in the field now and again. Or do i have to be certified and go to a proper shooting range?

Anyhow, could anyone reccomend any good websites to purchase airguns from, for starters?

Interested in getting a pistol, more for show than anything else, they look cool :D
Might take a pot shot in the field now and again. Or do i have to be certified and go to a proper shooting range?

Anyhow, could anyone reccomend any good websites to purchase airguns from, for starters?

Pellpax is ok and they will deliver for I think £20

http://www.pellpax.co.uk/

Check here for new and second hand guns...

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Air-Pistols-for-sale/Gun-Search.aspx?id=43&category=Air-Pistols

Gun shops in Manchester...

http://www.yell.com/s/gun+dealers+and+gunsmiths-manchester.html

Uk conditions for airguns..

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18009440&page=15

Last edited:

You cant buy anything new online, only private sales are allowed online. Everything else has to be face to face with the dealer.

Are you charged for getting a gun delivered to a local dealer? I'm interested in the Tanfoglio Witness but I don't think my local dealers stock it.

Are you charged for getting a gun delivered to a local dealer? I'm interested in the Tanfoglio Witness but I don't think my local dealers stock it.

I think most dealers make a small charge, contact them for prices. Pellpax will deliver airguns to your home because they do not use the post, they personaly deliver so it's face to face and I think it's £20, they also have in stock the Tanfoglio witness. Check post 855 for Pellpax link.

Last edited:
I got an email from Chambers gunsmiths and apparently the Royal mail are trying to ban any guns or spare parts being sent through them :(. This will put quite a few more companies out of business and also stop you from being able to buy second hand guns online. It's already hard as they scrapped the added insurance for standard parcels and put a length limit on the Special delivery.

The Royal Mail are proposing changes to ban the posting of firearms, air guns and component parts. This will affect all of our customers if these proposals go through and may result in the closure of T W Chambers and many other UK based gun shops as there is no other alternative service to ship your orders.
Please see the Royal Mail link below and respond to it before the 17th Sept 2012. As customers who rely on the Royal Mail to ship your orders to you, then you would be entitled to respond to these proposals. Overseas customers please also respond.
Please email your responses to [email protected] and cc it also to [email protected]

Link to Royal Mail proposals, http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/Proposals_to_prohibit_Firearms_from_postal_services.pdf

Thank You.

T W Chambers & Co

Back
Top Bottom