The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

Permabanned
How is he still getting away with this crap? :confused:

Anyway, I'm in the market for a new pistol, if anyone knows of any decent sites let me know or if someone is getting rid of a decent powered co2 let me know :)

Soldato
How is he still getting away with this crap? :confused:

Anyway, I'm in the market for a new pistol, if anyone knows of any decent sites let me know or if someone is getting rid of a decent powered co2 let me know :)

I don't know, but it's getting really boring now. He doesn't even have any airguns and yet has almost made the most posts in this thread...

As for sites for used air pistols, Gunstar is quite good. I got my HW45 from there. I'd suggest meeting up to have a look rather than sending money as I don't think you'd have any protection like with ebay.

Also there are a few airgun forums with for sale sections. I have bought and sold a few things from the airgun bbs without any problems. But there has been scammers on all the forums in the past so i'd meet face to face again, unless you know the poster.

Associate
He's made it on to my ignore list so I don't care anymore!

"C02 pistol" and "decently powered" don't really go together. the multishot/realistic ones are generally low powered, The target orientated ones only go to around 3.5fpe.
There is the Crossmans Ratbuster and the like which are pretty high powered though.

gunstar, guntrader,
airgunforum, airgunbbs, (generally need to register and post a set amount of times)
Even places like preloved and gumtree might turn up stuff.

You don't have to do it face to face for secondhand guns but it's generally worth it if you can.

Associate
What are the chances of getting a Firearms licence thesedays?

I know its not meant to be easy but if I go to my local NRSA Gun Club for 6-12 months, get training, etc.. on the basis of applying for it for target shooting, how likely is it?

I know that semi auto rifles are banned, but rifles that have been built from the ground up for straight pull and are not modified semi auto rifles are legal.

tcr_ar15_rifle_02.jpg

I've got my heart set on one of these....

Last edited:
Associate
What are the chances of getting a Firearms licence thesedays?

I know its not meant to be easy but if I go to my local NRSA Gun Club for 6-12 months, get training, etc.. on the basis of applying for it for target shooting, how likely is it?

I've got my heart set on one of these....

Not sure if trolling?

In the UK I doubt you would get that under a target shooting licence.
I'll leave it to one of the FAC holders to let you know what you would need to get that through.

Associate
Not sure if trolling?

In the UK I doubt you would get that under a target shooting licence.
I'll leave it to one of the FAC holders to let you know what you would need to get that through.

I am serious, apparently you 'only' need a Section 1 Licence for straight pull rifles including that thing, I've been told you can get an S1 licence for target shooting, its no different than any of the sniper looking bolt pull .223 rifles.

Soldato
I am serious, apparently you 'only' need a Section 1 Licence for straight pull rifles including that thing, I've been told you can get an S1 licence for target shooting, its no different than any of the sniper looking bolt pull .223 rifles.

I imagine it depends more on where you live. Out in Yorkshire and the likes it's probably much easier to get a firearms cert.

You would however probably have a "good" chance of getting one after a years shooting in a club with some people to inform the local fuzz your not a mad man.

Associate
I am from Lancashire, I was looking at joining a gun club to use their rifles anyway with the idea of getting my own eventually. I realise this is an air rifle thread I was hoping someone might have a licence here that could let me know how feasible it would be to get one.

Last edited:
Associate

Yes, sorry, reaction to some of the other posts in this thread.

Starting by going to a club is the way to show you are responsible, and that you have somewhere to use the rifle. And I think the only way to get a target licence anyway.
I seem to have read something about weird rules saying if you have a rifle on licence for pest control, you can't shoot paper targets out on your permission unless you are zeroing.

Associate
I am from Lancashire, I was looking at joining a gun club to use their rifles anyway with the idea of getting my own eventually. I realise this is an air rifle thread I was hoping someone might have a licence here that could let me know how feasible it would be to get one.

You should probably set aside about a year if you're serious.

First thing is to join a home office approved club, where you'll need to serve a probationary period of I think 3 months, it's been a while, during that time you'll need to visit 15 times? (again it's been a while and club rules may differ, but it's around that).

One you're accepted as a full member, you can apply for an FAC, but you will need a reference from the club captain/secretary, and that will take a little longer, as they will actually want to know you.

For a straight pull .223 you are looking at shooting somewhere like Bisley, so you'll need to join a club with that sort of range or range access, you might find it easier to start off with gallery rifle, those can be shot on old pistol ranges, so 25m or so, and you'll be looking at lever action pistol calibre rifles, .22 semi automatics or long barrelled pistols, usually shooting the old practical pistol disciplines.

This is of course related to target shooting, hunting/private land use probably has slightly different rules.

It's a fun if expensive hobby, and even in the UK, you can get one of these.....

qdf5pcV.jpg.png

But think you need to hold an FAC for a little while, and even then the firearms licensing officer will do his best to put you off.

Whats the point of those straight pull ar15s? Why not just buy a bolt action rifle.

Sadly the point is, they are all we're allowed to have, only semi-auto rifles of .22 and below are allowed.

Associate

Starting by going to a club is the way to show you are responsible, and that you have somewhere to use the rifle. And I think the only way to get a target licence anyway.
I seem to have read something about weird rules saying if you have a rifle on licence for pest control, you can't shoot paper targets out on your permission unless you are zeroing.

You should probably set aside about a year if you're serious.

First thing is to join a home office approved club, where you'll need to serve a probationary period of I think 3 months, it's been a while, during that time you'll need to visit 15 times? (again it's been a while and club rules may differ, but it's around that).

One you're accepted as a full member, you can apply for an FAC, but you will need a reference from the club captain/secretary, and that will take a little longer, as they will actually want to know you.

For a straight pull .223 you are looking at shooting somewhere like Bisley, so you'll need to join a club with that sort of range or range access, you might find it easier to start off with gallery rifle, those can be shot on old pistol ranges, so 25m or so, and you'll be looking at lever action pistol calibre rifles, .22 semi automatics or long barrelled pistols, usually shooting the old practical pistol disciplines.

This is of course related to target shooting, hunting/private land use probably has slightly different rules.
Excellent thank you, I don't mind setting aside a year, it's not something I want to rush into. I don't have a criminal record and I've never been in trouble with the police, assuming I have somewhere suitable to put a gun safe and spend time at the gun club there should be a reasonable chance of getting a licence?

Last edited:
Soldato
I imagine it depends more on where you live. Out in Yorkshire and the likes it's probably much easier to get a firearms cert.

You would however probably have a "good" chance of getting one after a years shooting in a club with some people to inform the local fuzz your not a mad man.

Not so, it's just a question as to whether you either have access to suitable land that you have permission on, or are a regular target shooter and want to have your own weapons.

I want an AR15, its the closest thing I can own to one in the UK.

FLO's will run a mile from you with a sentiment like that, and rightly so. Weapons are for a purpose, not because "you fancy one".

First I've heard of this, but then again, if you're not shooting pests, you should be shooting targets (otherwise you're just being irresponsible with a firearm), so it's a bit of a moot point!

Associate
FLO's will run a mile from you with a sentiment like that, and rightly so. Weapons are for a purpose, not because "you fancy one".
Yeah it was a silly way to phrase it, it was just a retort to "what's the point". I understand the responsibility with regards to weapons and I don't take it lightly.

I've had air rifles in the past and have been target shooting numerous times with the Scouts when I were a little nipper.

I don't want one "just because", I would like to take it a step further than pellet shooting, I prefer customisation ability of the AR15 weapons, adjustable stocks, grips and the like to tailor the weapon for me personally rather than bolt action rifles.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you want something like that, then look at Ruger 10/22. It's a cheap, basic semi auto action, with a mammoth customisation base (look at NW Customs and RimfireMagic). Out of the box it shoots ok, but nothing special. The tinkering you can do is almost endless, both cosmetic and performance-wise.

Soldato
In a nutshell:

Air pistol under 6ftlb, legal, no license.
Air pistol over 6ftlb - illegal.

Air rifle under 12ftlb, legal, no license
Air rifle over 12ftlb, legal, license required (Section 1 firearm)

Black Powder - legal, license required

Shotgun (semi auto, 3 shots max) - legal, Shotgun License required
Shotgun (semi auto, over 3 shots) - legal, Section 1 firearm

Rifle, either bolt or semi-auto - legal, Section 1 firearm
Rifle, automatic - illegal

That's a top level summary for you. There's a few more nuances, but broadly that's it.

Back
Top Bottom