Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Jonny L....I wouldnt take less than 30g in a main helping (main meal or whatever). a 30g of protein shake isnt that much. I take at least 4 scoops a day of MP whey blend...so thats about 80g protein already. Add 250g chicken fillet (or steak mince), 1 tin tuna...100g nuts (or equivelent peanut butter) and your already passing 180g's of protein. Drink some full fat milk...eat some porridege oats for breakfast...and say 50-100g cheddar cheese..or 150g cottage cheese and your away! My protein base lately has been the following....

Breakfast...oats and 1 scoop whey 25-30g(2 scoops if i have been training night before 45-50g)

Mid morning....3-4 boiled eggs if at work or omlete if at home. 20g min

Lunch...tin of tuna if at work or 150g of chicken breast. 30g min

Afternoon..fruit and 50-100g nuts...or 3-4 scoops peanut butter. 15-20g

After workout...1 scoop whey 20g

1hr ish after workout....250g minimum chicken fillet/ steak/ or lean steak mince 50g

Mid evening 50g nuts...if only 50g in afternoon. Cottage cheese, oatcakes or yougurt. 20-25g

Pre bed...2 scoops whey. 40g

there's also protein in other things such as full fat milk, wholemeal bread, oats etc. thats I dont even count.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Last edited:
Associate
Jonny L....I wouldnt take less than 30g in a main helping (main meal or whatever). a 30g of protein shake isnt that much. I take at least 4 scoops a day of MP whey blend...so thats about 80g protein already. Add 250g chicken fillet (or steak mince), 1 tin tuna...100g nuts (or equivelent peanut butter) and your already passing 180g's of protein. Drink some full fat milk...eat some porridege oats for breakfast...and say 50-100g cheddar cheese..or 150g cottage cheese and your away! My protein base lately has been the following....

Breakfast...oats and 1 scoop whey 25-30g(2 scoops if i have been training night before 45-50g)

Mid morning....3-4 boiled eggs if at work or omlete if at home. 20g min

Lunch...tin of tuna if at work or 150g of chicken breast. 30g min

Afternoon..fruit and 50-100g nuts...or 3-4 scoops peanut butter. 15-20g

After workout...1 scoop whey 20g

1hr ish after workout....250g minimum chicken fillet/ steak/ or lean steak mince 50g

Mid evening 50g nuts...if only 50g in afternoon. Cottage cheese, oatcakes or yougurt. 20-25g

Pre bed...2 scoops whey. 40g

there's also protein in other things such as full fat milk, wholemeal bread, oats etc. thats I dont even count.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Cool, thanks for the breakdown toxic, I'll stick with 2 big shakes a day then. I'm glad to see that my two main choices for whole proteins (chicken and tuna) are what some of you bigger guys eat as well :). I just want to maximise my potential for gains whilst making sure I don't waste money haha.

Associate
Yep...chicken, tuna,...also Morrisons lean steak mince is good I think. 20g protein per 100g...with only 4g of saturated fats.... They were doing 800g packs x 3 for £10!....I bought a heap..LOL. Some decent steak once a week or so if its within budget.

Associate
Yep...chicken, tuna,...also Morrisons lean steak mince is good I think. 20g protein per 100g...with only 4g of saturated fats.... They were doing 800g packs x 3 for £10!....I bought a heap..LOL. Some decent steak once a week or so if its within budget.

Ah nice one, I shop at morrisons when at uni, I tend to find they have some really good stuff for competative prices and a lot of their own brand items (especially the baked beans) I prefer to the major brands.

Thanks for the tips toxic :)

Soldato
Toxic - My dad just come in and I was reading this thread he saw your sig and said "oh yeah, what you checking out?" ;) - Old folks . . /sigh :D

I hit 125KG for 5x5 squat today. Words cannot describe how difficult I found it. I found myself almost failing on about 3 sets but I somehow found that extra ounce of umph to make it :eek:

Man of Honour
OP
Roast a whole chicken - it'll last you a couple of days and at £6-£7 for a decent size and quality bird it's a lot of bang per buck too in terms of protein. Albeit I devour almost an entire chicken in 1 sitting, but if you're sensible you can spread it over 2 days, so that's £3-£5 max for 2 days worth of very high quality animal protein, and it's delicious because you've cooked it yourself. :)

Associate
Roast a whole chicken - it'll last you a couple of days and at £6-£7 for a decent size and quality bird it's a lot of bang per buck too in terms of protein. Albeit I devour almost an entire chicken in 1 sitting, but if you're sensible you can spread it over 2 days, so that's £3-£5 max for 2 days worth of very high quality animal protein, and it's delicious because you've cooked it yourself. :)

Thats a brilliant tip, thanks FF, I quite like cooking these days, it's always more satisfying and I know that it would be quality chicken as well. And if it sets me on the way to being a beast like you it can't be bad :D

More pearls of wisdom please guys :)

Soldato

lol At least I'm not the only one. Some people are genuinely shocked when they see me eat almost a whole roast chicken in one main meal and finish it off with a sandwich later on

Man of Honour
OP
It's great though, it lasts a few days. I had 2/3rds of the chicken for dinner, then made 3 huge wholemeal pitta bread sandwiches as part of my lunch the next day, and just had enough for one more pitta bread sandwich today. I big slice of chicken weighs about 10x more than the "pre sliced" chicken you get in the shops, plus you've roasted it yourself and ergo it's going to be tastier ;)

The other tip is just to over cook the night before - if you're going to cook, make too much, and you have your lunch sorted for the next day. :)

Alternatively if you're very dedicated make a vat of chilli or beef or lamb or whatever you want on a sunday and just freeze it for servings during the week. :)

Associate
I just had a really rubbish weights session. Couldn't get the right feel today and form was all over the place no matter how low I set the weight :(.

Getting a bit tedious working out alone now. I'm really looking forward to uni so I can get in the gym with some mates and sort my diet out properly.

Permabanned
I just had a really rubbish weights session. Couldn't get the right feel today and form was all over the place no matter how low I set the weight :(.

Getting a bit tedious working out alone now. I'm really looking forward to uni so I can get in the gym with some mates and sort my diet out properly.

I feel for you m8, i think my progression is slowed as i have no one to train with very difficult to be motivated to hit new weights, but i have the double dilemma of people being too intimidated to train with me i mean i got my girlfriends brother over for a session and he thought he'd keep up but only managed a bench of 60x5 with shaky form and i lump on 120 for a fairly easy (looking) 7 reps and he just couldnt be bothered after that. Most bigger guys ive met are idiots and i wouldnt wanna train with them

GAC

GAC

Soldato
same here for me as far as having no one to train with, the joys of living in the boonies. god knows how il try and do personal bests and 1 rep max's when i get back to the gym full time. (course il pester who i can to spot but generaly its been empty when iv hit it)

Associate
It does suck big time, attempting the bigger weights is deffinitely dawnting when your on your own too. I tend to leave the collars off so if I get stuck I can slide the weights off lol.

@ U_E I think for some people if they can't win they tend to give up. I've never really won anything lol so I tend to just do my best whatever. I would love the chance to train with some one bigger/more experienced than me, it would be really reasurring and also help get me motivated.

Permabanned
It does suck big time, attempting the bigger weights is deffinitely dawnting when your on your own too. I tend to leave the collars off so if I get stuck I can slide the weights off lol.

@ U_E I think for some people if they can't win they tend to give up. I've never really won anything lol so I tend to just do my best whatever. I would love the chance to train with some one bigger/more experienced than me, it would be really reasurring and also help get me motivated.

Yeah i need to find someone like that really maybe someone younger than me, most of the normal/untrained guys i know just seem to resent me bieng big and probably secretly think its all show and that they could take me easily lol other guys like you say only want to compete if they can win. Need to find someone to maybe use as a protege, ill teach them the ins and outs of lifting and they can help keep me motivated too, jesus its like looking for a date! Us lot are so semi-gay aren't we lol

Associate
Yeah i need to find someone like that really maybe someone younger than me, most of the normal/untrained guys i know just seem to resent me bieng big and probably secretly think its all show and that they could take me easily lol other guys like you say only want to compete if they can win. Need to find someone to maybe use as a protege, ill teach them the ins and outs of lifting and they can help keep me motivated too, jesus its like looking for a date! Us lot are so semi-gay aren't we lol

Haha, wish someone would take me under their wing (in a extremely non homo way). I waisted months doing the wrong sort of thing and although I have a better feel for it now (most of the time) it would be great to have someone who has been there and done it.

Like you say, the problem is finding someone, I would talk to a personal trainer but I don't think many of them could really offer the real world experience of most big guys.

Man of Honour
OP
I train by myself, I get better motivation that way - I train high volume and intensity and I can't be dealing with waiting for sets, re-racks, etc...

Though I offer a LOT of advice in the gym and tell people off for doing things wrong.

Jonny - move down here, I'd get you into shape! :D

Associate
I train by myself, I get better motivation that way - I train high volume and intensity and I can't be dealing with waiting for sets, re-racks, etc...

Though I offer a LOT of advice in the gym and tell people off for doing things wrong.

Jonny - move down here, I'd get you into shape! :D

Haha, would love to mate, would be amazingly helpful.

What I need for when I go back to uni is to find that you have a clone in Lincoln who can help me :D.

Soldato
Almost died on the way back from boxing today.

Was so exhausted that I made a bad decision trying to cross the road on my bike, had to slam on both breaks, but because my back ones are much more worn down than the fronts, the back of the bike lifted up and I face-planted over the handle bars.

Miraculously I was pretty much unharmed apart from bruises, but I had to scramble to get myself and my bike out of the way of on-coming traffic.

To make matters even worse an extremely pretty girl was right infront of me watching, and a mother with two children was close enough to hear me scream ****! as I went over the front. Also there was some lads in a couple of cars that cheered.

I've never been so embarrassed in my life, thankfully the adrenaline made me grin like a mad man and I felt pretty much fine until I got home and calmed down and realised how close I'd come to a proper accident. I need to wait a bit longer at the gym before I head home after sessions I think, to cool off.

Soldato
Sounds like a true /facepalm moment! :eek:

Glad to hear you didn't faceplant into the floor and you've walked away wiser.

Boxing workouts are brutal. I did it for years and I intend to go back after Uni.

How long have you been boxing for? You training to fight?

Soldato
I have been reading the bits about nutrition and thought I would ask a few questions.

1) I weigh 63-64KG and am a relatively skinny guy, and I am 5' 8" do I need to eat that much protein as some of the other guys? I surely would not do myself any good if I eat as much as a guy that weighs more and is taller than me.

2) Also, is it better to eat pre, or post a workout? I understand you need fuel before you go - but for protein-wise is it best to have it after or before?

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom