Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PAz

PAz

Soldato
He was a pretty decent at Karate (black belt iirc), not sure how he would fair in MMA though.

Certainly would be interesting. Give Soszynski some competition for Polish no 1 :)

Caporegime
Well, I've given up on dead lifting, squatting and benching. I found the fastest, easiest and most effective way to get buff! No more 90mins in the gym for 4 days a week! I'm seriously:

http://www.todaysbigthing.com/2009/07/29

Just 6 minutes a day man!!!

HAHAHA, love it, i've got something that they can use, it also provides a protein shake at the end of the workout!

Soldato
after reading the GordyR sticky and some threads on bodybuilding.com i will be signing up to the gym tomorrow, i will be doing the Rippetoes beginners program as detailed on http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

i have 1 question tho, how much progress (if i keep strictly to that program and diet) will i make by Christmas? I have never done weightlifting and stopped doing sports regularly when i was 16 so im working from a very low base (not much muscle, beer belly etc..)

I wont post pics yet but i have taken them today and plan to take them every 2 months for the next year so i can see the progress but just want to get an idea of what i may expect in 5ish months

Soldato
Well i dont know what a realistic goal would be, at the moment i am 6'5 and 16 stone with very little muscle. In a year i would be happy to be a stone or 2 lighter but with a lot more muscle mass.

Associate
Guys I'm looking for a bit of advice on 2 totally different things.

Firstly, I was wondering what the ideal amount of protein to have in one session would be? I usually take about 20 grams of protein (30 grams of powder) after a workout, however, I was wondering, if I were to up that to 40 grams of actual protein would this aid me in any way or just waist money?

Secondly, I am working on improving my chin up/pull up ability at the moment and was thinking of working on these twice a week, would this be too little a period of time to recover. Or would this be beneficial to building strength in this exercise?

Cheers

Soldato

Firstly, I was wondering what the ideal amount of protein to have in one session would be? I usually take about 20 grams of protein (30 grams of powder) after a workout, however, I was wondering, if I were to up that to 40 grams of actual protein would this aid me in any way or just waist money?

Secondly, I am working on improving my chin up/pull up ability at the moment and was thinking of working on these twice a week, would this be too little a period of time to recover. Or would this be beneficial to building strength in this exercise?

Cheers

i do fullbody workout with either 1 or 2 day rest and so do pullups and bentOverRows 3 times a week and my lats have really come on after switching to full body after 3 years of a split routines.

Soldato

Cheers
1) The question is how much protein your taking daily. Once you've got the answer to that you can workout whether or not it's beneficial. I certainly won't do harsh consuming an extra 20g.

2) Hell no! Doing them twice a week won't hinder on recovery. Pull ups are extremely beneficial and they boosted my strength big time!

Absolute monster. Doesn't Khan own a gym in Sheffield?

He does indeed. He isn't the chirpiest of blokes.

Associate
Awesome, thanks Dark shadow :)

Edit: For some reason my heads not on right today, didn't see the bit of your post where you replied to my protein question Dark shadow.

This more applies to in about a months time when I'm back to uni and can control my diet better, I'll be aiming to eat around 180 to 200 g of protein a day, coming mainly from whole foods like chicken, tuna, beans, pulses and steak for the odd treat. The reason I ask about the protein shake is because I was thinking of having 2 50 gram servings a day which would contribute 80g of protein to my daily intake. I would prefer to get this from whole foods but I will be on a weekly budget of 50 quid :(. Thus my question as this would give me 80g of protein a day for just £1.

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm in the exact same boat Jonny!

It's my final year at University and I don't intend on getting a part time job for this year. So, I too am on a limited budget.

The shakes will come in handy for the irregular days.

It's extremely difficult to stick with a structured diet. The best way to keep on top of stuff is to plan ahead. If you feel you'll miss that meal or you're going out, prepare in advance.

£50 per week is more than adequate! (Assuming it's for food and not booze :p). Just ensure you don't eat out or in the canteen often.

http://stronglifts.com/build-muscle-on-a-budget-the-10-cheapest-sources-of-protein/

Associate
Cheers for the advice :)

The 50 quid is mainly for food (gym fees will be in there somewhere but are relatively cheap), I don't drink anymore as I got this out of the way in my first year. So now I'm hoping to focus hard on my course and the gym.

One thing that I am most worried about is that if I have a big shake like I am intending, will I realistically be able to use that much protein in a serving or would I be better splitting it down into 3 normal sized shakes throughout the day? I was intending on having 1 in the morning with breakfast and 1 after my gym session in the afternoon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom