The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

Wise Guy
Soldato
i have a 22 Sig it's pretty solid.

54560536.jpg

Associate
If you want something like that, then look at Ruger 10/22. It's a cheap, basic semi auto action, with a mammoth customisation base (look at NW Customs and RimfireMagic). Out of the box it shoots ok, but nothing special. The tinkering you can do is almost endless, both cosmetic and performance-wise.

I'd second that, I have 10/22 and it's a nice accurate little rifle, easy to maintain and the ammunition is also cheap.

Soldato
Soldato
Super domes are best domes.

RWS make some good pellets has does H&N, but you also want to try some Bisley Superfield, I use them in my HW80's which are .25 & .20, have also use the .22 ones in the past.

Mark A:
Use to have a pair of HW45's one .20 & other .25, brilliant pistols, would get HW45 a again, but it's hard finding them in the odd calibres now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Here's the hpa'd ratty. It now has an HW moderator with a JSRamsbottom adaptor. Blimey it's quiet!!

There is a co2 eliminator, black 'hollow probe' steel breech, re-seal kit and 90 degree 1/8 NPT elbow from GMAC/EuroCustomParts http://www.eurocustomparts.com/epages/BT4370.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT4370/Categories
A 1/8 to 1/8 NPT hose and bottle mount and an in-line shut-off valve from RAP4 http://www.rap4uk.com
And some NPT/BSP/Quick fill bits from BestFittings http://www.bestfittings.co.uk/
The bottle and reg I bought second hand - I fill it to 3000 lbs/psi / 200 bar

The bottle mount is bolted to the underside of the hand grip. I had to drill a largish hole on the grip where base of your thumb goes to get a screwdriver in. This has been filled with a rubber bung. The bottle mount has a spacer which was made from a wooden door stop cut down and sprayed matt black.

The air bottle screws into the shut off valve which screws into the bottle mount. There is a male 1/8 NPT to male 1/8 BSP adaptor screwed into the end of the bottle mount - then there is a bonded washer and a 1/8 BSP quick fill nipple.

At the other end the CO2 eliminator screws into the CO2 tube and a 1/8 NPT 90 degree elbow screws into that. The 1/8 NPT to 1/8 NPT hose screws into the elbow and terminates in a 1/8 NPT barrel nut into which is screwed a 1/8 BSP quick fill coupler.

The quick coupler and in line shutoff valve allow the rifle to be quickly and easily 'taken down'. After you've fired your last shut, shut off the valve - dry fire a few times to remove the air from the tubing and then unscrew the bottle and unclip the quick coupler and the stock can be removed from the action.

I'm really pleased at how it's all gone together. The point of balance is bob on - right on the pistol grip. I really like how it all packs away in a small, discrete case (see bottom pic). The gun is just as point-able as before. I've kept the 14" barrel. The bottle mount has a slight twist so the bottle is under my arm instead of digging into my side.

There is a *very* small leak somewhere - I need to undo all the fittings and reapply the PTFE tape (I may try PTFE spray), but it takes many hours to lose air.

The weight of the gun 'ready to fire' (scope on, moderator etc) is 2.970 kg 6.5 lbs so pretty lightweight. It's now spitting out Bisley Magnums at just under 12 ft lbs. (SimonCHere - thanks! With the earlier setting it was pushing BisMags out at nearly 13 ftlbs!!) I haven't got a full shot count yet, but I'm guessing 60 or so from the early chrono testing (fully regulated don't forget :))

I find the trigger fine - I might fettle it a bit. The eagle eyed among you may notice I haven't replaced the barrel band - I will do once I've stripped it to cure the leak.

a few more pictures:

Undo case and:

DSC01813_zps222d7439.jpg

Remove those bits and foam to reveal:

DSC01814_zps2d8d82b8.jpg

DSC01817_zpsf889c83c.jpg

DSC01816_zpsf00626d7.jpg

Any questions, please ask :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Here's my latest acquisition!

DSC01809_zpsb28d6c34.jpg

DSC01812_zps429d55e2.jpg

6mm BB - what a great gun - accurate out to 30 yards (football sized target) with a great blowback operation. Field strips just like the real steel version - this has a metal slide and barrel and a plastic frame, but is quite weighty with the magazine in :)

Soldato
I'd like to do something similar to that co2 conversion to my old .20 Sheridan C9 Pump as my hands are a bit shot now with Dupuytren's Contracture which means I just can't grip the gun and the foregrip comfortably enough to get the pressure in the last few pumps :S

Back
Top Bottom