Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dun

dun

Soldato
One thing I've never been very interested in is kettlebells. Seems like an awkward dumbbell for everything I've seen them used for. Apart from the novelty value why bother?

dun

dun

Soldato
I can perhaps see how they would be good for specific sports, but not necessarily better than regular dumbbells and barbell. Why would you be able to use a larger ROM with a kettlebell? All the videos seem to rely on a lot of technique and momentum.

Soldato
Finally starting to get into some sort of respectable condition and strength after the long lay-off. Still struggling with tendons and ruptured my achilles just a couple of weeks ago, so obviously calf work is out... thankfully it's not holding me back elsewhere.

Saturday 18th July
Week 5 - Lower A
- 3 of 4

Squat -
8x140,
7x140,
7x130
45' Leg Press -
12x280,
12x290
Standing Single Leg Curl -
12x15,
10x17.5
RDL's -
6x140,
6x150,
6x150,
6x150.

Sunday 19th July
Week 5 - Upper B
- 4 of 4

Inc DB Press -
7x50's,
7x50's,
6x50's.
5x50's.
Chins -
8xbw, (CGPI grip)
8xbw, (CGPI grip)
6xbw (hammer grip)
4xbw. (hammer grip)
Gironda Dips -
8+25kg,
8+25kg,
5+20kg
5xbw
Cable Row - underhand -
8x95,
7x95,
6x95,
Overhead Cable Tricep Extentions -
13x65,
11x65
EZ-Bar Drag Curls -
12x40,
10x40

Only managed to train 3 times in the past 2 weeks for various reasons, I think this shows as I was fading quite badly in most exercises through the sets.

Associate
I currently do mountain biking twice a week for a good 3-4 hrs each session.

I also do the stronglifts 5x5 so am squatting 3 days a week.

Do you think 2 days a week is adequate rest time my legs?

Soldato
Form looks quite good although I think you could go a few inches lower.

Concentrate on pushing your knees out over your toes and that'll stop them folding inwards :)
Could you elaborate on that please?

Edit:- You mean like this?

image002.jpg

I currently do mountain biking twice a week for a good 3-4 hrs each session.

I also do the stronglifts 5x5 so am squatting 3 days a week.

Do you think 2 days a week is adequate rest time my legs?
What weight are you currently squatting? How long have you been training? What's your bodyweight?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
A is good form
B is baaaaad

Also when it comes to lifting there's absolutely no point in fast eccentric movements, doing that you're just achieving very little bar strength gains a bit of growth, If you want to maximise your gains through your workouts slow eccentrics are vital! Plus it hurts a lot more :D 4s negs on squats make it a lot harder, you seriously have to nearly cut your weight by 1/4.

Soldato
A is good form
B is baaaaad

Also when it comes to lifting there's absolutely no point in fast eccentric movements, doing that you're just achieving very little bar strength gains a bit of growth, If you want to maximise your gains through your workouts slow eccentrics are vital! Plus it hurts a lot more :D 4s negs on squats make it a lot harder, you seriously have to nearly cut your weight by 1/4.
Note taken - will see how it goes at 107.5 today :)

Man of Honour
OP
GVT Chest/back

30 Degree incline @ 65kg

Again not very heavy, but 10 sets of 5 reps with slooooow negs. Really concentrating on squeezing the chest on the way up, and controlling the bar slowly on the way down - it's amazing how much it starts to burn by the 7th set.

Hammer grip chins @ BW + 5kg

Hate hate hate these - so so hard. The first few sets are fine - then it starts to get really difficult letting yourself down slowly. At the bottom my arms are fully extended, so none of this half rep crap.

Managed 5 reps on all but the penultimate set. Somehow I managed to dig deep and get the 5th one out on the last set.

DB Flat Bench @ 27.5kg

3 sets of 8 reps, with slow negs again, no lock out at top and DBs don't touch so the tension is kept on at all times.

Suppinated BORs @ 65kg

3 sets of 8, again slow slow negs, strict form and lots of swearing.

Even though the weights aren't massive, I have been concenrtating more on form as a result of this GVT training, and boy I tell you what I can feel it a lot more. I guess you just don't realise how much you "cheat" when you're lifting weights. Sure I can lift 550kg but I wonder how many of those are "good" lifts in terms of benefit.

Soldato
I had the most difficult squat session yesterday. I took it slower as FF suggested and I made a number of adjustments to my squats after reading starting strength.

I did the following:
Grip was narrower than usual - resulting in a tighter upper back
Wrist alignment
Thumb over bar
Knees over toes

I took the squats slower and I have to say I was absolutely worn out. By the second set I was dripping sweat. I made the full 5 but it was far from easy. I feel more comfortable with the new stance.

I'm not sure on the OHP. I failed on the second set as follows; 5,4,5,5,5 but I think it was purely down to lack of rest time. I'm not going to deload, I'll attempt another set @50kg and continue to increment.

I think I'm starting to nail the deadlift form. The reason why I wasn't improving was I wasn't lifting light enough. At 65KG for 5 sets, I think I'm almost there. I'd rather have my back than my ego thanks. Usually I feel it from my lower back after deads, but not anymore I feel more from my quads/glutes which is a good sign.

Last edited:
Soldato
GVT Chest/back

Hammer grip chins @ BW + 5kg

Hate hate hate these - so so hard. The first few sets are fine - then it starts to get really difficult letting yourself down slowly. At the bottom my arms are fully extended, so none of this half rep crap.

Have you thrown in the 'lean away chins' at all FF? Those are rotten and kill my core like nothing else, let alone my arms and back!

Caporegime
Good session for me tonight. Still a mile off the weights I was lifting when I was heavier but set a few new PBs for my weight (207lbs).

Bench
60 x 5
80 x 5
100 x 5
110 x 5
120 x 5

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press
70 x 8
80 x 8
90 x 8

Weighted Parallel Bar Dips
15 x 8
20 x 8
25 x 5

Flyes
65 x 12
70 x 12

Soldato
just got a little daughter (3 weeks old) and I am finding it hard to get time to workout when i do I'm just so dam tired my hearts not in it.

any tips to you dads out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom