The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

Permabanned
I am aware that the following question is probably answered somewhere in this thread but I'm on my mobile so browsing isn't the easiest thing to do...

I need to get rid of some airborne vermin, they sit on the telegraph pole outside my house and crap all over my van and my mum's car (starting to damage the paintwork) and there's no where else to park my van.

Can I legally pop them? Been lucking at getting an air rifle for a while now and figured this gives me a good enough reason.

Also, any recommendations around the £100 - £200 would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure about the legality of shooting em but as for a rifle to do the job you could do worse than a Stoeger x20
http://www.solware.co.uk/air-pistol-air-rifle/stoeger-x20-sythetic-stock.shtml

Or a SMK XS19

http://www.solware.co.uk/air-pistol-air-rifle/xs19-177-air-rifle-pellet-gun.shtml

Stick this scope on

http://www.solware.co.uk/air-pistol-air-rifle/nikkostirling-4-12x50-ir-mil-dot-ao-mountmaster.shtml

Both are full power springers.

Sorry couldn't advise on killing birds or owt but suspect not, i'm a paper target and tin can shooter only.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am aware that the following question is probably answered somewhere in this thread but I'm on my mobile so browsing isn't the easiest thing to do...

I need to get rid of some airborne vermin, they sit on the telegraph pole outside my house and crap all over my van and my mum's car (starting to damage the paintwork) and there's no where else to park my van.

Can I legally pop them? Been lucking at getting an air rifle for a while now and figured this gives me a good enough reason.

Also, any recommendations around the £100 - £200 would be greatly appreciated.

No you cant .. It would be "discharging a firearm in a public place so unless you like a visit from yer local arv i suggest you dont do this

Permabanned
Had a feeling I wouldn't be able to shoot them, never mind.

Also, I am aware that I wouldn't just be able to pick a rifle up out of the box and knock them off.

Yeah, if I remember right, your projectile (pellet) must not go outside your property or permission, that would be illegal but I would still recommend you get one anyway for legal shooting, great fun old chap. All the best and have fun.:)

Associate
Had a lovely hour or so on the farm I can shoot at:
2irmg4sg

Just target shooting, but the sun was out and there was no wind.
The small white square in the middle is a A4 target out at 45 yards.
The first telegraph pole is 90 yards away. :eek:

Soldato
Hi, first post in here so be gentle :)

I understand that I don't need a license for anything below 12 ft/lb.. So does that mean I could use a .177 or a .22 as long as it's below 12 ft/lb? Which is the recommended calibre out of the two?

Budget is around sub £300, so what would be an ideal starter?
Would I need a gun cabinet for a rifle below 12ft/lb?
Which is better; CO2 or break barrel?

Soldato
Yeah, if I remember right, your projectile (pellet) must not go outside your property or permission, that would be illegal but I would still recommend you get one anyway for legal shooting, great fun old chap. All the best and have fun.:)

Further to this you are not allowed to discharge an air weapon within 50ft of any highway, road, footpath etc, regardless of direction of aim. So be careful in your gardens/permission!

Soldato
Further to this you are not allowed to discharge an air weapon within 50ft of any highway, road, footpath etc, regardless of direction of aim. So be careful in your gardens/permission!
If doing so causes alarm to others - it's fine to shoot within 50 ft of a highway as long as you don't alarm or distress any one :)

Hi, first post in here so be gentle :)

I understand that I don't need a license for anything below 12 ft/lb.. So does that mean I could use a .177 or a .22 as long as it's below 12 ft/lb? Which is the recommended calibre out of the two?

Budget is around sub £300, so what would be an ideal starter?
Would I need a gun cabinet for a rifle below 12ft/lb?
Which is better; CO2 or break barrel?

Correct - any cal (even .20 or .25 if you're feeling adventurous!) as long as it remains under 12 ftlbs.
.177 is fine for both target and hunting and has a flatter trajectory than .22. What do you want to use the gun for? Plinking, HFT, hunting?

You don't need a cabinet, but the law says the gun must not be accessible by anyone under 18 years of age.

I've used co2 guns but have never been fully happy with them due to higher running costs and a less usable shot count as they lose power as the gas goes down. The 2 co2 guns (rifles) I still own have both been converted to air ;) Break barrel/under levers are, imvho, better.

With your budget I would look at a decent second hand under lever such as an AirArms TX200HC - you should get a decent gun and scope with your budget. With regards to storage, you can get storage lockers from ebay for under a tenner - that would certainly be safe enough to start with - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SINGLE-DO...ce_Supplies_Stationery_ET&hash=item27d28763e5

edit - there's a TX200HC over on AirGunBBS £270 inc scope and bag - it's .22 but you get the idea. You need to be registered and post up four times before you can access the sales section on there, but here's the link anyway
http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php?659322-Air-Arms-TX200-HC-.22

Last edited:
Associate
Krikey that TX is cheap. I wonder if I can convince the wife I need a springer in my life? I could even get my dad to pick it up for me!

I've been looking for a cheap cabinet for mine, can't yet justify the cost of a brattonsound rl5+ that I really want. That storage locker looks ideal, just a bit too far away. I wonder how much a courier would be?

Soldato
Guys i need a new barrel.

It is only Cometa-100 Air Rifle that i have had about 15 years. I bent the barrel about 10 years ago and never used it since.

Any of you guys know where i could get a new barrel for it?

Thanks

Soldato
Nice one, thanks for the info Ouink.

At the moment probably just plinking and HFT, but would definitely like to keep hunting as a possibility as I used to go a few times back in the countryside, with a shotgun & rifle. Although that was mostly pigeons and other general farm pests.

Will sign up to those forums and take a look at the TX200 HC.

If it's not available by the time I get round to buying, what else would you recommend new/used for around the £250 mark?

Associate
Also think about the cost to get it fitted, unless it's the barrel and breach?

There was a whole second hand gun on gunstar recently for £90 and as you say the are only £110 new.

You might be able to get a gunsmith the straighten it for you.

Last edited:
Soldato
The gun is easy to take apart and put back together. Had it in parts last night to clean the rust off and grease up the spring along with a cheeky bit of WD40 as the safety and trigger had seized up a bit.

All in good working order now. Still has a barrel on it, but it has been cut down by half which just doesn't suit it.

Even though i will never use it, i am considering buying a new barrel for it and getting it back to its original condition.

Think it cost £340 for the gun, scope and carrier when i had it bought me for the range. Guess that was at least 14 years ago though.

Soldato
The gun is easy to take apart and put back together. Had it in parts last night to clean the rust off and grease up the spring along with a cheeky bit of WD40 as the safety and trigger had seized up a bit.

All in good working order now. Still has a barrel on it, but it has been cut down by half which just doesn't suit it.

Even though i will never use it, i am considering buying a new barrel for it and getting it back to its original condition.

Think it cost £340 for the gun, scope and carrier when i had it bought me for the range. Guess that was at least 14 years ago though.

It's worth getting it in working condition. They are great guns and a lot of fun for plinking with. The Cometa 300 was the first airgun I ever owned and I still have it now. Need to get a new piston seal for it as this one has gone a bit hard and brittle after 12 or so years.

Back
Top Bottom