The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

Soldato
Daystate Airwolf, with Daystate FT pellets, if it aint broke dont try to fix it, at the club we shoot out to 90 meters and its still spot on so im not touching it.

Associate
I clean my shotguns and non-air rifles after every outing, but my Theoben MFR has fired over 15,000 pellets without cleaning the barrel and there is has been no change in accuracy or power.

Soldato
Arek is OcuKs 2012 troll of the year to be honest.

The only poster I've ever seen who posts things along the lines of "I'm the best at taking a Poo, I am so good."

Very WTF'ish :p

I haz 4090!
Don
Here's mine:

rifle2.jpg

Air Arms RN10 with MK3 regulator and custom stock. Scope is a Tasco Custom shop. It's all getting on a bit now and I haven't used it for years, but I can't bring myself to sell it. I will get back into FT shooting one day. I used to go with my dad but his knees have gone now bless him and he can't get up and down off the bean bag. :)

Associate
Howdy chaps.

Could anyone give me an advice on a nice little setup as to what equipment to go for.

Long story short, last night I met up with an old friend and he invited me to go shooting at night on a local golf course where he has permission to go and get rid of the rabbits.

He had a spare rifle and let me join in. It was great fun and i think i want to get into it all.

I'm just scouring second hand and used classified sites looking for guns but I dont really know what i'm looking at.

Anyone help me out?

Soldato
Howdy chaps.

Could anyone give me an advice on a nice little setup as to what equipment to go for.

Long story short, last night I met up with an old friend and he invited me to go shooting at night on a local golf course where he has permission to go and get rid of the rabbits.

He had a spare rifle and let me join in. It was great fun and i think i want to get into it all.

I'm just scouring second hand and used classified sites looking for guns but I dont really know what i'm looking at.

Anyone help me out?

http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/forum.php

This would be a good place to check, you can get some great advise from them and there are also some great deals in there for sale section.

Soldato
We had a bell at 100 yards at the club . Think i hit it once.. was aiming off my mildots just to get the range lol

Not impossible just pointless unless you zero for that range

Associate
I took the liberty of purchasing an Umarex Beretta PX4 Storm today. It's quite possibly the best .177 pistol I've had the pleasure of shooting, particularly because of it's blow back feature and drop-out magazine.
The only discernible drawback is that it misfires on occasion, although this could be attributed to the type of pellets used.

http://youtu.be/NLcQKtevYkU
(Not a review, but a quick clip)

Last edited:
Permabanned
I took the liberty of purchasing an Umarex Beretta PX4 Storm today. It's quite possibly the best .177 pistol I've had the pleasure of shooting, particularly because of it's blow back feature and drop-out magazine.
The only discernible drawback is that it misfires on occasion, although this could be attributed to the type of pellets used.

http://youtu.be/NLcQKtevYkU
(Not a review, but a quick clip)

That's a nice looker, if you are still having probs with misfires just try different pellets, I had a gamo PT-85 with exactly the same magazine system as your storm and also got misfires when using flat headed pellets, I found domed ones worked better.

Commissario
Looks interesting, the rotary pellet holders within the magazine are interesting and could make for quick reloads if used during a match. The only thing that concerns me there is the fact that it's using gas for the blow back effect which I'd guess could reduce the number of shots per cylinder.

How quickly can that magazine be dropped out, is it a push button/gravity release? With the more traditional umarex co2 pistols, I hit the 'open' lever with my left hand and simply flick the mag out to the right, while doing the flick, my left hand is going down to my belt for the next rotary mag to drop in, then it's hand on the top, pull back to close and back on target.

Associate
That's a nice looker, if you are still having probs with misfires just try different pellets, I had a gamo PT-85 with exactly the same magazine system as your storm and also got misfires when using flat headed pellets, I found domed ones worked better.

What pellets would you recommend specifically?

Looks interesting, the rotary pellet holders within the magazine are interesting and could make for quick reloads if used during a match. The only thing that concerns me there is the fact that it's using gas for the blow back effect which I'd guess could reduce the number of shots per cylinder.

How quickly can that magazine be dropped out, is it a push button/gravity release? With the more traditional umarex co2 pistols, I hit the 'open' lever with my left hand and simply flick the mag out to the right, while doing the flick, my left hand is going down to my belt for the next rotary mag to drop in, then it's hand on the top, pull back to close and back on target.

You're right in assuming that the blow back feature results in less shots per capsule, but it's a small price to pay for an otherwise authentic effect.
The magazine release is very prompt, as seen from "0.22" in the aforementioned video.

Soldato
90 metres on air at 12 ft/lbs? *raises eyebrow*

Yes 90m and its easy once your zeroed in.

Its a crap picture but here is our range, the back fence is 50m and is too easy to put pellet on pellet we shoot at .22 blanks for a nice bang so you know you have hit them.
Beyond the fence are targets in the trees out to 90m where we have a zeroeing type spinner board to allow you to zero in on windy days as a bit of wind blows you off a few inchs or more.

378870_10150627733008502_1636192465_n.jpg

Permabanned
What pellets would you recommend specifically?

You're right in assuming that the blow back feature results in less shots per capsule, but it's a small price to pay for an otherwise authentic effect.
The magazine release is very prompt, as seen from "0.22" in the aforementioned video.

There are so many different types of pellet and I haven't tried that many to be honest. I usually use RWS R 10 MATCH 7.0 gr for my pistols but it was these that caused misfires with my Gamo PT-85, I found Falcon 7.33 gr pellets worked best for the type of mags in your storm but there could be much better ones out there. Maybe someone else here could come in and offer you better advise, as I say I really haven't tried that many and would hate to recommend you a specific type only for you to find they aren't suitable for your pistol. Happy shooting ;)

Back
Top Bottom