Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
So anyway... moving on

I had a good back and bi session yesterday. I started out with 4 pyramided sets of dead lifts which really did take it out of me, felt really good and I was obviously working hard because I'm stiff as a board today.

I'm also working on my chin ups at the moment, as I can only do 3 with proper form. I did 3 sets of 8 just performing the lowering phase over 4 seconds from the top of the motion. Has anyone got any tips for me to advance with this? I was thinking of next week doing as many full reps as I can with proper form and then finish the set with just the lowering phase again.

Soldato
Had my chest session today (legs still hurting from saturday :p) 28kg dumbbell press for a set of 6 then 2 sets of 5, incline press of 22kg for 6-7 reps too :D Improved my intensity in that session on previous weeks and didn't require as many sets.

Associate
Hey guys, I don't usually do this but i after seeing kai's post in the 'bodybuilder's post your pictures thread' i thought i'd tally up my diet on dailyburn and here's what i got:

web.jpg

Would do you guys thing?

It seems fairly balanced in terms of fats, carbs and protein.

I was a little worried about the amount of fat i consume, but most of that comes from the 65g of fat i consumed from nuts yesterday.

Any advice would be great because i'm still a very new to this :)

Cheers,

MonkieMann

dun

dun

Soldato
Hey guys, I don't usually do this but i after seeing kai's post in the 'bodybuilder's post your pictures thread' i thought i'd tally up my diet on dailyburn and here's what i got:

Would do you guys thing?

It seems fairly balanced in terms of fats, carbs and protein.

I was a little worried about the amount of fat i consume, but most of that comes from the 65g of fat i consumed from nuts yesterday.

Any advice would be great because i'm still a very new to this :)

Cheers,

MonkieMann

Looks ok? I'm not sure what we are meant to get from these pie charts and macro nutrient break downs with no information on what type of food its coming from or even what you goals are :p What are you aiming for body wise?

Associate
That's a very good point dun, sorry :)

here's what i ate yesterday:

web.jpg

web.jpg

I couldn't be bothered to add all the veg etc that i had with my tea, but i had spring onions, runner beans, green beans, sweetcorn, tomatos, mushrooms and peppers all stirfried together with the chicken (i probably had a little more than a single chicken breast too)

As for my aims, i want to bulk up as much as possible at the moment. I'm currently 80kg (ish) and i'm 6' 3.5" :)

Cheers,

Luke

Associate
no aims really, I just like to try eat healthy(ish) and train hard....but im 5ft 5 1/2" (wee guy :)) and 79Kg just now. I posted a few pics on the pictures thread, 2nd last page (the other one you have been posting in). Im also near 35 now and not ready to get old and go downhill just yet!

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a bit of a question for you more experienced gym guys, how do you know what are the best weights for yourself to make a difference (as in actually making your body work) and in what time period do you move up the types of weights to heavier ones?

I ask because while I think I have found where I am now I am not sure how long I should stick with those.

Rich

Associate
I have a bit of a question for you more experienced gym guys, how do you know what are the best weights for yourself to make a difference (as in actually making your body work) and in what time period do you move up the types of weights to heavier ones?

I ask because while I think I have found where I am now I am not sure how long I should stick with those.

Rich

Set yourself a rep range..ie. 5, 8, 10, 12 o 15...the higher the reps the less sets really are required. for 15's ...3-4 sets...for 8-10....4 sets....for lower i would do 5 sets...thats basically where you hear 5x5 coming from sometimes.
From what ive read....lower than 6-7 reps is mainly for building stength. 8-12 reps is best fro building size...and above that...erm...Im not sure. I sometimes do lower weights and go for max reps...ie. 15 or so to exhaust the muscles you are working on... it feels good!
So..to anser your question..if you choose 10 reps per set....you may want to try and complete at least three sets of 10 before you fail on the last set before you move the weight up. Id say if you can do 4 sets of the weight then its time to push it up a bit so that you manage the first two sets....struggle on the 3rd...and fail on the 4th. Hope that helps a bit.

Soldato
Hey chaps, long time no read on this thread! Been going well for me, I seemed to drop weight over 3-4 months from the start of this year from 80kg down to 72kg, mostly fat, from weight training on a plan (a PLAN is a MUST!), now going slowly up :D But not as flabby as before, so I feel it now, and doing a lot of squats, clean and jerks, deadlifts, bench, the usual!

Question I wanted to ask was I'm training to race a 5k in september, so I'm running 3 times a week, on different days from weight training (so exercise 6 times a week). Is this detrimental? Should I maybe hold off weights for a little?

I feel fine, a little tired, but a bit worried my calfs are sore when its running day today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom