Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
Thought id post my training today, playing around with partials and split days atm

AM - CNS 1RM+doubles+partials

3x1x135kg flat bench
3x2x120kg flat bench
3x5x145kg (flat bench 1/2 ROM)
3x5x135kg (flat bench 3/4 ROM)

3x1x115kg incline bench
3x2x100kg incline bench
3x5x120kg (incline bench 1/2 ROM)
Pump was right after this so didnt bother wth any more, bear in mind i cant be fatigued for PM session.

PM (approx 5 hours later)

4x7x100 Flat bench
4x7xBW Parallel bar dips (bw @ 115kg)
4x7x35kg lying cable rope extensions
4x7x22.5 flat flyes
4x7x70kg incline close grip bench (hand touching)

Note that my flat bench grip is pinkies touching the collars.

Just getting back into my stride atm after a few lax months.

Last edited:
Soldato
After many years of being a pussy about it I finally went and joined a gym today and had my first ever gym session. My arms are hurting so much it was painful turning the steering wheel on my car on the way home.

I guess I must be doing something right but I'm not looking forward to waking up tomorrow, that is for sure....

Soldato
I just joined the gym close to me - have to admit as much as I want to do it, I am feeling pretty intimidated. I have a feeling after half a dozen visits i'll settle in - think I'll just go for the first few times this week and have a quick work out and get used to the flow.

Rich

Soldato
I just joined the gym close to me - have to admit as much as I want to do it, I am feeling pretty intimidated. I have a feeling after half a dozen visits i'll settle in - think I'll just go for the first few times this week and have a quick work out and get used to the flow.

Rich

What do you mean by intimidated? If you mean by the other members of the gym then you could try to go at times when the gym is quiet until you know what you are doing on all the equipment.

I go in the mornings before work (not because of intimidation) because it's quiet and I don't have to wait for any equipment and can just get on with my workout without any distractions.

Soldato
What do you mean by intimidated? If you mean by the other members of the gym then you could try to go at times when the gym is quiet until you know what you are doing on all the equipment.

I go in the mornings before work (not because of intimidation) because it's quiet and I don't have to wait for any equipment and can just get on with my workout without any distractions.

It is mainly that - the thing is I know it's stupid, and I know everyone is there for the same reasons, guess I am just nervous as it's all a bit new to me!

I was planning on visiting this afternoon, but I think I will go tomorrow morning, get up early and put in an hour before 9 or 10 or something. Also all the rooms will be free to do the Plyometric stuff the trainer recommended.

Rich

Associate
Just wondering if there is anyone else on here who's using the tabata protocol? I thought I'd give it a crack for a few months and see how I get on.

Just did my first session, which went like this :

-Stretching
-5 mins skipping rope for warmup
-20s x Mountain climbers as fast as I could do them 10s x rest (repeat this stage a further 7 times)
-5 mins skipping rope for cool down
-Stretch
-Collapse in a heap and try not to be sick

It was so intense and I sweat so much that I look like I've been for a swim.

Has anybody that has used tabata / is using it got any tips or hints for me? Best exercises to use etc?

I was going to do burpees but the doms from my chest session yesterday has ruled out any sort of press up motion :D.

dun

dun

Soldato
Just wondering if there is anyone else on here who's using the tabata protocol? I thought I'd give it a crack for a few months and see how I get on.

Just did my first session, which went like this :

-Stretching
-5 mins skipping rope for warmup
-20s x Mountain climbers as fast as I could do them 10s x rest (repeat this stage a further 7 times)
-5 mins skipping rope for cool down
-Stretch
-Collapse in a heap and try not to be sick

It was so intense and I sweat so much that I look like I've been for a swim.

Has anybody that has used tabata / is using it got any tips or hints for me? Best exercises to use etc?

I was going to do burpees but the doms from my chest session yesterday has ruled out any sort of press up motion :D.

What are you hoping to get out of it mate?

Associate
We've all been at that stage, it's only human. Once you get comfortable with your routine, you'll be fine.

Nate

+1, i was the same for the first week or so, it's just a matter of getting used to your routine.

If you feel you're doing something wrong with your routine, stop and ask for advice, you don't want to cause yourself any injures :)

Associate
What are you hoping to get out of it mate?

At the minute I'm just hoping to limit my fat gains, I've put on a few more lbs of fat than I would have liked. This is probably down to my diet at the moment, however, the diet is as good as it can be because I'm at home and can't really regulate what I eat as well as I could at uni because of other peoples choices of food etc. I try and eat as cleanly and as much protein as I can though.

I doubt I'll lose any fat doing this but hopefully I will limit putting too much on. It also gives me something to do on my rest days, because I get bored and feel a bit guilty if I don't do any form of exercise in a day.

Soldato

Rich

For me actually it is providing me with motivation. The gym I joined is a proper bodybuilding place and there were some big dudes around on my first day, at times when I was doing my routine I was thinking I hope they ain't looking me because they will most probably laugh. However when I do look at them it gives me motivation of what I want to become. Well it has so far anyway!

Soldato
Well, just got back from the first visit - was good! I feel really awake!

Have to admit my major anxiety was the showers, as I have never really been in that situation before! Then I realised as I finished:

"Why are you bothered? You've seen a wang, they've seen a wang - they are all doing the same".

Going again on Friday! Really enjoyed it! :D

Rich

Man of Honour
Had a really crap week this week, went out at the weekend for my birthday which meant I spent sunday dying, hit the gym on monday and felt crap managed to pull something in my upper back.
Then tuesday my housemate comes in from work looking terrible bless her and it would appear shes got swine flu and it looks like its slowly creeping up on me so if it hits me hard thats another good week out of the gym plus il get to spend my actual birthday stuck it wolves as I dont really wanna travel home and give it to the family.
:(

Caporegime
Tried out haney shrugs last night, super-setted with front bb shrugs. They definitely work, massive doms in my traps today. Only problem I had was getting them past my perfectly sculpted muscular buttocks (read: fat arse.) :)

Associate
Could anyone give me some advice on my diet please?

I've just based it on what i've read on the internet (including here).
I've been doing this plan for the past month or so and it seems to be pretty manageable, I mix it up a little bit too, for example, for my lunch i'll have tuna / chicken / salmon / turkey but always with pasta, salad and 2x boiled eggs.

I am seeing gains but i don't want to be eating too much and getting a belly :p

My rough gym routine:

Monday
20 Min Cardio
Shoulders
Chest
Triceps

Wednesday
20 Min Cardio
Biceps
Back

Friday
20 Min Cardio
Legs
Abs

My Rough Diet Plan

8:00
Oats - 5g Pro
SS Milk - 10 Pro
Low Fat Yoghurt / Eggs - 10g / 17g
25g - 32g Protein

11:00
150g Cottage Cheese - 17g Pro
17g Protein

12:30
Tin of Tuna - 25g Pro
Pasta - 6g Pro
Salad - 2g Pro
2x Boiled Eggs 17g Pro
67g Pro

15:00
17g Pro

Pre-Workout
Banana - 1g Pro
1kg Pro

Post Workout
Protein Shake - 24.6g Pro
Meal with meat and veg (Usually with fish, chicken or steak) - 40g Pro
64.6g Pro

Total Protein
191.6g - 198.6g

Stats
Height: 6' 3.5"
Weight: 84.5kg

EDIT: I also snack on nuts, lots and lots of nuts, lol, and i usually have at least 2 apples a day too

Last edited:
Associate
erm, i'm not really sure about the calorie count :(

i have been meaning to work it out, i'll let you know once i have :)

edit: oh and i don't always do my cardio before weights, i just mix and match depending on what machines i can get on :)

edit 2: and yea, i try to keep my carbs as low GI as possible and i only eat wholewheat pasta, bread, etc

edit 3 (lol): if you're interested here is what i had for lunch today, i have this pretty much everyday for lunch, just with a different meat / fish

web.jpg

everyone at work can't believe how much food i eat, but i don't think it's that much, and it's certainly much more healthy than what they eat haha

Last edited:

kai

kai

Soldato
I will be doing a fairly hard routine for the next 6 weeks Mon - Wed - Fri concentrating on a strength building approach workout with the aid of;

Maximuscle Promax Extreme
Maximuscle Thermobol
Maximuscle CLA 1000

And a very controlled diet thanks to dailyburn.com, Will i notice significant changes in physical appearance as little as 6 weeks?

Obviously i plan to keep this up but its only 6 weeks till holidays.

Associate
I will be doing a fairly hard routine for the next 6 weeks Mon - Wed - Fri concentrating on a strength building approach workout with the aid of;

Maximuscle Promax Extreme
Maximuscle Thermobol
Maximuscle CLA 1000

And a very controlled diet thanks to dailyburn.com, Will i notice significant changes in physical appearance as little as 6 weeks?

Obviously i plan to keep this up but its only 6 weeks till holidays.

I feel sorry for your wallet :(

On a more serious note, I would think you would see some differences, however, since your going to be performing a strength building routine, these will not be as significant as if you were to use more volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom