The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

Soldato
I got an email from Chambers gunsmiths and apparently the Royal mail are trying to ban any guns or spare parts being sent through them :(. This will put quite a few more companies out of business and also stop you from being able to buy second hand guns online. It's already hard as they scrapped the added insurance for standard parcels and put a length limit on the Special delivery.

That's no good. There is a gun shop in my town but the things they sell are very overpriced and they don't really cater for the budget shooter, more for shotgun types.

Being able to buy some bits off JSR is great so I hope they don't make any changes regarding this.

Associate
I have a RWS Mod C225 pistol that I've not used for at lest 9 years. It still has a CO2 tube in the grip, is it safe to use? I do have a spare if it needs changing.

Permabanned
I have a RWS Mod C225 pistol that I've not used for at lest 9 years. It still has a CO2 tube in the grip, is it safe to use? I do have a spare if it needs changing.

Gosh 9 years, yep, take out that old co2 and pop another in. The worst that can happen is co2 ****ing out, make sure to drop a little silicon oil on top of the co2 powerlet before inserting. Good luck.

Last edited:
Associate
Cheers Quink, Nice advise and info.
UPDATE - Couldn't resist tinkering after your post, wire wooled away some of the rust and turns out it's a Diana mod 27 British Made. Site you linked me too is excellent and they do spares which is cool. going to need a lot of TLC the rust has had a field day and quite a lot of pitting already that I can see.

I'm away to Mongolia in a month so will be starting it when I get back and I have my life back. Think I won't be able to resist stripping it down before I go and making a start on the rust though. Cheers for the offer as well. I'll keep it in mind when I do start.

Good luck on your own restore, If your anything like myself about these things Its very therapeutic :)

Back from Mongolia and started to whittle away on the old Air rifle here --> Rusty Diana MOD 27

I've stripped it down, first time for me, and started degreasing and wire wooling the breach. Also been into Manchester airguns and asked them about it. Turns out it's date stamped on the stock was made way back in April 1953 by Milbro based in Scotland. They took the tooling machines from the Germans after the 2nd world war and used them to continue making Diana air rifles. looks like this one I have was made soon after production started in the UK. Very interesting history to it all.

Just ordered new internal parts from Chambers, new seals and spring which should take it back up to it's original power.if I can put it all back together again :)

I'm looking to keep the guns character that its developed over the last 59 years as much as I can, Not looking to Blue it if I can get the rust down to a nice aged patina and would rather not sand the stock down to bare wood if I can get away with it. It is in a mess though with old varnish and plenty of heavy scuffs "character" once again though so I'll see how that goes.

smallDiana27.jpg

IMG_2567.jpg

It's a shame it's aged so bad that the engraved image of the Goddess Diana is now barely visable apart from her bow arrow and the gun she's holding aloft.
IMG_2569.jpg

Was told this rear sight is worth more on it's own than the whole gun now.
IMG_2570.jpg

IMG_2572.jpg

Going to be a long slow project but good to do I hope.

Soldato
Just getting back into airguns and today picked up a Webley Alecto:
alecto.jpg

Not officially getting it until Christmas so it is being taken away from me until then :(
Can't wait to get to the range with it:D

Soldato
Just getting back into airguns and today picked up a Webley Alecto:
alecto.jpg
Not officially getting it until Christmas so it is being taken away from me until then :(
Can't wait to get to the range with it:D

Nice :cool:. I've heard only good things about this pistol so I'm sure you'll love it. I'm probably going to pick one up for myself next summer to add to my HW45.

Associate
Please spec me a good first air gun. Want it spring / barrel brake (not pre charge) so maintenacnce is minimal just like airarms tx200 of air rifles.

so far contenders are:

1. HW45
2. Webley Alecto
3. crossmann 1337 c

is there something better than those 3? ta

Soldato
Seems like you're after a single shot plinker as close to legal limit as possible? If so then the HW45 and Alecto are both good choices, but one is recoilless and the other kicks a lot. Depends what it is you are after.

Both are near enough maintenance free apart from a drop of oil on the pivots etc, plus i think the alecto needs oil in the air chamber after so many rounds.

Associate
Really liking HW45. Anyone know how it feels if you use it few times a week and let out 200-300 shots per session? I mean is the grip comfortable on the top part of this air gun after that many squeezes and pushes?

Soldato
The Alecto is a brilliant pistol. With one pump it is accurate to 10 metres, 2 pumps is 20m+ and 3 pumps a little further than that. No recoil, adjustable anatomical grips and the front sight flicks between 10m and 20m with no tools.

As much as I like mine I am selling it as I want a rifle. If you are anywhere near me feel free to drop me an email and we can arrange for you to have a go to see if it still a contender for you (not trying to sell you mine, just to let you try before you make your mind up).

Back
Top Bottom