Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dun

dun

Soldato
Ohhh ye sorry forgot about those. They're great just to make a video like, but both start out great then just turning into long drawn out singles. A great display for a one off but I would rather just rack it back up and do another 8-10 or whatever good paced reps when I recovered for a few sets :p.

Here's a great tempo one from Tom Platz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjtVvYk1HWw

Man of Honour
OP
Chest and back. AGVT cycle 2. All weights up by 6%!

Again all neg reps are slow 4s. Whilst you should aim for 5 reps 4 is the target this week.

Flat BB bench:

10x5 reps @ 85kg

didn't find this too challenging but got a good burn on and certainly felt it by then end.

Wide gripchins

BW + 5kg.

Dear god this was hard. The hard bit is the negative. Pulling yourself up isn't too bad it's the 4s lowering that is absolutely deadly!

First 6 sets managed 5 reps.
7,8,9 only squeezed 4 out
10th I managed a messy set of 5 but the negs were too quick slow but not slow or controlled enough.

Dips BW +5kg

3x8 reps. Slow negs quite easy not too much drama b

single arm DB rows

3x8 @ 27.5kgs

again pretty straight forward really slow reps and flgood ROM and squeezing the back traps and lats at the top.

Legs today can't wait!!!! :D

Caporegime
Failed at the gym big time this week. A mixture of cutting and 3 months off has taken it's toll after only 4 weeks back and most of my lifts have stalled. Lost just under 3/4s of a stone in that time so it's not all bad.

Going to do some 5 rep max lifts next week and up my calories before starting a 5x5 routine.

Soldato
I feel like donut, today was the day for 1.5X bodyweight at 105kg but for some bizarre reason I have 110KG there :o

Here's my last set, I'd appreciate any input:

Depth looks good I'm finding the knees quite worrying, sometimes they move slightly in. Feeling some major DOMS around the glutes/hams!

Man of Honour
OP
AGVT - Friday Legs.

This was tough, everything has gone up by 6% - and it's not easy!

10x5 reps @ 110kg ATG back squats. 4s negs, and supposed explosive concentric - but a couple of times it was a bit of a wobble :D The 6th and 7th set nearly killed me - surprisingly it got a bit easier for the last few :/ Still liking the reps and the lighter weights - looking forward to doing this with 140+ :D

SLDLs

10x5 reps @80kg

Ouch ouch ouch.

Step ups - 50 degree step up so quite a lot of pressure on the quads, calves and glutes.

3x8 reps @ 110kg (nearly puked on the last one)

Hammy curls

3x8 reps @ 60kg (just as a warm down).

15 mins @ 60% effort rowing machine.

Associate
Is it possible to get benches with racks/stands for dumbbells? Such that I can place a pair of dumbbells either side of myself, get into position safely then use the weights that are helpfully held in place for me. Similar to how a lot of benches have a stand for a barbell. Every time I search for such a device I get links for dumbbell storage solutions instead. I feel I'm too weak to hold the dumbbells safely whilst I am getting into position. :(

Associate
Is it possible to get benches with racks/stands for dumbbells? Such that I can place a pair of dumbbells either side of myself, get into position safely then use the weights that are helpfully held in place for me. Similar to how a lot of benches have a stand for a barbell. Every time I search for such a device I get links for dumbbell storage solutions instead. I feel I'm too weak to hold the dumbbells safely whilst I am getting into position. :(

Can you not simply place them either side of you on the floor? Alternatively get a stack of books either side of you bench and place them on them?

I'm not sure that the product you are looking for exists :(

Soldato

What exercise for? If I'm going for a flat/incline bench I bring the dumbells onto my knees then rotate onto my chest, apparently you can kick them up onto your shoulders too.

Associate
What exercise for? If I'm going for a flat/incline bench I bring the dumbells onto my knees then rotate onto my chest, apparently you can kick them up onto your shoulders too.

I haven't got a bench yet but I was planning on getting one for presses, flys, rows and shoulder work. For most of that I should be fine but I think I'd struggle to get into position for a bench press with 35kg dumbbells.

Do you do something similar to this? I may have to practice that then, I haven't got the compact weights that he has so I'm not sure if it's going to be easy.

Can you not simply place them either side of you on the floor? Alternatively get a stack of books either side of you bench and place them on them?

I'm not sure that the product you are looking for exists :(

Surely if you try picking them up from the floor you wouldn't be able to reach both at once. If you pick one up at a time you'd be off balance and it would be difficult to swing the second weight around with one hand? I threw away most of my books but I could try putting an old amp either side and hope nothing rolls off. :D

You're probably right that there isn't such a product so I'll look for a standard bench and try the suggestions you both gave me. Thanks.

Soldato
Associate
I think that's the correct form for it, I however just rotate them onto my abs when I lay down (Probably increasing chance of injury). You should be fine for everything except bench press though.

I just had a go at that using 30kg dumbbells and lying back on my bed. The first attempt ended with a loud clanging sound and skin chipped off one of my knuckles but the next few attempts weren't too bad. I certainly don't find it anywhere near as easy as the guy in the animation makes it appear but I think it might be manageable with a lot of practice. :o

Thanks again for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom