The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

Soldato
Where can I buy one?

There are a few online shops that would deliver to your local dealer. I haven't actually got to the stage of looking for that buy button yet, though so I can't recommend any shop. My trouble is that I can't decide between that and a few different deactivated pieces.

Soldato
Soldato
I've recently acquired a Gmac'd Crosman 2260 which am currently stripping down for a trigger tune and stuck cart.

I had the Chinese QB version and they're such an under-rated rifle. I ended up modding the hell out of mine for my Granddad to use on the canal rats trying to get into his aviary. The forward cocking with a small bolt was very difficult for him so I got a golf ball on a 3in stick made as a cocking handle, a movable cheekpiece, shortened barrel with reflex silencer and some bits from across the pond to smooth out the trigger and keep a consistent 11fpe firing cycle.

Associate
crosman 2260 custom

I had the Chinese QB version and they're such an under-rated rifle. I ended up modding the hell out of mine for my Granddad to use on the canal rats trying to get into his aviary. The forward cocking with a small bolt was very difficult for him so I got a golf ball on a 3in stick made as a cocking handle, a movable cheekpiece, shortened barrel with reflex silencer and some bits from across the pond to smooth out the trigger and keep a consistent 11fpe firing cycle.

Yes very underated and now no longer sold in uk. However, like 2240 and 2250 have a good following as the base guns are easily modded for better results.

dsc0403fw.jpg

All the brass parts as follows supplied by Gordon at Gmac

Brass Breech and extended hollow probe
Power Adjuster
Power spring
Fully Adjustable Trigger
End cap
Barrel Band
Muzzle break & unf adaptor
Filler cap

I have just stripped gun down and carried out some basic mods including a full trigger tune

Just need to chrono now.

These guns are fun to work on and there is a load of info on modding available on-line

Last edited:
Soldato
^^ that's a nice example - those shiny brass bits are very nice! They respond so well to a little bit of fettling.

I've just decided to HPA my ratty. I want to mod the ratty some more, but it's annoying losing all the CO2 out of the 12g capsules each time I want to change the valve/hammer preload etc. I have a 12 litre air tank for my other pre-charged guns, so may as well make use of it!

I might put updates in this thread, if any one is interested!

Soldato

Yes it is - face to face sales only though due to the VCR act.

It's a nice replica of the 1911A1 - it even field strips in the same manner as the .45 ACP version. I got some wooden grips for mine which look and feel nicer. I've also polished the ejection port for that added 'realism'!

It is a gas guzzler though - I get about 4 mags (18 per mag) per CO2 capsule. The blowback is nice and firm, and the slide locks back when the mag is empty.

Great fun for tin can blasting!

f08f7d18-7f04-40d6-bb86-1e02b7438d1e_zpsb4c59082.jpg

Soldato
Please do! Love the polished parts, really go well with the black. Interested to see the other mods you mentioned.

Yes please :D

Right - this is it at the moment. The CO2 tube, barrel and barrel support have been striped and polished. The transfer port has been opened up to 4mm and has o rings top and bottom (the standard design relies on a metal to metal seal :eek:) The valve has had some threads removed, the port has been smoothed/angled and the end cap has been drilled to increase CO2 capacity.

It's putting out about 10 ft lbs at the moment (last tested on a warm day late summer/early autum 2012)

c5904f68-3458-44fa-bcfe-ab6dbf7e43a7_zps68d62c63.jpg

I've noticed the paint on the trigger assembly has started to flake off, so I might strip and repaint. First job is to get it converted to high pressure air. I will want to get an 18" barrel to increase shot count, but I may hold off until I see the capacity with hpa. Part of the attraction of the Ratty is it's small size and pointablility, making using it in confined areas, stables, barns, that kind of thing a real plus. I haven't decided (if I get it) if that will be left blued or polished yet. The steel breech is a must - that crappy Crosman plastic thing is awful, and I'm using those terrible Pro-Bblocks to mount the scope. They are a poor fit, and in totally the wrong place for decent eye relief. The steel breeches have dovetails for better scope mounting.

I'm in a quandary, as there are blued, brass and polished aluminium breeches available and I'm not sure which colour to go for. FWIW, the end cap will be brass (as part of the conversion to HPA).

I'm not sure where the air bottle will go - I'll order up all the bits and we'll see how we go.

Watch this space :)

Last edited:
Associate
The choice of breech is yours and will be a huge improvemnt over the plastic one though nice if you can opt for all the modded parts in same metal finish where possible.

I was also concerned at metal to metal contact at the top of the transfer port. Am using ptfe tape at moment but will be sourcing proper seals and a replacement for the 50thou hex breech screw shortly.

http://www.gmaccustomparts.com/epages/BT3197.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3197/Products/**0902

http://www.gmaccustomparts.com/epages/BT3197.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3197/Products/**0953

In the meantime look forward to updates of your ratty :)

Soldato

How I love my replicas.

How are you finding the GSG92 compared to the Witness? I've got a Umarex 92FS, but would like a better 92 copy - granted the GSG92 is not a true 92 replica, rather a Taurus PT92 clone, but that's close enough (The Beretta has a slide mounted safety, the Taurus a frame mounted one - there's a few other differences too ;) Gun geek much? :p)

I love shooting the Witness - how does the GSG92 stack up?

:)

Last edited:
Associate
Arek - some pics of your guns would be really good - cheers :)

Yes the rascal seems to be about but no pics :p

Has anyone tried the free chrono connect mobile app converts android phone to chronograph? accurate to within 5% of a real chrono when set up correctly.

http://www.chronoconnect.com/?page=mobile

Inventor is currently beta testing for iphone.

Looks v interesting as I need chrono but I don't have a smart phone yet:(

Note: its aimed at casual user and not designed to replace a real chrono.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes the rascal seems to be about but no pics :p

Has anyone tried the free chrono connect mobile app converts android phone to chronograph? accurate to within 5% of a real chrono when set up correctly.

vid

http://www.chronoconnect.com/?page=mobile

Inventor is currently beta testing for iphone.

Looks v interesting as I need chrono but I don't have a smart phone yet:(

Note: its aimed at casual user and not designed to replace a real chrono.

How can you not have a smart phone - both my parents (well over 60 years old) have smart phones - what's your excuse? :p

It seems like a decent concept. I've not tried it myself yet - I would have thought wind/background noise might be an issue?

I have an F1 chrony - if the weather is reasonable tomorrow I might be persuaded to try it and give some feedback here.

Back
Top Bottom