Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Another good session for me tonight. Shoulders felt strong so I gave them a hammering.

Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press
30s x 8
35s x 8
40s x 8

Seated Olympic Bar Shoulder Press
40 x 8
50 x 8
60 x 8
70 x 8
80 x 5

Wide Grip Pull Ups
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 5

T-Bar Rows
60 x 5
70 x 5
80 x 5
90 x 5
100 x 5

Weighted Hyper Extensions\Crunches
20 x 12
20 x 12

Last edited:

PAz

PAz

Soldato
Well, first proper session back on the squats after a lay off due to knee injury.

Feels much better! Completly avoided any leg work except for very light one-leg leg presses and of course the 'strongman' training - and the knee felt GREAT!

5x5 @ 100kg nice and deep was easy very comfortable. 4 weeks at 5x5 then me and my training partner are very tempted to start Smolov :)

Caporegime
If you do please start a new thread to log your progress so it's easier to keep track of. Smolov's always appealed to me although the limited exercise choice has stopped me doing it so far. Will probably give it a go if I ever get an injury that stops me from doing most other exercises for a while.

PAz

PAz

Soldato
OK I'll do that then. Aiming to do 2 more weeks at 5x5 and then a max week so can work out my weights, then start Smolov. Only thing I'm a little worried about is how my knee will hold up, but should be OK if I keep don't try and go OTT with the weights.

Soldato
DId my first Deadlifts yesterday.

40kg - Practically going supersonic.
50kg - That's better.
55kg - Stuck with this and could do 8 x 5sets (although on sets 4+5 I lost grip at rep 7 both times :(:()

Will get onto 60kg next week and do the 5x5 workout as intended.

How much weight do people put on each week, I normally put on about 1-2kg every few weeks rather than every week. Eating about 2800calories per day accoring to some nutritional site / exercise logger (forgotten its damn name :p).

B.t.w. 24, 6ft 2inches, 87.1kg, lanky, too much flab (18+% BF)

Caporegime
Had a nightmare at the gym tonight. Wanted 170 x 5 for squats but felt light headed during my warm up sets. Did 100 which was tough followed by 120 which nearly broke me. Only managed 140 once before puking with the bar still on my back. I've been sick between sets before but never during :o

Week off me thinks.

Last edited:
Associate
Had a nightmare at the gym tonight. Wanted 170 x 5 for squats but felt light headed during my warm up sets. Did 100 which was tough followed by 120 which nearly broke me. Only managed 140 once before puking with the bar still on my back. I've been sick between sets before but never during :o

Week off me thinks.

Nightmare! :eek: Had a few dodgy moments on squat days myself though nothing that bad yet *touches wood*

Soldato
I would hope not, there is no need what so ever and to some extent its not the safest grip, especially when learning to deadlift.

Oh rly? I thought it was the recommended way to do it... I've just been doing it that way from the start, I guess I will try different next time.

Sorry for the bad post I guess.

Caporegime
at a weight like that its best to get strengthening the grip.
also, many people seem to change one hand only, always, not good.

from a safety pov, i am sure i have read many times that torn biceps are more common when using mixed grip, i think this is from not locking out the arm putting excess pressure on the bicep.

mixed grip is a great tool, but not really needed when starting out :]

Associate
Woo!

New PB on the deadlift. Decided to go for a 1RM as I'd never tried before. Managed to do 2 reps on 170kg. Smashed my previous 5 x 150kg. At 68kg bodyweight that's exactly 2.5 x weight which is a ratio I'm pretty chuffed with. Need to bring my bench in line so working on a good plateau busting routine for that.

Reckon I could get more reps out on the deadlift but my grip gives way - worth looking into straps or will grip strengthening exercises actually help with this?

Caporegime
fella, that is awesome tbh, excellent lifting :]

do you feel that your grip is really restricting you, or are we talking 1 or 2 reps on your last set?
if its the latter, then go for it, get some straps :]

I'd seriously be considering entering a tested powerlifting comp as well with a DL like that, even if its only to do deads :p

Associate
Cheers for the feedback mate. I get some strange looks at the gym with all my grunting but it's worth it :)

My deadlift has come on bucket loads since I started breathing properly - filling chest with air - holding in and then exhaling at the top. Makes so much difference and feels so much sturdier.

Does height factor into the categories in powerlifting? Cos although only 68kg I'm 5'6 and hence I guess I have an advantage.

Can't beat the feeling of lifting heavy on deads :D

On the grip point - I feel it's holding me back on the 3rd - 5th/6th sets. It's fine to start with but I can only do about 3 or 4 lifts as I get heavy, which is part of the reason why I thought that I may as well go extra heavy because I'm not going to be able to do enough reps at say 145-150kg to make it worthwhile - I'd still only squeeze about 4 out before my grip (always left hand) gives way.

Caporegime
height makes no different at all, its all about weight.
being short is a good thing, do you do conventional lifting or sumo?
sumo might be even better for you as it would mean even less travel for the bar from floor!

Associate
I do conventional deadlifts, never tried sumo.

I'm starting to feel a bit of strain on the lower back on squat days though at the moment - I wonder if it would be beneficial to not train heavy squats and heavy deads the same week, give my back some time to recover?

Feels wrong not training heavy deads though! I'd rather ease up on the squats...

Caporegime
if you are really going for it strength wise, there are a few routines that might be of interest to you. also, there is no harm in doing your routine over say 8 -10 days, instead of 7 (if you see what i mean).
DE / ME routines can be found in a few places (DE - dynamic effort / ME - Max effort) :]

do you use a belt? well worth investing in tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom