Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Managed to knock another 44 seconds of my 10KM row time :) bringing it to 41 minutes 16 seconds @ level 10 resistance. 4 pauses for water 2.5, 5, 7 and 9km in. Hoped to break the 41 minute but I think yesterdays row took it out of me!

Also lost my rhythm and technique completely for about 4 minutes :rolleyes: hands are paying the price though!
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t288/bennyc06i/IMG_0464.jpg

It's strange, I'm not finding it particulary difficult and my legs just keep on giving and giving. I've gone balls to the wall for the last KM but other than that its not been too challenging.

I had a quick google but couldn't find anything about the mens singles 10KM world record. Not that I'm aiming or will ever be able to get anywhere near it but wouldn't mind knowing what it is if anybody knows?!

Last edited:

dun

dun

Soldato
Each to there own, defiantly not my opinion!

What?? Don't be daft thats impressive by any standards. Some people have a really wonky opinion on steroids here :/ 750lbs deads for 10 reps not impressive if you are on the sauce? *mind melts*

Of course you are entitled to your opinion mate and I honestly love hearing it, but IMO that is VERY impressive regardless of your test levels :)

Soldato
I think I'm going to change my program a bit and work on muscular endurance (10-12 rep range) rather than mainly strength/hypertrophy (6-8), if I'm doing deadlifts though should I stick to the low reps? I tend to do 5x6-8, but going to change this to 4x10-12

dun

dun

Soldato
Has your current program stalled? Some people will say keep to a lower rep range on the compounds and just mix up the other exercises (so would I). Or you might want to try totally mixing it up with pyramids etc.

Soldato
Has your current program stalled? Some people will say keep to a lower rep range on the compounds and just mix up the other exercises (so would I). Or you might want to try totally mixing it up with pyramids etc.
My current program hasn't stalled, though I feel like a bit of a change (should I stick with my current program?). I might try just doing lower rep ranges then for compounds and higher for other exercises. I did try pyramiding yesterday and it kinda failed due to endurance;
I hoped for
12x24, 10x26, 8x 28, 6x30 for dumbbell press and I got;
12x24 (was knacked after this first set :eek:), 9x26, 6x28 then I went down to 6x26

Soldato
If your current program is working well why change?
Don't worry about being knackered when switching to higher reps, you will get used to it.

I suppose I'll keep going with it, the main reason to change would be the dumbbells aren't going to be heavy enough soon for benching, although that will be rectified in 2 weeks anyway when I change gym to glasgow uni.

Might be worth looking at your rep tempo depending on what you're trying to achieve.
Is this the time spent on pushing/pressing then the negative? I tend to do quite slow negatives but I've never really measured it. I'm looking to increase in size/lean bulk and a fair increase in strength. (I might keep going in the 6-8 rep range till I can bench 90kg for 6 reps)

That is one good deadlift there (and the guy looks good too :o).

Caporegime
280lbs and his abs are rockin, beast. That ones even better than the last imo.
To be fair to Poundstone he's a strongman so doesn't have to lift as strictly as KK who's a powerlfiter. It's basically just a case of getting the weight off the floor and locking out at the top. What happens in between each rep is irrelevant which is why he's all over the place.

Man of Honour
Managed to DB Press 30kg(x2) today for 3 sets of 8, been on 27.5 for a while, but finally went for it today and managed it. Last few reps in the last set were a challenge

Soldato
Is this the time spent on pushing/pressing then the negative? I tend to do quite slow negatives but I've never really measured it. I'm looking to increase in size/lean bulk and a fair increase in strength. (I might keep going in the 6-8 rep range till I can bench 90kg for 6 reps)

Yup.

I know myself and Freefaller have been promoting very slow negatives but for a very good reason. They're absolutley killer! If you're after mass but also strength it might be a good idea to use two programs in alternation one for strength and one for mass? Yes there are programs that combine the two but if you're going to do something do it properly!

I'm no expert but try maybe 3/4 sets of 8-10 reps with 4second negatives for your mass program and then once you've done say 6/8 weeks of this follow it up with a 5x5 program focusing purely on power/strength (so same speed ecentric&concentric)

Even if you don't put on as much mass as you'd hoped from such slow negatives its a very humbling and good experience in regards to leaving your ego at the door and focusing on perfect form.

dun

dun

Soldato
To be fair to Poundstone he's a strongman so doesn't have to lift as strictly as KK who's a powerlfiter. It's basically just a case of getting the weight off the floor and locking out at the top. What happens in between each rep is irrelevant which is why he's all over the place.
That might explain it. Both very impressive though.

Congrats Steedie, feels great doesn't it.

While we're linking crazy stuff-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom