Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
wrist supports and gloves made a difference last night. Might just be placebo, but I found myself much more focused on pressing than keeping my wrists and hands comfortable. Pushed out an extra set of 90kg on the bench, an extra set on the assisted dips, and upped the weight on the incline press :)

Flat Bench:
10x60kg
10x80kg
8x90kg
8x90kg
10x80kg
10x60kg

Assisted Dips (BW = 115kg):
10xBW-40kg
10xBW-35kg
10xBW-30kg
10xBW-30kg
10xBW-35kg
10xBW-40kg

Incline press (smith):
10xbar+40kg
10xbar+50kg
10xbar+55kg
10xbar+50kg
10xbar+40kg

Trunk twists:
10x35kg
10x35kg
10x35kg
10x35kg

Hammer curls:
10x16kg
8x18kg
6x20kg
6x20kg
8x18kg
10x16kg

Lumbar belt arrived today, back day tomorrow. Looking forward to DLs with new straps and belt. :)

I'm so going to invite myself round one weekend! :D

Sounds good. Maybe an ocuk 'strongman Sunday' sometime down a Dunstable Industrial Park :cool:

The weights probably won't be as challenging for you as they are me mind,but we have long streches of road to play with that would make up for it.

I think I have got the split for my routine right, or at least in the way that I like it.

Monday - Chest/Back
Dumbbell Fly - 3x12
Incline Bench Press - 3x12
Dumbbell Bench Press - 3x12

Wide Angle Pull Up - 3x10
Seated Row - 3x12
One Arm Dumbbell Row - 3x10

Situps - 2x15
Crunches - 2x15
Back Extension - 2x15

Wednesday - Shoulders/Legs
Squat (75% Max Increasing - 3x12
Leg Extension - 3x10
Leg Curl - 3x10

Military Press - 3x10
Dumbell Lateral Raise - 3x10
Barbell Upright Row - 3x10

Thursday - Bicep/Tricep
Tricep Dips - 3xfailure
Skull Crushers - 3x10

Dumbell Incline Curl - 3x12

Situps - 2x15
Crunches - 2x15
Back Extension - 2x15

All Days
I do some sort of cardio work out either running or cycling mainly to use up all the time I have left.

Would anyone recommend any changes? or different exercise for me to try out when to keep myself interested.

I think I have got the split for my routine right, or at least in the way that I like it.

Monday - Chest/Back
Dumbbell Fly - 3x12
Incline Bench Press - 3x12
Dumbbell Bench Press - 3x12

Wide Angle Pull Up - 3x10
Seated Row - 3x12
One Arm Dumbbell Row - 3x10

Situps - 2x15
Crunches - 2x15
Back Extension - 2x15

Wednesday - Shoulders/Legs
Squat (75% Max Increasing - 3x12
Leg Extension - 3x10
Leg Curl - 3x10

Military Press - 3x10
Dumbell Lateral Raise - 3x10
Barbell Upright Row - 3x10

Thursday - Bicep/Tricep
Tricep Dips - 3xfailure
Skull Crushers - 3x10

Dumbell Incline Curl - 3x12

Situps - 2x15
Crunches - 2x15
Back Extension - 2x15

All Days
I do some sort of cardio work out either running or cycling mainly to use up all the time I have left.

Would anyone recommend any changes? or different exercise for me to try out when to keep myself interested.

On Monday you're working 2 of the biggest muscle groups together, try and work back, chest and legs on seperate days to allow you to put everything into them ;)

edit: You may also find it useful to include some calf raises on the leg day :)

Last edited:
mjer1984.

You may find
1: chest/tri
2: shoulders/legs
3: back/ bi's

works better for you.
Try not to do both opposing muscle groups in one go, and also not to do more than one of the major groups each time...

As a 3 day split thats another option for you... push, pull, legs.

1: push, bench (incline, flat, decline) shoulder press, close grip bench etc
2: pull, deadlift, bent over row, one arm row, curls etc
3: legs, squats, calf raises, sldl, and so on.

the above is just a rough example and in no way a full routine...

I never understand why people mix chest and tris and back and bis - you hit tris doing chest and you hit bis doing back, unless you're wanting to pre-exhaust. I seldom train arms anyway, however, if you are going to train arms properly, I'd say chest/bis and back tris a better combination.

I still can't do legs with anything else - it takes 90mins for a good leg work out and by then I'm dead. I like to do shoulders and then sometimes do an "arm" day with them. But hten I train 4x a week minimum.

I do like push pull splits they work well.

Eeek apparently my BMR is 1908.9 x ~1.6 (I go to the gym 5 times a week, will be trying to do 1 day cardio and walk ~ 30+ mins each way to the gym, so is this a good estimate) puts me at 3050 calories a day. Currently I've been eating ~2600-2800 but havent been losing weight, so should I try up it to 3000 and see how it goes from there? Also is taking 2 omega 3 fish oils a day enough, or do I need to wait to see any results?

I never understand why people mix chest and tris and back and bis - you hit tris doing chest and you hit bis doing back, unless you're wanting to pre-exhaust. I seldom train arms anyway, however, if you are going to train arms properly, I'd say chest/bis and back tris a better combination.

I still can't do legs with anything else - it takes 90mins for a good leg work out and by then I'm dead. I like to do shoulders and then sometimes do an "arm" day with them. But hten I train 4x a week minimum.

Personal preference for me, really. I like isolating triceps after I know they've had a decent hit from chest exercises.

4 hours sleep + chest workout = NO WAY. As I've just discovered. :( I feel sick...

Think it's just a worry about overtraining. Like you said, if you train chest you're going to be training tris - but if you've got tris with back the next day then then tris might be overworked.

Don't bother isolating arms myself either - maybe when I get to a decent size I'll think about it.

Oh I'm sure I'd struggle nicely! If you want to set up a meet please do I'm happy to offer any assistance/support you need - I think it could be a good laugh. :)

I'll see what can be done then :)

I'd be looking at late July/early August, if that fits with most people.

For that very reason mate.
For me they get hit harder when i train tri's after chest, and same for the other muscle groups. I fight 3 times a week as well so to hit each muscle group twice or more would leave me with no energy.

A video of Eugen Sandow, the subject of one of the earliest motion pictures ever created (as you probably know): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXEP2P_h9jw&eur
(skip through the first 20 secs of nonsense)

I was watching that and just wondering if someone like Freefaller could do the little bit he does at about forty secs in... :D Amazing historic footage really.

70830004348d8e2a.jpg

Although I guess by todays standards he looked better when he was younger?

eugensandow1.jpg

Edit: Sorry maybe this should have been a seperate thread?

Last edited:
Quick question about BOR's with BB. When you lower the barbell should it touch the ground? And if not (in my case) am i doing wrong, should i be bending my knees/back further so that it does go to the ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom