Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I'm sitting here with my eyes constantly drooping down... I've literally never been this tired before.
There was no one else at boxing today so the coach took me into the main gym for a bit of HIIT on the cv bikes. Jesus Christ. 20 minutes of him shouting at me and sweat pouring off and me just giving it everything I had. It was the first time I'd done HIIT like that and frankly I really enjoyed it. Then we went back to the ring and did about 20 minutes of pad work (in 3 minute rounds with 1 minute break between as normal), then I had to spar with this Spanish dude who just randomly turned up and spoke almost no English. We didn't really know what he was doing there but he looked pretty handy on the bags so I sparred with him. It was like getting hit with a sledgehammer, at least most of his hooks were slow enough for me to slip.

My legs are destroyed :)

Soldato
I am currently squatting around 85KG

Been training about 7 months

My bodyweight is around 77KG
How are you currently finding the squats? Challenging? Just getting by?

3-4 hours of mountain biking does sound quite tiring to say the least!

Personally I'd continue until the squats get really tough (circa 100kg+) then you'll have no choice really as the squats do really start to let your body know if you're getting adequate rest.

I weigh 72kg and I'm on 110kg and I'm starting to feel the volume now.

Soldato
This maybe an unusual question (and maybe a little silly)

I have been on a cut now for 12weeks, and so far have managed to lose about 48lbs, and have lost 8.25" on my waist (all thanks to james and mickey on MT)
Im not really sure of what bf I am at the moment (i look beter or worse depending on the mirror i look in ha)
But what i wanted to ask is...Do you look the same at different bodyfat, as in say you went from 18-15% would you notice actually much of a visual difference?
Because as i cut i seem to have stages where nothing happens in terms of bf (even though im losing weight and inches on my waist) and then all of a sudden i look a lot more cut.

Associate
How are you currently finding the squats? Challenging? Just getting by?

3-4 hours of mountain biking does sound quite tiring to say the least!

Personally I'd continue until the squats get really tough (circa 100kg+) then you'll have no choice really as the squats do really start to let your body know if you're getting adequate rest.

I weigh 72kg and I'm on 110kg and I'm starting to feel the volume now.

Yes I find it very challenging, I know it's not a huge number but it is my current limit. I go to parallel.

I'll stick at it then. I do the biking for fun - but I know it is a little detrimental to my bulking but I guess I just have to eat more to compensate.

Caporegime
Had a mediocre back day yesterday. Still watching out for my right shoulder although it is practically back to normal, but equalled my PB on deadlifts :)

Wide hammer grip pullups (BW = 118kg):

1xBW (full)
2xBW (negatives)

Then straight onto wide pull downs:
10x49kg (felt like it did nothing, but hey who..)
10x56kg
10x63kg
10x70kg
10x77kg

Dead lifts:
10x70kg
10x110kg
5x150kg
5x150kg
10x70kg

BOR:
10x60kg
10x70kg
10x80kg
10x60kg

One arm rows:
10x30kg
10x34kg
10x34kg
10x34kg

DB Shrugs:
10x24kg
10x26kg
10x28kg
10x30kg

Bent over DB flyes:
10x6kg
10x8kg
10x8kg
10x8kg

Soldato
This maybe an unusual question (and maybe a little silly)

I have been on a cut now for 12weeks, and so far have managed to lose about 48lbs, and have lost 8.25" on my waist (all thanks to james and mickey on MT)
Im not really sure of what bf I am at the moment (i look beter or worse depending on the mirror i look in ha)
But what i wanted to ask is...Do you look the same at different bodyfat, as in say you went from 18-15% would you notice actually much of a visual difference?
Because as i cut i seem to have stages where nothing happens in terms of bf (even though im losing weight and inches on my waist) and then all of a sudden i look a lot more cut.
Get a caliper, they're £10 delivered, it's something everyone should own at that price :)

That's a HUGE amount of loss! How much did you originally weight? Have you got any comparison pictures?

The whole visual thing is extremely tough to tell. Why? You see your self in the mirror everyday and it becomes a tough game, when I lost a large amount of bodyfat my mind kept telling me nothing was changing. Boy did the pictures paint a different story.

Yes I find it very challenging, I know it's not a huge number but it is my current limit. I go to parallel.

I'll stick at it then. I do the biking for fun - but I know it is a little detrimental to my bulking but I guess I just have to eat more to compensate.
If it's your current limit, I'd cut back on the biking. Surely your body should now be letting you know you need more recovery?

Soldato
Get a caliper, they're £10 delivered, it's something everyone should own at that price :)

That's a HUGE amount of loss! How much did you originally weight? Have you got any comparison pictures?

The whole visual thing is extremely tough to tell. Why? You see your self in the mirror everyday and it becomes a tough game, when I lost a large amount of bodyfat my mind kept telling me nothing was changing. Boy did the pictures paint a different story.

I should get some callipers, i assume they come with instructions on how to use correctly?
I weighed 18st and now im down to 14st 7lbs, my waist was originally pretty much 41" and now its slightly under 33".
Worst thing is i didnt take any before photos, so i couldnt really say what sort of bf i have lost even just by looking at the weight loss and waist difference

Soldato
I should get some callipers, i assume they come with instructions on how to use correctly?
I weighed 18st and now im down to 14st 7lbs, my waist was originally pretty much 41" and now its slightly under 33".
Worst thing is i didnt take any before photos, so i couldnt really say what sort of bf i have lost even just by looking at the weight loss and waist difference
That's bloody amazing! Well done :cool:

Here's my 45-50lb loss: http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/8306/frontreh.jpg

I'm not sure on the bf on the left but on the right I'm at 14% which was approx 2 months ago. Pick up some calipers and take pictures!

Soldato
That's bloody amazing! Well done :cool:

Here's my 45-50lb loss: http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/8306/frontreh.jpg

I'm not sure on the bf on the left but on the right I'm at 14% which was approx 2 months ago. Pick up some calipers and take pictures!

Awsoem loss there mate:D. The pic on the right looks around where i am currently. But my hairy body maybe covering up some extra deffinition ha:D
Can i get bodyfat callipers from any fitness shop online?

Soldato
Fellas, need a little advice...

My upper body is coming along nicely, but I've woefully neglected my legs over the last 12 months and need to do something about it.

I'm 6'5 and 95kg at the moment, but I have the pins of a 12yr old girl :(.

My current leg session (once a week) is as follows:

Squats - 5x5 @ 85kg
Calf extension - 4x10 @ 90kg
Hamstring curl (on machine) - 4x8 @ 50/60kg
Leg extension (on machine) - 4x8 @ 60kg
Leg press (on machine) - 4x8 @ 120kg

I can barely walk the next day or for a few after that so I must be doing something right, but I'd like to build some size (not so bothered about strength) to even myself up a bit.

Any suggestions?

Man of Honour
OP
How big your ROM? What are your eccentric movements like? Are you increasing the weight if it gets too easy? Try increasing the volume - legs like volume - though they will tell you about it in the morning! ;)

From what you'ev posted above you're clearly not doing enough volume, and I doubt your're going deep enough or slow enough or heavy enough if the other 2 points are incorrect.

Soldato
How big your ROM? What are your eccentric movements like? Are you increasing the weight if it gets too easy? Try increasing the volume - legs like volume - though they will tell you about it in the morning! ;)

From what you'ev posted above you're clearly not doing enough volume, and I doubt your're going deep enough or slow enough or heavy enough if the other 2 points are incorrect.
Not sure what ROM is Mr Faller!

I'm dropping the squats as low as I can get them and I do all my exercises nice and slowly.

As for weight, I move it up as soon as I can do a set easily. Was just wondering if I need to increase the number of sets, I assume this is what you mean by volume? Should I change the number of reps per set too for max size gain?

Soldato
I have trouble walking down the stairs following a session, and driving my car home is certainly a struggle too!

What is the ideal sets and reps to aim for for size then? Is 5x5 at as heavy a weight I can squat (currently 85kg) not enough?

Man of Honour
OP
Chris, I'd increase the weight progressively through your sets, i.e. start on 70, 75, 80, 85, 90 etc... and try and take a good 4s to get down to the ground and do a very fast explosive upwards movement.

Try doing some step-ups, they seriously cane the legs.

Soldato
Same number of reps per set on each weight?

I like the idea of explosive upwards movement actually, good call. Although it's more of a wobble with a pained expression on my face at the moment...!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom