Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I'm no expert but try maybe 3/4 sets of 8-10 reps with 4second negatives for your mass program and then once you've done say 6/8 weeks of this follow it up with a 5x5 program focusing purely on power/strength (so same speed ecentric&concentric)

yeah I might try sets of 8-10 for a bit then back to 6-8 after a good few weeks (will take some effort to stop the ego strength :p).
Managed to DB Press 30kg(x2) today for 3 sets of 8, been on 27.5 for a while, but finally went for it today and managed it. Last few reps in the last set were a challenge

Nice one, I've been working towards 30kg dumbbell press too and managed 7 reps of 30kg, only for one set though :p
And for the food affectionados (presentation is lacking), 3 eggs, pastrami, ham, beef and onions :)
DSC00929.jpg

Soldato
Looks tasty!

I remember whilst at Uni I had a mamoth meal which consisted of:

1 can of tuna mayonaisse.
500grams of minced beef(grilled)
1 cod fillet.
3 baking potatoes(mashed)
Mixed veg.
Half a can of baked beans.

All mashed up with ketchup. Was lovely and I was hungry as ****!

Probaly not the healthiest thing in the world but it filled a hole and horrified my flatmates! Mashed potatoes are like the cement of the meal. Tbh probaly could have just blended it and drank it!:p

Soldato
Just had 2 Tuna steaks mixed up with 200g of mixed seafood.
Consisting of black muscles, prawns, squid and scallops.

It makes one hell of a big plate. Almost no fat in the meal what so ever, didn't even have to use any olive oil to fry them in the wok.

Soldato
Does anyone else find it incredibly difficult to perform one arm bent over rows? I can't for the life of me do them, never have. I've upped the weight to the maximum I can hold and still, I feel absolutely zero pulling in my back muscles. I try isolating and using my arms as little as possible but still, nothing. I thought I'd ask you lot? :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone else find it incredibly difficult to perform one arm bent over rows? I can't for the life of me do them, never have. I've upped the weight to the maximum I can hold and still, I feel absolutely zero pulling in my back muscles. I try isolating and using my arms as little as possible but still, nothing. I thought I'd ask you lot? :)

I had this issue, I found I was using such a high weight that my whole body flexed all around trying to lift the weight (which I could...but as you say couldnt feel it in the back). I switch to half the weight and went slower and worked up, looking in the mirror making sure my torso didnt twist and I didnt carry any momentum, then I felt the PAIN! :D

Soldato
What?? Don't be daft thats impressive by any standards. Some people have a really wonky opinion on steroids here :/ 750lbs deads for 10 reps not impressive if you are on the sauce? *mind melts*

Of course you are entitled to your opinion mate and I honestly love hearing it, but IMO that is VERY impressive regardless of your test levels :)

No its cheating;)

Soldato

Most people tend to end up pulling the weight up to the front of their shoulder. From what I understand correct form is to actually pull the weight in towards your hip. Even trying it just sat here right now you should be able to feel it hitting different areas of your back completely. Also ensure you're pulling the weight right back and getting a good ROM along with a nice stretch down for the negative of the rep.

Man of Honour
OP
I'm going to carry on the debate (because I want to and I can :p) a little.

I want to make it clear that I'm not trying to change anyone's mind on this as my views are pretty clear, but my personal choice is even clearer - I don't have a want or a need to ever touch gear in any form they are available, not because I disagree with them, but because of the damage they can do to you if not used properly. My fear/concern is also that you are pushing your body beyond it's natural enveloppe. Whilst I know (we all know) it's perfectly feasible to do it safely if you're sensible about it and don't go too far, maybe gain a bit of lean mass that you just were struggling to acheive or for whatever reason you don't have to justify your reasons for taking any supplement really, it's your body/your choice. Like any supplement some work better for you some don't - however gear categorically works if used well and properly. However it still requires, a) a good high protein diet b) a lot of hard work in the gym. You won't see much results from sitting at home or doing some bicep curls. They aren't a magic potion like in Asterix & Obelix.

Whilst I'm not scared of needles I feel they should only be used by doctors in times of necessity (I've had 3 blood tests, and 2 injections ever in my life, though I have given blood). So I wouldn't even get a tattoo on that basis. :)

I think certain bits of gear can really help enhance your natural ability without turning you into a freak, but vs. a natural trainer they do give you the edge (sometimes in terms of composition, size, strength, one of the other, all, or sometimes none - it really depends).

I personally don't see it as cheating - if you're not competing and you've reached your genetic limit and you're doing it for yourself, then what's wrong with that? Even if you are competing, just compete in the tested federation where gear is allowed, therefore not cheating as everyone is on the same playing field.

The only person you "cheat" is yourself, if you're really concerned about it but heck I've taken amino acids, and natrual herb extracts and as part of my diet have lots of "health" foods, such as green tea, coconut oil, and foods containing lots of zinc, magnesium, vitamins b and c etc.... I'm just taking the "more difficult" route to enhancing the nurtrients in my blood but it's still "artificially" increasing the percentage of certain nutrients in my body above it's "natural" level - though I do love lots of these natural extracts you can get and that certain nations and cultures have been using for years!

Anyway back on track whilst I am very impressed at Tank's and other's vehement disdain for "gear" and am also in admiration of their ability to surpass even high end lifters naturally, whilst I wouldn't do it, I believe it is just giving nature a helping hand to boost your ability. Just like in medicine we give people antibiotics or anti-inflammatories - whilst your body has the ability to do it itself, it makes it quicker and more efficient.

Being sensible with them is perfectly fine and you can achieve some good results, quicker than naturally - the results arent' exclusive.

dun

dun

Soldato

I agree with most of that mate. It boils down to the simple fact that if you want to get big at very low bodyfat you need it. At 5'10 you are not going to get over 190lbs (if anywhere near that) naturally on stage. You can debate that all day and night but its a fact. You can get big naturally, very big, or ripped, but in contest shape your body hates holding onto muscle unless you give it a hand.

Man of Honour
OP
Are you going to attempt another personal best on your deadlift Freefaller, I will if you will:p.

I havent' been doing that much DL since doing this AGVT - but I certainly want to try and hit 250 by the end of the year... do you reckon I'll achieve it?

You know you'll whoop my arse anyway in pretty much every single lift :p

I agree with most of that mate. It boils down to the simple fact that if you want to get big at very low bodyfat you need it. At 5'10 you are not going to get over 190lbs (if anywhere near that) naturally on stage. You can debate that all day and night but its a fact. You can get big naturally, very big, or ripped, but in contest shape your body hates holding onto muscle unless you give it a hand.

I don't know, I've seen some totally natural guys, get super lean yet still be bulky. It's just a full time job almost to do it though. Modern lifestyles don't offer that opportunity.

Soldato
Off the current topic somewhat...

This week is my last week of GVT *screams with joy*. I've been steadily increasing my cardio as I've really began to enjoy rowing recently.

I planned to have a week off to allow my body and CNS to recover from the 10 weeks of trauma it has just endured. Obviously this is quite a vital stage as we all know we grow when we rest not when we train!

I would quite like to do a short cut. By short I mean 1-2 weeks. The woman opposite me swears by the 'Atkins' diet which I'm sure we are all familiar with. Essentially no carbs. My understanding is that carbs are most easily stored as fat. Removing them from your diet will not only create a calorie defecit but also stop the storing of any more fat and possibly force the body into using its stores.

However this time when I should be growing and so am not too sure about denying my body of the nutrients it needs to do so. My diet would effectively just consist of meat fish and vegatables (& what little carbs are in my shakes 1-2grams). I understand that cutting results in the minor loss of mass anyway and this doesn't bother me greatly. I would plan to do 2-3 45 minute CV sessions and then a few 10-15 High intensity CV sessions a week during this cut.

My other concern is how the lack of carbs may affect my energy levels?

I'm not unhappy with my level of bodyfat as I have enough mass to show through, but would quite like to loose the abdominal 'excess' from my obese childhood.

If you were in my shoes how would you go about it?

Thanks in advance

Benny C

Last edited:

dun

dun

Soldato
I havent' been doing that much DL since doing this AGVT - but I certainly want to try and hit 250 by the end of the year... do you reckon I'll achieve it?

You know you'll whoop my arse anyway in pretty much every single lift :p

I don't know, I've seen some totally natural guys, get super lean yet still be bulky. It's just a full time job almost to do it though. Modern lifestyles don't offer that opportunity.

Its an illusion as far as I can tell. Big thread going on at bb.com at the moment, have a read through see what you think- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118681701

Edit: Benny I don't know what I would do if I were you as I am coming from being tiny not high bf. But for me I wouldn't even be considering it. Have a week off if you really need it and eat up. Low carbs make me feel like a mess (but do lean me out very fast).

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the quick replies.

Hmmm.

I suppose I could give myself 4/5 days recovery exercise free with my current diet so as not to stunt any growth by the removal of carbs and then try it for a week? or a few days? and if it seems to be working, carry it on.

I haven't been eating a great deal of carbs whilst at home for summer if I'm honnest. 1/2 baked potatoes a week, a portion of new potatoes and rarely pasta/rice. however I do get through 6 slices of bread and 1/2 bowls of cereal a day. I could condense my 2 slim sandwiches into one hench one :p

I just feel whilst I'm at home and don't have the 'good' diet I normally do at Uni I may as well try and take advantage of it. Plus I'd quite like to see the results of my hard work. My calorie intake at current is probaly about perfect for me as my weight doesn't fluxate a great deal I just need to eat into my stores and then return to my regular diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom