The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

Associate
Ah but do you want her to get into it? :) if you go too cheap then she will not have a good experience with shooting and not want to continue.

There is a xs19 and a bsa supersport on one of the forums for less than £100 each. Either would be a good start.

Last edited:
Soldato
Supersport would be an ok starter rifle. Or a Cometa 300 if you can find one. The two rifles I started out with and they didnt put me off shooting as you can actually hit the target with the right pellets and handling.

Just dont go for something super cheap like a Chinese B2 etc as they are crap.

It was sent via Parcel Force as I believe they now accept air rifles, but on the Parcel Force 48 service only. There's only the standard £100 compensation with no option of enhanced compensation.

Your other option is RMSD, but you'll have to split the action to get it down to a small enough size.

Thanks, I didnt realise they accepted rifles now. It's the low insurance which put the guy off who was going to send the rifle to me. I guess if I find one I could say that if it does get lost in the post I'll pay the remaining ammount after the £100.

Soldato
Chambers just let me know that they have the barrel in for me to order.

Barrel was £35 and came with breach seal, barrel catch and foresight. Bought a few other little things too (screws and barrel shims).

Total : £49.95

Not bad I suppose. Some would probably say I may as well of bought a new rifle :p

Will get pics up when all is sorted.

Soldato
Well - I need a scope for my TX200HC - the old scope I've slung on isn't doing her justice - any recommendations for £150 or so? I don't mind second hand. 5.5mm and mostly hunting. Ta.

Arek - what would you recommend? [hidden text] lol lol lol [/hidden text]

Last edited:
Associate
Something like the Hawke Panorama?
It's always better to hit a gun shop though and have a look through the actual one you are going to buy. There is a lot of variation in the quality of the optics at this end of the market, even between two scopes of the same model.

I bought a hawke sidewinder tac 30 after I was going out to buy a MTC Taipan. It just looked better to my eyes.

Once you decide, there are many great deals on the various forums for second hand ones.

Associate
Well - I need a scope for my TX200HC - the old scope I've slung on isn't doing her justice - any recommendations for £150 or so? I don't mind second hand. 5.5mm and mostly hunting. Ta.

AM simply enjoying hot girls assisting me when am shooting my loads...

2eaoynb.jpg

Associate

At that price range the MTC Mamba has to be considered the 3-12x44 is a cracking scope.

Soldato
Buggered barrel (don't ask what i was thinking when i was younger lol)

IMG_2280_zps1a7fd251.jpg

Was quite rusted, so a lot of elbow grease and some Krust:

IMG_2278_zpsf037e5bf.jpg

New barrel and Some other little niggles:

bae0a6ef-5cc6-4954-9a6e-0e1f40d6da59_zps73afbb74.jpg

Built back up, looking a bit worn but a lot better than it did a week ago (sight is buggered, just looks cooler on :p):

IMG_2317_zps4734d2da.jpg

Few test shots from 20m:

IMG_2312_zps4602b3c4.jpg

IMG_2313_zps435459a8.jpg

My lad didn't believe me that i would be able to hit a 2p from 20m. 1st shot did it... I didn't get a "well done" from him though, i got a "bet you can't do it with a 5p".

IMG_2316_zps430058f2.jpg

Really happy with the new replacement barrel. I sent off the old barrel on the Tuesday and received the new barrel on Friday.

The gun manages to shoot through 2 Carling tins and a LYNX spray and then into a pack of compost (make sure i don't put any holes in the fence). So the old girl still has plenty of life in her. Very impressed to say the gun hasn't been used for 10 years.

The scope is broke though unfortunately. must have been a bit heavy handed with it in my younger days when trying to set it up. The up and down notch thing is broke and stops working after a certain point, which leaves me 2cm off target. Opened it up and seen that i must have tightened the notch up that much that the screw under the notch dug into the metal inside the scope.

What kind of paint would be recommended to do the cylinder and barrel?

Last edited:
Soldato
You could chemical blue it to give the metal some protection. Won't be nearly as good a finish as a hot process, but it's something you can do at home and will at least protect the piston housing from corroding again :).

Soldato
Haha @ that old barrel :D. I did something similar with a mates B2, but not quite as short as that. You should see a big boost in power going from the short barrel to the longer one.

I wouldn't recommend using paint on the cylinder as it'll chip off on the scope rails when you mount the scope again.

I have never tried the cold blue kits, but have heard they do a pretty decent job. Might be worth a try.

Soldato
Hello guys,

Managed to sort the scope out and now it is spot on. Even the Mrs has had a go at shooting and enjoyed it.

What are the laws of taking it out? I have loads of massive woods around me which are open to the public... Would I be able to take the rifle and some targets down to any of these woods?

Associate
Hello guys,

Managed to sort the scope out and now it is spot on. Even the Mrs has had a go at shooting and enjoyed it.

What are the laws of taking it out? I have loads of massive woods around me which are open to the public... Would I be able to take the rifle and some targets down to any of these woods?

No, no, no. Really no.
possibility of people with real guns pointing them at you and 5 years in prison.

Find a local club or stick to your garden. Only shoot where you have explicit permission from the land owner.

Glad you and the wife have had a good time. Stay safe.

Back
Top Bottom