The Air Rifles & Pistols thread

Associate
By tanks I take it you mean a divers bottle that will then be used to store pressurized air until you need it? Anywhere that has a compressor, such as diving centers, fire stations, gun shops etc. The standard charge is about £3 and a divers tank will fill the air rifles cylinder lots of times!

If you do not want to buy a diving tank then the hand pump is the option - something like this:

http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/678/104200/fx-three-stage-hand-pump-fx9000/

I know it adds cost but the action on the bolt driven multishot pcp rifles will put a smile on your face!

Associate
Apart from one, maybe two places online who actually deliver directly to you, you can only buy face to face now.

it's better anyway as you really need to try or at least shoulder the rifles you are deciding between. What is good for one person may completely not fit someone else.

Associate
wind :(

Returned to my new shooting grounds today for plinking session now that the weather has improved since last week however...

Had my first real encounter with cross wind and was suprised to see the effect wind has on an air rifle pellet at a modest 25 yards range.

Only a 10-12 mph 90degree gentle breeze was knocking my .22 accupell pellet out 2 inches from my previous zero. This is with my 11ft/lbs crosman rabbitstopper.

This calculator subsequently confirmed the effect of cross winds

http://www.airguns.net/trajectory.php

Was also reading about other adverse effects wind has depending on the direction of spin on the pellet from the barrell (bernoulli effect)

So I now have another enemy to add to my list

• CO2 temperature performance :(
  • .22 trajectory and hold over :(
  • Wind :)

Associate
Returned to my new shooting grounds today for plinking session now that the weather has improved since last week however...

Had my first real encounter with cross wind and was suprised to see the effect wind has on an air rifle pellet at a modest 25 yards range.

Only a 10-12 mph 90degree gentle breeze was knocking my .22 accupell pellet out 2 inches from my previous zero. This is with my 11ft/lbs crosman rabbitstopper.

Was also reading about other adverse effects wind has depending on the direction of spin on the pellet from the barrell (bernoulli effect)

Best add angle to horizontal to your list, you'll no doubt come across it at some point ;)

Associate
Cheers for the advice guys..Is it best to buy online? Or go to a local gunshop?

I would recommend reading up on forums about which gun you fancy then go and have a feel. There are 2 gunshops I know of in Sheffield that let you have a go at shooting them on their ranges before you buy, hopefully there will be some shops like that near yourself?

Soldato
I would recommend reading up on forums about which gun you fancy then go and have a feel. There are 2 gunshops I know of in Sheffield that let you have a go at shooting them on their ranges before you buy, hopefully there will be some shops like that near yourself?

Im really liking the air arms s410...theres a few shops near me, no idea if they have ranges tho.

Soldato

Yeah - wind can be a swine, especially with such light projectiles like pellets. The temperature variation is one of the reasons I hpa'd my Ratty.

There's no problem with .22 holdover - learn your holdovers and either get a range-finder or spend years using the mk1 eyeball to learn to judge distances properly :)

Associate
Had a bit of fun with shooting off the bipod.
I needed to check my aim points for HFT this weekend so all targets were shot at 10x mag, 27 yard px, 35 yard zero aimed at the centre of each target. for some reason I missed 40 yards but never mind. I'm blaming dodgy head positions for the vertical movement on the first 45 yard one. The second 45 yard one was me messing about dialing in the range on the turret hence a bit high.

The circled green ones were my attempt at 90 yards, 20x mag. I had to raise the zero point to 60 yards and still use 3 mildots holdover to get those 3 hits at the bottom of the target. I was aiming at the top one!

targetswolfbipod.jpg

JSB exact, 4.52, 8.4gr.

Last edited:
Associate
I still have my Relum Tornado a solid barrell underlever that i bought in 1974. I know it needs a new piston but does anybody know if parts would still be around for it...

Associate
Had a bit of fun with shooting off the bipod.
I needed to check my aim points for HFT this weekend so all targets were shot at 10x mag, 27 yard px, 35 yard zero aimed at the centre of each target. for some reason I missed 40 yards but never mind. I'm blaming dodgy head positions for the vertical movement on the first 45 yard one. The second 45 yard one was me messing about dialing in the range on the turret hence a bit high.

The circled green ones were my attempt at 90 yards, 20x mag. I had to raise the zero point to 60 yards and still use 3 mildots holdover to get those 3 hits at the bottom of the target. I was aiming at the top one!

targetswolfbipod.jpg

JSB exact, 4.52, 8.4gr.

How did the HFT go?

Associate
Terrible.
Plated most of the first half of the course and was giving up/getting frustrated.
Then I noticed I hadn't reset my turret from the 60 yard zero setting. :mad:

So all my aim points were off. After recalculating aim points using chairgun on my phone and aiming off for everything I finally managed 43/60.

Well roll on the next one and perhaps I will remember to reset my turrets next time!

Still had a great time though. There was a gamble shoot running as well which is where you choose what position to shoot from and get points only if you knock the target down. So 3 points for standing, 2 for kneeling and 1 for prone.
then had a go on the pistol HFT range they had set up with one of the guys crossman 2240 possibly? blinged up with new grips, new breech, changed trigger and red dot sight.

Last edited:
Associate
Does anyone know if Quantock Airgun club is still going? I last shot there around 10 years ago but can't seem to find a website.

I went over to Mendip Shooting Ground yesterday and used their indoor range but its a bit of a trek away from me.

Soldato
Yes, spending time and money doing other things. Sold the Viper this morning along with a load of .22 pellets.

Plus i do like the look of the new FX rifles, so maybe one of them in a year or so. Be sad to see the Airwolf go, been my most cherished rifle, had it since they first came out and its never missed a beat. Its got the most gorgeous stock as well.

Dec31_003.jpg

LOL, an infraction for selling, wasn't even selling I didn't see any prices, are the mods just bored!
Also if you could direct me to the section in the MM for Rifles, for future reference, wonder if they come under Audio/Visual. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
To be fair you did ask if anyone was interested but that aside it is a fantastic looking gun and I can see why you would be gutted to part with it.

I was torn between upgrading my PC and getting a S410 but the lack of easily accessible clubs or ranges pretty much put paid to that idea for now.

My daughter did some shooting at her school camp a few weeks ago and loved it, even though it was a small springer and the range was prone only, which causes her a few problems at the mo. If I could find a legal place to shoot in reasonable distance I would consider a decent 2nd hand break-barrel springer and take her target shooting.

Back
Top Bottom