Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, Nutrisport chocolate tastes good. The bulkpowder unflavoured is fine though, to me just the same as all the other unflavoured stuff. But when I can pay a few quid more and have it flavoured in the tub it's well worth it!

Well I didn't say it tastes bad. But since I hard the opportunity to taste both, I couldn't help noticing the weird sweet taste of Nutrisport (probably the ton of aspartame?) and the fact that the bulkpowders one mixes a lot better wthout leaving something that looks like sand on the bottom of the shaker.
Since it costs less and tastes better with a half a teaspoon of cocoa thrown in then my choice is simple. And I don't think it's that much of an issue to keep a jar of tesco cocoa nerby when I make my shake.:o

found a automated calc on the site that gives out a bit more info. http://www.weightrainer.net/bodypred.html

my info.

Height: 75 in Wrist: 7.75 in
Ankle: 11.25 in

Your estimated maximum muscular bodyweight at ~10% bodyfat is: 241.2 lbs

Your estimated maximum muscular measurements (@ ~8%-10% bodyfat) are:

Chest: 53.4 in Biceps: 18.6 in
Forearms: 14.9 in Neck: 18.1 in
Thighs: 29.1 in Calves: 19.5 in

not too shabby if i can hit them :D

found a automated calc on the site that gives out a bit more info. http://www.weightrainer.net/bodypred.html

my info.

Height: 75 in Wrist: 7.75 in
Ankle: 11.25 in

Your estimated maximum muscular bodyweight at ~10% bodyfat is: 241.2 lbs

Chest: 53.4 in Biceps: 18.6 in
Forearms: 14.9 in Neck: 18.1 in
Thighs: 29.1 in Calves: 19.5 in

not too shabby if i can hit them :D

Wow monster in the making :D

Mine are somewhat less because I'm a bit of a thinner build than you, very happy with them though :D

Chest: 48.3 in Biceps: 17.6 in
Forearms: 14.1 in Neck: 17.1 in
Thighs: 25.4 in Calves: 17 in

all over the shop to be honest.

6'3, 300lbs body fat around the 20-25% mark at a guess.

biceps 17.25" neck 19.75" forearm 14" (go go captains of crush)

chest 55" thighs 26" calves 19.5" (the joys of lugging 300lbs+ about for over a decade)

just starting to get active again care of a lack of funds so if im lucky il be back in the gym again in a week or two, will be the first time in one for over a year.

as for lifts, im guessing i can still lift 100kg's for reps as i can crank out 3x20 push up's. as for deadlifts never really done them in the gym for some reason but at a guess i wouldnt be surprsied if i could at least shift 120-130kg for reps. i know guessing aint lifts but its as much as i can do untill i get in the gym.

The WeighTrainer
Maximum Muscular Bodyweight and Measurements Calculator

Height: 73 in Wrist: 8 in
Ankle: 10 in

Your estimated maximum muscular bodyweight at ~12% bodyfat is: 232 lbs

Chest: 51.4 in Biceps: 18.6 in
Forearms: 14.9 in Neck: 18.2 in
Thighs: 27 in Calves: 18.1 in

So still 10lbs out :D But I need to drop 1.5%BF really.

On another bodybuilding forum someone posted this article and I must say it has been extremely useful so I thought I would share:

http://www.weightrainer.net/training/rules.html

It's long so maybe read it in small chunks.

I've actually read it all today, what can I say some interesting info, but a bit of bull**** as well.
First thing that comes to mind is the part about how pro bodybuilders have pictures taken of them using plastic weights because their joints become so weak because of steroid usage.The first thing that comes to mind was me looking at Coleman's training video a week ago, those weights don't look like they're made of plastic lol.

Then for the supplements, I do agree that products such as N.O. XPLODE or wonder weigh gainers are way to expensive for what they do, but I will not agree with the part that says creatine offers a small temporary strength boost and everything else is crap.

Creatine offers a major strength boost imho, I've noticed it each time I started a new cycle of it, and the strength is by no means temporary, it remains the same after I stopped using creatine. The water retention associated with is also way overrated.

Another example is glutamine which although needed to be taken in rather large doses does wonders in terms of recovery, also experimented on my own skin.

Last part says that a genetically gifted bodybuilder can hope to pack 20 pounds of muscle in the first year of training also makes me wonder, I've been training since october with 2 months off (Christmas and Easter spent home) and the first 2 months were't that intense, I didn't even train legs lol, and I've put on 10kgs while at the same time also dropping a bit of bodyfat.

Since I've managed to gain roughly 25pounds of muscle in 7months, according to him I'm either a genetically gifted monster(which I'm most certainly not) or have half a pharmacy in my ass, which I don't either.

Last edited:
I've actually read it all today, what can I say some interesting info, but a bit of bull**** as well.
First thing that comes to mind is the part about how pro bodybuilders have pictures taken of them using plastic weights because their joints become so weak because of steroid usage.The first thing that comes to mind was me looking at Coleman's training video a week ago, those weights don't look like they're made of plastic lol.

Then for the supplements, I do agree that products such as N.O. XPLODE or wonder weigh gainers are way to expensive for what they do, but I will not agree with the part that says creatine offers a small temporary strength boost and everything else is crap.

Creatine offers a major strength boost imho, I've noticed it each time I started a new cycle of it, and the strength is by no means temporary, it remains the same after I stopped using creatine. The water retention associated with is also way overrated.

Another example is glutamine which although needed to be taken in rather large doses does wonders in terms of recovery, also experimented on my own skin.

Last part says that a genetically gifted bodybuilder can hope to pack 20 pounds of muscle in the first year of training also makes me wonder, I've been training since october with 2 months off (Christmas and Easter spent home) and the first 2 months were't that intense, I didn't even train legs lol, and I've put on 10kgs while at the same time also dropping a bit of bodyfat.

Since I've managed to gain roughly 25pounds of muscle in 7months, according to him I'm either a genetically gifted monster(which I'm most certainly not) or have half a pharmacy in my ass, which I don't either.

Not disputing what you're saying but 10kg in 8 months?! Of lean muscle? Are you sure?

Also creatine ISN'T a magic powder and not everybody responds to it - in my diet I get a fair bit of creatine (more than I need) in my diet anyway so I see very little gained from taking creatine. However you might be one of these people that responds well. How many different supps ar you taking? I would hazard a guess that if you were to stop taking them you'd probably drop a fair bit of weight.

How long have you been in the game for? From a lot of the things you say and the way you say them it does sound to me like you're still a little "naive" (and I don't mean that in the way it sounds) about it all, I don't mean that in a bad way as I was exactly the same :)

You may just be lucky genetically in which case I'm envious - I'm quite lucky to be powerfully built, but I still have to work till I bleed to make progress and it's taken me over 3 years to gain just about 20lbs of LBM - I've gained more all together but actual LEAN muscle mass I've been measured in at around 20lbs - which is quite some feat for natural training. Admittedly I've been focusing on strength and power training more over the past 8 months or so to help with rugby and sports.

I apologise if my post comes across as rude or insulting, it's not meant to at all - but I spend a lot of time reading a lot of research, going to bodybuilding expos, speaking to many many experts, and sometimes I get a little cross with a lot of keyboard/armchair experts poo-pooing all that years and years of experience and expertise are saying.

Not disputing what you're saying but 10kg in 8 months?! Of lean muscle? Are you sure?
Well I was 92kgs when I started in ocotber I'm 102 now and pinching my abs, pictures and an old belt that I've gone 2 holes back says I've dropped a bit of bf as well. I'll consider that negiligible, but I still think 25lbs is a fair bet.

Also creatine ISN'T a magic powder and not everybody responds to it - in my diet I get a fair bit of creatine (more than I need) in my diet anyway so I see very little gained from taking creatine. However you might be one of these people that responds well. How many different supps ar you taking? I would hazard a guess that if you were to stop taking them you'd probably drop a fair bit of weight.
Of course is not a magic powder, but are you sure you get enough from your diet? I mean if memory recalls, 1kg of red meat has 5g of creatine which for a guy that weighs as much as me isn't much...
I must be a lucky person, yes. The only other thing I'm taking is glutamine, which as I said has helped a lot with my recovery.
Apart from that it's whey, (with dextrose/maltodextrin pwo), glucosamine sulphate and cod liver oil some Zinc so that I can keep those damn stretch mark under control :D and the odd vitamin here and there. And of course a reasonable diet.

I've done that "experiment" twice when I stopped going to the gym for a month each time, as you said I did drop a bit of weight, but I honestly blame not going to the gym at all. Each time I've put back everything I've lost in terms of strength and weight in a week and a half.

I've also noticed that for me it's better to cycle creatine, after taking it for a month it's useless so I stopped for 3 weeks, again no weight loss or in terms of strength, I've even progressed a bit in terms of strength. But when I came back on it the impulse was great for the strength.

How long have you been in the game for? From a lot of the things you say and the way you say them it does sound to me like you're still a little "naive" (and I don't mean that in the way it sounds) about it all, I don't mean that in a bad way as I was exactly the same :)
Well the first time I've read some articles and laid my hand on a dumbbell my dad made was about... 8 years ago. Before that I couldn't even do one push up and was a "pear shaped" individual, but in a couple of months I gained a lot of weight, lost a lot of fat, and could even do 15 chins, let alone push ups. :D But I was 12 back then, so the age must have plaid a very important role. Since then I've just messed around, I've never managed to train the whole body in one week cause i always got distracted and wasn't serious at all. And at home with just a dumbbell and fixed weight barbell there wasn't that much to do. That was untill last october when I stepped in a gym for the first time and only skipped about 2 or 3 trainings since then.(well apart from the 2 months that i didn't have access to a gym) The gym was close, I had lots of free time, so why not. So I am new in the gym game, but I think I know a bit about bodybuilding, although admitingly still wet-behind-the-ears sometimes.

You may just be lucky genetically in which case I'm envious - I'm quite lucky to be powerfully built, but I still have to work till I bleed to make progress and it's taken me over 3 years to gain just about 20lbs of LBM - I've gained more all together but actual LEAN muscle mass I've been measured in at around 20lbs - which is quite some feat for natural training. Admittedly I've been focusing on strength and power training more over the past 8 months or so to help with rugby and sports.

I honestly doubt it, because I've seen quite a few guys that were so much stronger and better built than me without ever stepping in a gym or even doing any sports. Heck I had a flatmate here whose arms are the same size as mine now and that could bench 75kgs the first time he stepped in a gym (took me like 4-5 months for that lol) He is genetically gifted, not me. I do admit that I wasn't a scrawny person before going to the gym but I've also worked hard whereas some people(and by this I do not mean you at all) simply do nothing and complain all day that they are "hard gainers" whereas their main problem is "hardly working".

I apologise if my post comes across as rude or insulting, it's not meant to at all - but I spend a lot of time reading a lot of research, going to bodybuilding expos, speaking to many many experts, and sometimes I get a little cross with a lot of keyboard/armchair experts poo-pooing all that years and years of experience and expertise are saying.
no offense taken, tell you what this week I'm gonna come with pictures and measurements of before and after me going to the gym. does that sound fair?:)

Zinc helps stop stretchmarks? Any info on why?

Did my chest today and dumbell benched 24kg :p, also dumbell flying 16-18kg now :D.

Think zinc is good for the skin in general?

Also, nice weights, got my db bench up to 18kg today and when I finished I felt like I could have done more :)

Those flies are huge, I can only do about 10 - 12kg :( (with proper form)

We're all bigger after a pump in the gym ;)

I'm not considering myself a hard-gainer, but I still train till my body breaks, and have always been fairly broad and reasonably solid. I started off on around 83kg or so and am now touching on 100kg, but I'm a bit shorter than you. I've slowed my progress down somewhat owing to my change in training style and owing to injuries. So other than my 150 bench, the rest are still going strong.

Maybe because you're in your first year of training your body is adapating to it quickly, but will start to plateau in due course.

I find there are little supps that I respond well to, creatine was one of them that I didn't respond much to. To be honest over 90% of the gains you get you get through hardwork, the last 10% *can* be helped by supps but even that's pushing it. Recovery is a bit different, but actual size and strength gains, I wouldn't categorically state that supps are doing much more than a little help.

Also, nice weights, got my db bench up to 18kg today and when I finished I felt like I could have done more :)

Those flies are huge, I can only do about 10 - 12kg :( (with proper form)

Yeah Im not sure about my form on the flies I bring my arms out a fair bit but not to the point where they are straight, I might have a look on exrx for a video (edit: I was doing this for the 16kg, 18kg was a bit worse form ). As for db bench, I find it a lot easier than the smith machine (no barbells in my gym :() which I can do 65kg for 5-6 reps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom