Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Well Friday is normally shoulders day anyway so I thought the best time to start would be while I'm all g'd up. So I did the hang cleans push press, bb shoulder press and upright rows. Didn't want to do too many different things as I took my time to make sure I had the form right on the hang cleans. I kept the weight below average at first (was practicing them for about 10 mins before doing some proper sets). Then I upped the weight to match the reps and I was really feeling it. I kept form strict, no cheating just a good clean power upwards and then a slow descent to rest.

Really enjoyed that workout, I have always prefered the compound movements but felt I should keep doing the iso's incase I got a big trunk with small arms. But that fear put a side I feel like I could really get stuck into this routine. I'll try this for a couple of months and see how I get on.

I have to agree with you Dun, and I don't think I'll be trying to lift as vigorously as the guy in the video for a long time. I've always had clicky joints and little niggles growing up, they're mostly gone now thanks to the weights and omega 3 caps though :).

PAz

PAz

Soldato
Did split jerk with 100kg yesterday for 2x1 yday.

Better get more than 7 reps with the kegs next time :mad:

Oddjob is over at my place this weekend, squatting 2mo :D

Man of Honour
OP
Jonny please don't jump straight into olympic lifts with anything like that form or you will most likely be out of the gym for a fair while :| I've never been a fan of them for bodybuilding, its very rare to see a pro or top amateur doing them ( I don't think I ever have), so why bother?
I wouldn't be overly hasty in dropping all isolation movements either personally, the shape of the muscle you are growing is equally if not more important in a competitive sense than just size :)
Great to see the dedication though, one thing you can't learn :p

I disagree. I think iso's aren't that necessary unless you're really keen on competing or training for something specific (i.e. physio therapy or atrophy etc...).

Olympic lifts are a HUGE benefit to strength development, and IMO in conjuction with a good lifting regime can accelerate hypertrophy as well as flexibility, strength and stability muscle groups.

By themselves I agree they are not as handy but as an overall and mutual exercise they are hugely beneficial.

IT's got me to where I am now - I think it's pretty clear that it achieves good results. :)

dun

dun

Soldato
I disagree. I think iso's aren't that necessary unless you're really keen on competing or training for something specific (i.e. physio therapy or atrophy etc...).

Olympic lifts are a HUGE benefit to strength development, and IMO in conjuction with a good lifting regime can accelerate hypertrophy as well as flexibility, strength and stability muscle groups.

By themselves I agree they are not as handy but as an overall and mutual exercise they are hugely beneficial.

IT's got me to where I am now - I think it's pretty clear that it achieves good results. :)

Don't put yourself down mate, random exercises or types of training haven't built your physique, years of hard work has. Do you really think if you has trained without Olympic lifts you wouldn't have progressed? I highly doubt it :)
You are right about strength and developing technique but like I said I was talking from a purely bodybuilding point of view.

Man of Honour
OP
Don't put yourself down mate, random exercises or types of training haven't built your physique, years of hard work has. Do you really think if you has trained without Olympic lifts you wouldn't have progressed? I highly doubt it :)
You are right about strength and developing technique but like I said I was talking from a purely bodybuilding point of view.

hehe thanks, I think you misunderstood, bodybuilding is only a side effect of what I enjoy about the gym (a good one and one I enjoy!) but for me it's about strength, endurance and power, size comes as a nice side effect result too. A lot of my training is based around a mix of powerlifting, olympic lifts and straight forward hypertrophic bodybuilding but IMO powerlifts and olympic lifts add SO much to your development.

Personally I think it's important, nothing worse than seeing the all show no go type of bodybuilders - the ones that do it purely for the looks, and do high volume with no strength development, seems like a waste of time to me.

dun

dun

Soldato
Heh for me its all about the bodybuilding, working on breaking down the muscle regardless of the weight. That's the great thing with training, there are soo many different avenues to go down.

On the last point IMO it doesn't matter at all. I was watching Ed Nunns latest video yesterday- http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/content/view/2251/247/ @ 4:15 he starts training. There is a "weak" bodybuilder for his size- but look at him and tell me it matters :p

Associate
I think weight lifting for me is as much about the strength gains as mass gains and vice versa, the way I look at it I will be doing this for years and years to come otherwise there would be no point in even starting. Over that time I will inevitably gain size and strength and I am not worried about getting huge quick and then working on strength later, equally I'm not worried about being the strongest pound for pound and then working on size later. I feel a happy medium is good for me. I have a lifetime to develop so I may aswell have some good functional strength and some good gains at the same time and increase these as I go. I am in no rush, the most important thing to me is that I do things the right way and earn the gains.

Everyone has a goal and training must be tailored to suit them as such. Many people use weight lifting to train for a sport or to gain size in order to compete etc, I just do it because I don't think I've ever enjoyed any sport as much as this, and it is a good healthy way to spend my time :).

Man of Honour
OP
Pretty much most bodybuilders are stronger than the average person and the rest, however it's not that functional and designed purely for looks - I don't mind looking muscular, but I know it's functional rather than just for looks. I don't do it for looks, that's why I'm not interested in getting super cut, or vascular etc... I know I could do it and look immense, but I'm just not interested in it. :)

That aside, I still believe big compound lifts and olympic exercises are a vital part of the lifestyle and discipline.

Permabanned
Pretty much most bodybuilders are stronger than the average person and the rest, however it's not that functional and designed purely for looks - I don't mind looking muscular, but I know it's functional rather than just for looks. I don't do it for looks, that's why I'm not interested in getting super cut, or vascular etc... I know I could do it and look immense, but I'm just not interested in it. :)

That aside, I still believe big compound lifts and olympic exercises are a vital part of the lifestyle and discipline.

I agree wholeheartedly, powerlifting connects the mind to the muscles incredibly well, with the side benefit of increasing stability and confidence with large weights. Someone training shoulders for example will quickly plateau with barbell shoulder presses as the weight of the bar becomes uncomfortable at maximum loads due to a lack of both supporting musculature and mental confidence handling the weight. As soon as that same person has spent a month or two literally chucking the weight around with something like powercleans they'll be breaking personal bests in no time.

There are so many factors to consider when it comes to surpassing personal bests, willpower alone will only take you so far. Granted you wont likely see many top pro's doing any olympic lifts since the risk of injury is high and for them that is very important. But breaking personal bests and lifting heavier loads comes a LOT easier when youve got half a pharmacy in your cupboard. Developing a strong mind muscle connection for these guys has already occured years ago in their careers. It then becomes all about hypertrophy and nutrition and little else.

Associate
I don't know if a question like this has already been asked, but - should I do a day dedicated to the upper half of my body or do different muscles eg; Chest/Shoulders
/nextday Bicep/Tripcep /nextday Entire lowerbody; legs.

Associate
I've got a running question.

Every night for the past 4 nights and then tonight i've been out on a 2 mile run.

Now i've been eating the complex carbs and that straight when i get back but the thing is, i go for my runs from about 10pm-11:30pm ish.

I know eating after the run is good for you, but is eating this late good for me ?

Associate

Every night for the past 4 nights and then tonight i've been out on a 2 mile run.

Now i've been eating the complex carbs and that straight when i get back but the thing is, i go for my runs from about 10pm-11:30pm ish.

I know eating after the run is good for you, but is eating this late good for me ?

Its OK...but if you trying to loose fat or weight is probably not the best thing to do.

Soldato

I normally have protein before bed anyway, so if I come home late from the gym or running (possibly 10pm) I just have a shake as for me its normal.

Soldato

Well I'm not so sure, so much conflicting scientific reports on this one.

Some reports/studies suggest that eating late is bad for you. Some say that it makes no difference when you eat because your body works for a day.

If you are hungry then eat, I am going to imagine it would be far better for you than to go to bed hungry. Remember that your body repairs itself while you sleep, I don't know if it can do that if it's starving :p

Permabanned

Why is eating after a run 'good for you'? Thats no way to aproach exercise using such a blanket statment. Bodybuilders eat after a workout in order to promote and fuel muscle repair and thus muscle growth. Runners are often looking more at weight loss rather than muscle growth (as you are unlikely to grow significant muscle through jogging type low intensity running).

Thus it depends on your goals. If you are training to improve times and fitness and not concerned with weight then a healthy carb protein combo will help after exercise whatever time it is. If you are after weight loss then either nothing of a very low cal protein shake type option would be best. And if your after muscle growth, stop bloody running! It eats muscle!

Soldato
Guys, not sure if I'm allowed to do this but I'm sure FF or another mod will remove if necessary.

I'm having a bit of a clearout and I've got a mostly untouched (much less than 1kg missing) from a big tub of unflavoured 80% whey protein from MYProtein.co.uk that someone can have for FREE if they want it.

If I remember rightly the date on it is OCT 2008 so it is out of date, but as it's in a sealed tub and only been opened a handful of times, I'm sure it'll be fine. Collection from Nottingham only.

Anyway, really happy with how my training is going at the moment. I've hit a PB of 60kg on bench press in the last week or so and my other lifts are slowly but surely progressing.

The footy season has started again now and it's kind of messing with my gym routine a bit, I don't want to do a legs day anywhere near 2 days before a match or pre-season training so I have to work around that by either doing 2 of chest + tri's or back + bi's in week instead of the usual 3 day split. If I know that I'll have a game (e.g. Sat), I'd do legs on a Monday, but due to the nature of pre-season friendlies they spring up during the week too.

I'm looking to 'leave home' and move in with the g/f before Xmas too, so I'll finally be able to plan my own meals properly without interference! They are in to the traditional 3 square meals a day, whereas I'd rather have 6 small ones. The good thing is my Mrs is really in to the gym too so our meals will pretty much be gym orientated :)

Caporegime
The footy season has started again now and it's kind of messing with my gym routine a bit, I don't want to do a legs day anywhere near 2 days before a match or pre-season training so I have to work around that by either doing 2 of chest + tri's or back + bi's in week instead of the usual 3 day split. If I know that I'll have a game (e.g. Sat), I'd do legs on a Monday, but due to the nature of pre-season friendlies they spring up during the week too.

This is my issue too, no bother though as my legs aren't too bad anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom