The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

Soldato
That tray definitely doesn't sound right, I'd sort that first and then reshoot. In the meantime you could manually load the pellets to avoid any head damage.

On your comment with the Defiants, personally I prefer a pellet that will survive the odd knock. If I'm out hunting, I'll be using magazines, etc, and as such I want pellets that don't need to be mollycoddled too much. At the other end of the spectrum you've got the FT guys who will tell you that magazines are evil, and all pellets should be individually weighed, sized and lubed...

Associate
As I know it happens, I am very careful when loading single shot. I did wonder if I'd got a .22 tray instead but I don't think so.

I don't want to have to be too careful with my pellets either so they may be out on that point alone.

Soldato
My MCT tray was a rock solid fit (and tight to get it fitted too) and didn't even need the inbuilt magnets to hold it in place so, as you know, a wobbly tray is a poop tray :D

Associate
Was down at Tayside HFT club yesterday for a competition, and was sure I knew of someone that shot there. Wasn't until I logged on here that I remembered that Jamief was a Tayside shooter.

Was the perfect day for shooting but unfortunately I was far from the perfect shot....... still brought home a silver tho.

wp000076ot.jpg

Associate
After the lovely weather yesterday I finally got annoyed enough with only being able to shoot on Sunday mornings to actually go and see one of the local farmers to ask if I could use a bit of his land to zero/plink on.

What do you know, he said yes!

So I'm getting my paperwork signed today then I should be able to shoot 7 days a week.

Really excited, didn't ask for hunting permission as he told me he has a couple of people who already do that, as well as him and his son, but I only really wanted a strip of land.

Soldato
After the lovely weather yesterday I finally got annoyed enough with only being able to shoot on Sunday mornings to actually go and see one of the local farmers to ask if I could use a bit of his land to zero/plink on.

What do you know, he said yes!

So I'm getting my paperwork signed today then I should be able to shoot 7 days a week.

Really excited, didn't ask for hunting permission as he told me he has a couple of people who already do that, as well as him and his son, but I only really wanted a strip of land.

Nice one!

When you were testing pellets, did you give the barrel several shots when you swapped pellets? It can take a few shot for the barrel to be conditioned to the new pellets :)

Associate
Testing was like this:

Clean barrel with pull through when I started. The plan was to do it between different pellets but it was too cold!

5 shots at anything, (from mag)
5 shots through chrono (from Mag)
5 shots at 35 yards (single shot)
2x 5 shots at 45 yards. (Single shot)

So basically 15 shots before trying at 45 yards.

I've got some full tins coming so I will clean the barrel then lead up with 30-40 shots then go for the groups.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom