Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Have any of you guys tried 100s as a variation from 3x8 or 5x5?

Basically do everything for 100 reps at a much lower weight, eg 5 sets of 20 or 4 sets of 25.

Did 100x100kg on leg press the other day, it really pushes you past your normal limits and I could hardly walk afterwards.

Associate

Basically do everything for 100 reps at a much lower weight, eg 5 sets of 20 or 4 sets of 25.

Did 100x100kg on leg press the other day, it really pushes you past your normal limits and I could hardly walk afterwards.

Nope...do you recon it did you any good.
Ive done 10x10 and 8x10 a couple of times just for the hell of it. I used to train 5x15's and loved it. That gives a burn and a bit. Would also give you the same reps as 100...but volume would be a lot more due to the rest beween sets and increased weight. Would be hard to predict your 100rep max though for most lifts.....and I wouldnt be trying very often:D

Caporegime
Dunno, it certainly aches for a lot longer than it usually does.

A mate has been doing it a while and he's seen muscle volume growth.

Soldato
I achieved a milestone yesterday. 120KG for 5x5 on squats :D

Total: 3 Tonnes. It's not even close to some guys here but I'm really pleased as it's the most I've squatted in one session.

On the flipside, I failed OHP and Bench press which I'm not too pleased with :(

Associate

Doing something similar is how I injured my knee (well sort of). I found that by lowering the weight so much you speed up execution at the detriment of form.

Soldato
With powercleans it's best to keep the reps lower, but the form strict and the weights lower too.

Form / technique is 90% of the lift in powercleans, hence why you get tiiiiny women lifting double to triple their bodyweight - it's down to power, timing and technique.

However, those are powerlifting "cleans" - power cleans rely less on a deep bend in the knee to catch the bar and front squat it up and rely on explosive take off from the floor, and strong flexing of the traps and shoulder to rotate the bar as it becomes stationary, and a slight bend at the same time to grab the bar to push it up the last foot.

I tend to do a maximum of 6 reps no matter what the weight is and concentrate on absolute form. If I'm going for PBs my clean technique aims towards a powerclean rather than a clean - i.e. use raw strength.

However I tend to hit around 5 sets min as I get a good burn from that amount.

Typically I start off with:

60x6
70x6
80x6
90x4~6
100x2~4
Then either attempt more 100s, or go up to 105-110 etc....
I may do a dropset back to 60 with exact form.

Form is more important than weight on this exercise - if you do it properly even 40kg will feel like you've been massaged by an elephant.

Lol:p your power cleans are my standing military press but up to 110-120 kilos, I don't like taking it straight off the rack for over head pressing. The idea being if I cant power clean it up, there is no way I'm going to raise it above my head.

Am I the only person here that exercises the neck :-/?

Soldato
Well done mate. 5x5 certainly helps strength gains in my experience (but totally messed me up for a few weeks when I went back to higher volume) :p
Cheers fella.

Is that gym outside? If so that's amazing :D
No? lol :p

This guy trains in the same gym:

6eee8a24.jpg

Clearly got nothing on me :D

Man of Honour
OP
Lol:p your power cleans are my standing military press but up to 110-120 kilos, I don't like taking it straight off the rack for over head pressing. The idea being if I cant power clean it up, there is no way I'm going to raise it above my head.

Am I the only person here that exercises the neck :-/?

Well you're just a beast. I can powerclean 100 fairly well - but no way could I shoulder press that! Well maybe a very sketchy power press :p

I don't train my neck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom