The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

Soldato
C'mon Arek - post some pics.

At the moment you have less credibility than me, and I'm an alcoholic :o With many, many guns :eek::o

If you wish to participate any more on this thread, please post a picture of either your TX200 or your HW45.

Then we can move on and fully apologise to you, or you can just GTFO.

FAO the mods - that means Get The Flip Out fyi. I want no more suspensions because of that clown please :)

Edit - I thought spammers/trolls were banned? :)

Last edited:
Associate
Chance is big Ed, as i not only let those hot honeys take pics of my weapons but play wtih em.

2u44y7r.jpg

Associate
Anyway....

I took my brand new gun out for the first time ever today.

Scorpion SE - asked about it a few pages back - chuffed to bits with it.

Has a Mamba 3x12 scope and a Deben tilt bipod.

I went shooting at Atherton Indoor range if anyone is interested, I would highly recommend it. £5 all day, 50p air refills and targets out to 50m. Super friendly atmosphere and the guy in charge Ben is keen to help :D

Associate
Lovely bit of kit there, glad you're enjoying it. Which pump did you go for? or did you get a bottle?
Atherton range sounds ace, good weather for it today as well.

I've just got a harris bipod for mine. Bit nerve wracking drilling my stock myself as I didn't have qr studs installed. :eek:

airwolfbipod.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Oh I went for the cheaper FX 3 stage, not used it yet though because of the air cylinder being available at the range.

The actual range is indoors in a really roomy old mill so the weather had no effect, but yeah it would have been equally nice outside on a day like today :)

Damn that is a nice gun - out of my league though!! Would not have drill my own swivel studs on that - think I would have a panic attack/nervous breakdown!!!

I had a good look at the harris vs deben bipod thing, decided to go for the deben because it was a bit cheaper and the feet spring "out" - I believe the feet spring "in" on the harris - is that right?

Associate
I'd be interested in how you find it, I recently swapped my old 3ltr 232 for a hills pump. Fills my Falcon to 180 pretty easily, although the last few pumps take some doing.

I'd love a 50m indoor range near here, sounds like a great place. Still I'm off shooting at the club tomorrow morning so will have fun anyway.

I was really worried drilling the stock, but I wasn't going to pay a gunsmith £50 to do what I could so crossed everything I could, measured and re measured and went for it. The wood's really thin at the front end so you can't put it too far forward, I got the distance off someone else I know with an air ranger who had factory fitted studs.

The harris does spring out when it's closed. Mine's the notched leg version so I don't know if the other models do other things. I got it second hand as it's far too expensive new.

Last edited:
Soldato
Know nothing about air rifles..havent touched one since i was like 12 when i would play around with an old level air rifle.

Can anyone gimme some recommendations for a decent air rifle? Something solid and reliable. No clue about makes etc. Or even which actions are the best.

Cheers chaps

Associate
THIS range looks awesome Atherton Indoor range . where is it?

From their Facebook page-

"AIR (Atherton Indoor Range)

1nd Floor,
Victoria Mill,
Bolton Old Road,
Atherton,
M46 9JQ

Opening Times:-
Closed Monday
Closed Tuesday
14:00 - 21:00 Wednesday
14:00 - 21:00 Thursday
Bolton Gun Club Friday
10:30 - 18:00 Saturday
10:30 - 18:00 Sunday

NO MEMBERSHIP!!
Admission is just £5.00 that's for a whole day if you have the stamina.
and if you don't have a rifle, don't worry! You can always hire one from us, we have all sorts of Springers to PCPs please call in advance to reserve and prices.
as for fill ups we ask just for just 50p and we have almost all adapters.
As for coffees and teas we have a full kitchen facilities we have recommended donations of 50p.

AIR is located on the 1st floor in Victoria Mill a up and coming activities center hosting paint balling(2nd floor), Ju Jit Su(1st floor) and coming soon a Pool Hall(Ground Floor)

The Range is located on the 1st floor but has plans of possible expansion, we have 1 x 10m pistol type ranges perfect for Zeroing and 1 x huge rifle range with zeroing cards, moving targets, pingers, spinners and knock downs up to 42 yards, available for you standing, seating and bench rest or if you want to lying down.

We are ever expanding and looking to improve all the time. There is a part made 50+yard range for regulars that want to go up to the 3rd floor

This place is described as lots of Fun, nice sociable place, loads of target options for shooting pistols or rifles and more importantly not the usual boringly serious club atmosphere.

The website is still under construction but we will have all updates on there as well http://athertonindoorrange.co.uk/

For any further questions just
Tel 07907689852 ask for Ben"

Associate
Know nothing about air rifles..havent touched one since i was like 12 when i would play around with an old level air rifle.

Can anyone gimme some recommendations for a decent air rifle? Something solid and reliable. No clue about makes etc. Or even which actions are the best.

Cheers chaps

Air Arms - Are decent and moderately priced made in England or possibly Turkey now (double check that fact).
BSA - Ditto Air Arms - made in Birmingham.
Weihrauch - Ditto Air Arms - made in Germany.
Daystate - Top end - made in Staffordshire.
Steyr - Top end - made in Austria I think.
Any rifle with Ripley or Hogun in the name are very sought after.

Basic rifle is a springer with a break barrel.
Next rung would be a springer with an under lever and fixed barrel.
Next rung is a gas ram.
Next rung is a single shot PCP.
Next rung is a multishot PCP.
Top rung is a multishot PCP with digital power management like the Daystates.

Cost generally go up as you go down that list.

Lots of people prefer PCPs as they have a smooth action and little recoil. A minority prefer springers because they enjoy the old ways.

What are you after?

Last edited:
Soldato
Air Arms - Are decent and moderately priced made in England or possibly Turkey now (double check that fact).
BSA - Ditto Air Arms - made in Birmingham.
Weihrauch - Ditto Air Arms - made in Germany.
Daystate - Top end - made in Staffordshire.
Steyr - Top end - made in Austria I think.
Any rifle with Ripley or Hogun in the name are very sought after.

Basic rifle is a springer with a break barrel.
Next rung would be a springer with an under lever and fixed barrel.
Next rung is a gas ram.
Next rung is a single shot PCP.
Next rung is a multishot PCP.
Top rung is a multishot PCP with digital power management like the Daystates.

Cost generally go up as you go down that list.

Lots of people prefer PCPs as they have a smooth action and little recoil. A minority prefer springers because they enjoy the old ways.

What are you after?

Great info, thanks. Lots to be reading about.

I think id be looking at a multishot pcp. do you have to recharge it between each shot or does it lose power gradually?

Associate
Tat springers like the SMK B2 should be avoided.
Cheaper springers like the SMK xs19 seem to be pretty good starter rifles.
High end springers such as the HW95 (break barrel) and HW97 / TX200 (underlever) are of course excellent and will last you a life time.

PCP do have some with negatives such as you need to have some way to charge them up again, pump or bottle. Not generally user servable if something goes wrong.

You charge a bottle on the gun (you can see it on mine and the cylinder under Mbennets rifle) and then you get a number of shots.
More expensive guns that are 'regulated' give shots that are the same power all the way form the first shot until the pressure in the cylinder is to low to work properly.
Cheaper guns don't have a regulator so you get a power curve as the air in the cylinder is used.
the standard answer for mid range multishot pcp is airarms s410. Slightly more expensive is the HW100 or the BSA r10. For cheap end, the Umarex 850 airmagnum gets good reviews, it's powered by co2 capsules so no pump or bottle needed.

Last edited:
Associate
As Simon says the Air Arms s410 is a good entry but I prefer my BSA Scorpion SE. Both guns are in the £500-600 price range, I have heard the BSA multishot Ultra is a fine gun too although I was not a fan of the cocking mechanism.

Both the S410 and Scorpion hold enough air for about 90 shots but the last 10 visibly have less power. They are not regulated as standard but that can be done later for about £150 if it bothers you. The scorpion has a relatively flat power curve without one though so it would be a waste - no idea about the S410. More expensive rifles like Simons have a big buddy bottles in the front that can be replaced in the field if needs be, these larger tanks can hold in excess of 300 shots!

To refill the cylinders or buddy bottles will require a pump or divers tank full of air - these will cost about £150. If you have a club it is likely they can refill it for you, but if you are shooting in your own field then you will need to get your own.

Associate
As Simon says the Air Arms s410 is a good entry but I prefer my BSA Scorpion SE. Both guns are in the £500-600 price range, I have heard the BSA multishot Ultra is a fine gun too although I was not a fan of the cocking mechanism.

Both the S410 and Scorpion hold enough air for about 90 shots but the last 10 visibly have less power. They are not regulated as standard but that can be done later for about £150 if it bothers you. The scorpion has a relatively flat power curve without one though so it would be a waste - no idea about the S410. More expensive rifles like Simons have a big buddy bottles in the front that can be replaced in the field if needs be, these larger tanks can hold in excess of 300 shots!

To refill the cylinders or buddy bottles will require a pump or divers tank full of air - these will cost about £150. If you have a club it is likely they can refill it for you, but if you are shooting in your own field then you will need to get your own.

Ah yes, sorry, the Scorpion is an excellent choice as well! :)
The S410 isn't regulated either.

You can't replace the bottle on mine in the field, not that you would want to, The Theoben rapids allow you to. Recently I was trying to see how many shots I could get out out a single 200 bar air charge. From 200 bar -> 100 bar I had taken 354 shots. I carried on down to 86 bar for an additional 24 shots before I gave up and stopped shooting!

Simon

Soldato
How do you refill the tanks? I dont have a club or anything so cant use their equipment.

Having done some reading, im starting to lean more toward a high end underlever rifle. Simply for ease of maintenance and being able to keep shooting without worrying about pressure etc.

Back
Top Bottom