Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Few can even do that many mate so dont be disheartened. I wouldn't do a different exercise hoping these will improve with it, keep on doing pullups, even not WG ones. Just use them as a finisher before you hit the showers? Only way to progress with regards to pullups IMO

Thanks for the advice Shicky, I'll do that, sounds like a good idea.

Would you guys say that the wide grip pullup is a really good compound then?

@DJ-Jestar I know what you mean, always feels like I've had a planked rammed up my bum, because my back doesn't have a lot of flexibility for the next few days, feels good though.:D

Really loving the big exercises, not really fond of leg exercises though, I don't know why I just find them unpleasant, not painful/uncomfortable or anything I just don't like doing them. I still do though obviously. Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger :)

Wow - I feel better now after hearing some of you struggle too :)

Guess it doesn't help that my housemate can do 10 pretty easily and the fact I weigh 92kg either I guess.

Well then 1 at that weight is probably about what I could do, I'm 74kg at the moment. Which is why I'm so proud that my dead lifts and Bench press especially are coming along so well, I can lift more than my weight now which I feel is a bench mark, and also my bench press 1 rep max is 70 odd kg too :)

At the end of the day, you shouldn't worry about where you are compared to others, but where you are compared to when you started. That's the real gauge of how well your doing.

Would you guys say that the wide grip pullup is a really good compound then?

The WG pullup really messes with a shoulder injury of mine for whatever reason, I do a few the odd time if I feel like it but I generally avoid it. Sticking with other pullup variations has done me no harm, perhaps just go with pullups with a slightly shorter width? Should allow a few more reps to begin with so you're hitting 5/6 then you can add weight and do a set of 2 at the end.

However if you enjoy WG ones then by all means stick with them.

Well then 1 at that weight is probably about what I could do, I'm 74kg at the moment. Which is why I'm so proud that my dead lifts and Bench press especially are coming along so well, I can lift more than my weight now which I feel is a bench mark, and also my bench press 1 rep max is 70 odd kg too :)

At the end of the day, you shouldn't worry about where you are compared to others, but where you are compared to when you started. That's the real gauge of how well your doing.

Great attitude mate, keep up the good work

Bodyweight plays a big factor. @100kg I can only just about do 12 - but they get ugly towards the end, but I do them properly wide grip, chin actually coming up past the bar. It takes a while to build up the strength to do it. You have to try very hard to engage parts of the back and not rely on the arms as much. If you contract your back on the way up you do get that extra bit of "pull". It's a fantastic exercise though. :)

Bodyweight plays a big factor. @100kg I can only just about do 12 - but they get ugly towards the end, but I do them properly wide grip, chin actually coming up past the bar. It takes a while to build up the strength to do it. You have to try very hard to engage parts of the back and not rely on the arms as much. If you contract your back on the way up you do get that extra bit of "pull". It's a fantastic exercise though. :)

You really are some sort of monster arent you?

Cool, well I have only really been going for about 3 months and definately making progress. I don't compare myself to anyone really, but its nice to see what you can be capable afer a few years. A good 5 or 6 of us from work are at the same gym so there is always someone to go with, if I went on my own I would really struggle with motivation.

Im not really going to bulk up massively (would be difficult at 6'2"), just want to get stronger and a more athletic build, which is certainly working so far.

Also started running in lunchtimes, trying to get uber fit ready for football season in September. Did 5 miles today and plan to go to gym late, although its probably not a great idea to do cardio then weights?

Also started running in lunchtimes, trying to get uber fit ready for football season in September. Did 5 miles today and plan to go to gym late, although its probably not a great idea to do cardio then weights?

I've seen numerous reports which actually suggest this is the best way to go. I.E. do cardio then 6+hours later do a weights session. I cant say i've tried it and don't think i'd do well on it but if it works for you then sweet. I'd keep a careful eye on your gym performance, if it starts to drop make sure you eat more to compensate for the running or perhaps drop it for your 'rest' days.

You seem to be more interested in CV aspect (getting ready for footy season.) Might be worth looking at circuit type workouts, you'll be amazed at how it impacts your CV system in a way running just doesn't.

I'm going to try BORs before DLs tonight, last few times I've found it difficult to complete my BORs due to back being shot from DLs. Anyone else do the same?

I tend to do mine after my dead lifts because I like to go all out on those, but I do understand what you mean. Let me know how you get on and I might consider switching if it doesn't make too much difference to the dead lifts.

You really are some sort of monster arent you?

I'm trying... Funnily enough I take that as a huge compliment! :D

Cool, well I have only really been going for about 3 months and definately making progress. I don't compare myself to anyone really, but its nice to see what you can be capable afer a few years. A good 5 or 6 of us from work are at the same gym so there is always someone to go with, if I went on my own I would really struggle with motivation.

Im not really going to bulk up massively (would be difficult at 6'2"), just want to get stronger and a more athletic build, which is certainly working so far.

Doing some cardio at lunch is a very good idea, for a start it'll help pick up your metabolism which would start to dip from 2-3pm, and set you up for a good gym session. Just make sure you nourish yourself well.

I think doing a bodyweight wide grip chin is no mean feat - it takes a while to get the technique right and for anyone trying it's a great achievement. Having someone to train with is absolutely vital - it's so easy ot get dejected.

Besides you've got to start somewhere, and I think you'll find that as you do more your body will start adapting quicker to the stimuli it gets. Bulking up at 6'2" shouldn't be that hard - if you want to do it, and remain lean and fit it is possible, but it does require hard work and dedication. :)

I'm going to try BORs before DLs tonight, last few times I've found it difficult to complete my BORs due to back being shot from DLs. Anyone else do the same?

That could work, though bear in mind that BORs do hit the posterior chain as well so it may affect your max lifts on DLs.

wide grip pullups are haaard, I did some yesterday and I struggled for about 6 on the first set. Obviously the others weren't as happy. But I do weigh 102kg so it's not that bad.
Reached 10x100 on my last set on seated cable rows and 5x150 on deadlifts. :D

Weird thing is that I struggled quite a lot for 120x8 on the dealifts, it was like the set took so long, but before the last set a rested a bit longer, relaxed, got into "RAWR/can do" mode and did 150kgx5 with perfect form. There was probably room for 2 more, but I reached my goal of 5 and set a new PB so I felt great afterwards. Gonna stick for 5 reps per set with big weights(well, at least for me) from now on on deadlifts, goes a lot easier that way.

Aparently lifting is so much about getting in front of that barbell with the right attitude. :D

Oh, I always do my deadlifts as last exercise on my back, and have varied my programme in the past two weeks, including BOR's/DB Rows/T Bar Rows. The effect on the deadlift was negligible.

Last edited:
Wide grip chins are such an important and integral part of a gym routine they should not be omitted. Yes they are hard, but that's because you need to build the strength up for them. I usually do 5 sets of 6 reps at least 3x a week - they are such a great exercise for development of core and a big back.

Today leg day:

Started off with my RC exercises for about 12mins (3 sets, 15 reps, 6 exercises)

Back squats:

10x60kg
10x100kg
10x120kg
8x140kg
6x160kg
ds: 10x100kg

45 deg Leg press:

10x160kg
10x200kg
10x240kg
8x280kg
8x280kg
5x320kg

SLDLs:

10x60kg
8x80kg
8x100kg
6x110kg
6x120kg
ds:10x80kg

Leg extensions:

12x100kg
11x100kg
10x100kg
8x100kg
8x100kg

15mins of rowing @ level 10.

Tidy little session, since I did DLs yesterday everything felt a bit hard work today. Still quite happy. Saturday I'll do some front squats plus my back workout just to really give them a hammering :D

I do wide grip chinups once a week, 11-12, 6 and 4 reps usually. They are taxing. Got another vid of less than perfect form of that, lol; but I saw Marius Pudzionovski cheat while doing it.

I found this vid funny as *$(£:

Did my BORs before DLs tonight, and it was brutal but I still managed my PB on DLs, but got an extra 10kg on my BORs :)

BORs:
10x40kg
10x60kg
10x70kg (PB)
6x70kg (fail)
10x60kg
10x40kg

DLs:
10x70kg
10x90kg
10x110kg
10x90kg
10x70kg

V-grip pulldowns:
10x49kg
10x56kg
10x63kg
10x70kg
10x63kg
10x49kg

One arm DB row:
10x30kg
10x30kg
10x30kg

Shrugs (I so suck at these..)
10x32kg
10x32kg

Above Super set with trap fly (arms ever so slightly bent):
10x10kg
10x10kg

All in all not bad.. brutal on my forearms (grip) and lower back started cramping on the last DL set, but I definitely got more out of my BORs. Given my forearms were willing to give up before my back was (almost dropped the bar by the 4th rep), I really am in need of some straps I think. Any particular ones, or "they are just straps you tit, buy some."?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom