Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I haven't' been doing that much DL since doing this AGVT - but I certainly want to try and hit 250 by the end of the year... do you reckon I'll achieve it?

I don't see why not. My stiff leg good mornings are at 100 kilos 5x 5-10 at the moment without a belt, so I should be able to give my PB a bash.;)

Soldato
Benny I don't know what I would do if I were you as I am coming from being tiny not high bf.

My bodyfat isn't high! :p

Freefaller/Dun - I assume you've both seen recent progress shots of me in the picture thread, what would you estimate my bodyfat to be around? 14/15%. I have no clue!

dun

dun

Soldato
My bodyfat isn't high! :p

Freefaller/Dun - I assume you've both seen recent progress shots of me in the picture thread, what would you estimate my bodyfat to be around? 14/15%. I have no clue!

No mate I meant from when younger- "but would quite like to loose the abdominal 'excess' from my obese childhood."

I never guess BF% mate, not even my own never mind from some random pics, its always just that, a guess.

Soldato
No mate I meant from when younger- "but would quite like to loose the abdominal 'excess' from my obese childhood."

I never guess BF% mate, not even my own never mind from some random pics, its always just that, a guess.

I use the term excess loosely. Makes it sound like I need an operation to remove lbs worth of skin! Its enough to hide my lower abs.

Fair enough, should probaly look into getting it measured properly.

Soldato
Starting a bit of a weight loss cycle this week, should go on for a 4-6 weeks. I'm at 73Kgs at the moment and I want to be sitting at around 68Kgs when I finished. I'll be focusing on dropping what small amount of fat I have left while trying to keep as much of my physical condition as I can. Lots of running, lots of balls to the wall sprints, lots of cycling. Although my diet was mainly meat, fish and veg anyway, I will be cutting out the last bits of carbs such as porridge for the duration, although I will be allowing myself large doses of natural sugars from fruit and yogurt before boxing sessions as I can't afford to be tired for them. I'll be adding in some weighted circuit training to keep my strength levels from dropping too much (hopefully).

If at the end of 6 weeks I haven't dropped enough or I think I've lost too much strength and stamina I will be giving up on Welterweight and going for Middleweight which will give me the 69-75Kgs weight range to play with. We shall see how it goes. The plan is to then get used to the lower weight as much as possible before my first fight which will be somewhere at the end of October.

dun

dun

Soldato
Do you think with your current level of conditioning it would be unrealistic to aim for 74kg in a couple of months? I have no idea when it comes to boxing but I remember you being quite lean as it is? Dropping 5kg while possible would undoubtedly lower your strength/ power which can't be good.

Caporegime
Do you think with your current level of conditioning it would be unrealistic to aim for 74kg in a couple of months? I have no idea when it comes to boxing but I remember you being quite lean as it is? Dropping 5kg while possible would undoubtedly lower your strength/ power which can't be good.

But on the other hand it will allow him to throw more punches for longer, which is what most boxing seems to be about these days, especially at middleweight. People can get beaten and beaten and never go down meaning you have to chuck as many punches as possible. Of course power is still important though and it's possible to lose mass whilst increasing strength.

Caporegime
Neither do I and this is pure conjecture, but surely when there's less weight to throw around you can do it for longer? Being scrawny should increase your stamina e.g. long distance runners vs. sprinters.

dun

dun

Soldato
I can see where you are coming from but in this case its like saying if the sprinter lost a lot of weight (Makunouchi) is already lean so not that much fat is going to come off readily) he would be a better long distance runner? Anyway we'll wait for someone who knows a little about boxing to answer :p

Soldato
Yeah to be honest the reason I'm aiming for Welterweight is exactly that, I'd rather play the skill side of it than move to the heavier classes where strength and power play a larger role. It's not that I'm afraid of getting hit hard, I just think I can do better with my speed and long reach in the lower weight class.

I think I could easily go up to 74Kgs, and probably increase my strength a lot to go with it, I'm already putting enough work in, it would just be a case of eating more of the same.

Edit: didn't see a bunch of replies. Dropping weight wouldn't do any favors to my punching ability no, dropping the weight will be a balancing act between getting down on the scales and keeping as much of my speed, power and stamina as possible, I've no idea how well it will go as I've not tried anything like this before.

Soldato
Super quick question... what kinda weights do the mens health etc models lift? How much do they weigh? Just trying to gauge a comparison.

Surely they are all different?
Also a lot of the images have a huge amount of post processing (airbrushing etc) done to them so impossible to tell really if the only source you have is a picture in a magazine

Soldato
Well I did the circuit training session I'd planned to use for the next few weeks this afternoon, it was pretty tough but it went well.

I did 8 sets of the following, with a 5 minute break after the 4th set, the rest was done non-stop:

8X Wide grip pull-ups
20X Press-ups
40X Sit-ups
15X Over-head dumbbell press (12Kgs each)
8X Chin-ups
30X Body weight squats
15x Dumbbell flys (12Kgs each)

I feel nicely full body knackered :D Not much work on the legs I'll admit but they are still pretty done in from yesterdays run. I plan to fit the above in twice a week, along with the usual 3 evening boxing sessions, and 2-3 runs/cycling sessions.

Man of Honour
OP
Super quick question... what kinda weights do the mens health etc models lift? How much do they weigh? Just trying to gauge a comparison.

Apart from the fact they are airbrushed - I doubt they lift that much and they wouldn't be "impressive" in terms of size. They just have low bodyfat. You wouldn't see them in a spit and sawdust gym, but a virgin active happy clappy gym.

Associate
Apart from the fact they are airbrushed - I doubt they lift that much and they wouldn't be "impressive" in terms of size. They just have low bodyfat. You wouldn't see them in a spit and sawdust gym, but a virgin active happy clappy gym.

Such a generalisation mate! I think I mentioned before my brother got to the MH cover model finals. He front squats 140kg and benched 100kg for 25 (after a 160) - not sure of his others but you get the gist.

A lot of those guys sit a lot bigger in day to day life and just cut down majorly for shoots. I photograph guys for my gym on a regular basis and I'll tell you now that often the MH style of shots doesn't show those guys off in the way you and I would be impressed. If you see them in real life or in video they look a lot meaner.

dun

dun

Soldato
As above how can we say. I know some people who have that sort of look who are on and off the sauce constantly but just live a crap lifestyle and some who are very dedicated and quite big normally but have to cut down a lot for photo shoots etc.

Associate

Cheers FF & Smit. I'm not huge but think theres a proportion thing going on when I compare with people with super low bf, they end up looking bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom