Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I'm not really a fan of 'twisting' dumbells during a press. I very badly injured my shoulder doing this. I'd either use a grip like this - - or angle your hands slightly like this / \. Well not as much as that but about about a 30ish degree angle if you were to look down onto of you.

By twisting dumbells you feel it recruit more of your chest yes. But I would either alternate your grip/positioning each set. Or not bother and hit your chest properly with flyes. IMO it's not worth the risk.

No doubt somebody will disagree. Each to our own:)

Associate
I can support this with practical experence, i have benched super wide (as wide as i can on my rack, hands about 2-3in from collars on a 7ft bar) for over a year, pushing a current pb of 145. When i had a crack at 150 the other day i was fairly easily able to get it off my chest but i couldnt get more than 4 in from the bottom of the rep. Equally when i rep out on 110 or so i find that my lockout fails miles before my ability to get he bar moving.

I wouldn't recommend too wide a grip on the BB Benchpress, it puts too much strain on the shoulders. I use quite a narrow grip and always keep the shoulder blades back and pinched in for a strong base. Elbows should not be flaired too wide either.

When people blame the benchpress for shoulder injuries its usually down to poor form.

Man of Honour
OP
I wouldn't recommend too wide a grip on the BB Benchpress, it puts too much strain on the shoulders. I use quite a narrow grip and always keep the shoulder blades back and pinched in for a strong base. Elbows should not be flaired too wide either.

When people blame the benchpress for shoulder injuries its usually down to poor form.

Yeah I agree - though very wide is fine with a very light bar as it just helps get an extra stretch, but I *personally* wouldn't do heavy very wide. I put my ring finger in line with the groove on the bar - that's a nice width for me.

For narrow grip I tend to line up my forefinger where the grip stops and the bar becomes smooth in the middle, so they are about 20cm apart or so.

Soldato
We did a bit of a kettlebell workout today... outside... in the pouring, pouring rain.

Cleans, snatches-to-press, squats, swings, all the good stuff with weights ranging from 12Kgs to 24Kgs, hamstrings feel pretty sore right now :)

Then we moved onto a bit of circuit training with medicine ball slams, sled pulls, tire flips, sledgehammer slams onto a tire, wheelbarrows, piggybacks and an exercises where one person wears a harness and the tries to sprint while the other person stands behind holding a rope and provides resistance, also farmers walk with the 24Kgs kettlebells.

We did all this on the lawns along the sea front of Brighton with the bitter Autumn wings blowing in off the sea, it was incredibly uncomfortable I will have to admit, but the change to the usual exercises was fun :)

Apparently the guy who was helping the boxing club out with this tonight runs the same kind of thing on Saturday mornings, I will definitely have to get in on that.

Soldato
Help Please!

I though I should try this in here as opposed to starting my own thread.

My back ground

I’m 24, 6”3” and 16st. I’ve always been big and played rugby to a high standard until I was around 20, I was never a big fan of the gym and I suppose that contributed to my rugby tailing off. Not “gyming it” wasn’t such a problem though as I’ve always been naturally quite strong and skilled. Over the last 4 years I’ve done little exercise. Over the past 6 months I’ve sorted it out somewhat and have started playing tennis 4 times a week when weather permits. That’s help cut my weight from 18st too 16. I don’t think anyone could have ever described me as fat though as I'm tall and carry the weight well.

I lost my weight in two stages using low carb diets. First was about a year ago when I went from 18 too 17st in a month or so (no carbs what so ever) then the other stone was lost about a month or two ago. My lowest weight was 15st 7lb, I’m at a stable 16st now.

So that’s that…

Moving forward

This week I’ve joined the gym (JJB in Cambridge if anyone cares). My goal it to lose some more fat, exercise and preferably but some lean meat on this brilliant meat rack that god gave me.

This is where I need some help

Diet

In the early stages I’m going to try and keep it simple.

• I've never really eaten breakfast, I like to sleep in. I can take something to work and eat it there, what do you suggest? Would be best if I could make it the night before.
• I get free lunches at work, they’re outstanding and I take full advantage. I don’t like the meat they have on offer, it’s grim. I usually just eat the veggie slop (ratatue, curry…) with rice or potato’s. I would like to eat the meat but by the time I get there it’s dried out and nasty. I’m going to cut out the carbs are much as possible and just eat the veg, is that a bad idea? I eat fruit sometime too, bad?
• I’m going to try and eat eggs when I get home from work, today I had four on one brown muffin. Any good?
• Then when I get back from the gym around 8-9pm I eat chicken. Sometimes through in some brown rice, as I said though I’m trying to cut down on the carbs to aid weight loss. On rest days should I do the same?

Basically I’m trying to eat as much protein as possible and cut out bread, rice, pasta… but still eat fruit and veg. I want to lose fat to get to 14st6lb (roughly), is that a good plan to do that? Will I still gain muscle if I eat lots of protein but low amounts of calories?

Training

This is where I need the most help. I don’t know anything. The sites I’ve been on tell you about all these exercises but I’ve got no idea what they are. I’ve done AS P.E. so I know what some of the muscles are, but I’ve still not got a clue whaty're on about.

This might be tricky but, can some one tell me what to do on what days and what machines (I know machines aren’t great but I think it’s best I start on them to get good form (I picked up hat buzz word from t’ net)). The gym is well stock I just feel like I need a plan for my week to stick to so I know I’m doing it right.

Also how do you remember you routine and what weight you lifted one week to the next? I don’t want to really have to carry around a piece of paper with me. I take my iphone with me though for tunes so I could use that I guess.

Sorry for all the questions and any help you could be would be very helpful!

See you in the steam room after a hard work out!

Last edited:
Caporegime
This might be tricky but, can some one tell me what to do on what days and what machines (I know machines aren’t great but I think it’s best I start on them to get good form (I picked up hat buzz word from t’ net)). The gym is well stock I just feel like I need a plan for my week to stick to so I know I’m doing it right.

Also how do you remember you routine and what weight you lifted one week to the next? I don’t want to really have to carry around a piece of paper with me. I take my iphone with me though for tunes so I could use that I guess.

Sorry for all the questions and any help you could be would be very helpful!

See you in the steam room after a hard work out!

What routine? see the sticky by gordy r
How do people remember? mostly by writing things down until you are used to things, but tbh i always record my sessions on my phone.
cant beat cold hard facts put into excel and making a pretty graph :p

Caporegime
Morba, did you get those 25kg plates from powerhouse fitness with 20% off or something? That's a pretty good deal!

Yeah, on tues :D
the bodymax code was only showing 10% discount online, should have been 20.
So i tried again on tues and the code still showed 10% (shouldnt have given any as the promo period had passed), so i asked online and the bloke rang me and took 20% off :]

£10 delivery, so £1.40 per kg!! excellent price :D

Soldato
Yeah, on tues :D
the bodymax code was only showing 10% discount online, should have been 20.
So i tried again on tues and the code still showed 10% (shouldnt have given any as the promo period had passed), so i asked online and the bloke rang me and took 20% off :]

£10 delivery, so £1.40 per kg!! excellent price :D

:DGood for you getting cast iron plates Morba, ladies use rubber plates:p.

Man of Honour
OP
Interesting article on intensity and training volume. Basically he's saying less is more, and how easy it is to over train. Furthermore it supports the gains I've been getting from AGVT which whilst intense and highly volumetric, is also keyed around not over training - no wonder I've been getting the results I have!

Worth a read.

High-Frequency Training For Stubborn Muscles PDF Print E-mail
Written by Carlon M. Colker, MD, FACN
Friday, 21 August 2009
A trap we so often fall into is to train weak body parts more frequently in the hopes that “more is better.” The fact is that it’s a trap that does nothing but eventually shrink muscle, increase local inflammation and raise the likelihood of injuring the area. As an example, a typical scenario would be a 25-year-old bodybuilder who has weak triceps. Instead of sticking with the 10-set intense weekly workouts he started off doing, eventually he figures that 12 sets would be better. Twelve leads to 15 and eventually he’s doing 20 sets. So right there, he’s already overtrained. After awhile, as he no longer feels any soreness in his muscles no matter how many sets he’s doing, he increases the frequency of workouts to the point that he’s hitting his triceps twice each week for 15-20 sets each session. Eventually, he develops elbow pain and tendinitis. Meanwhile, his triceps still look like ****.

His elbow pain and tendinitis is a typical result of excessive inflammation. The same holds true in every joint. Back, hips, shoulders, knees and ankles are all susceptible to high-volume inflammation from repetitive resistive work. Remember that high-volume resistance training is not like a long jog. You must keep in mind that the goal is maximum pump. That means high circulation, heat and lactic acid production in the area. The area should be pumped and then allowed to clear via circulation. If instead you keep going back to the proverbial well, lactic acid remains in the area for too long a period. Lactic acid then slows healing and potentiates the inflammatory state. So while a little abbreviated muscle fatigue as a result of a fleeting pump is good for muscle growth, a constant and excessive battering of movement to try to further break down muscle in an area that already has been pumped to capacity is a formula for disaster.
This guy with his cruddy triceps and elbow pain is a classic example of how to do it the wrong way. Need another example? If you’re dumb enough, you are welcome to try doing 300 reps of squats three times a week for a few months and see if you don’t develop debilitating joint pain! So where exactly did he go wrong? How could he have gone after more muscle growth while not falling into the trap I describe? The answer is easy to understand, but extremely difficult to apply. That’s because the compunction to do more as opposed to less is almost irresistible. But the idea of higher frequency workouts was in fact the right idea_t7a3373.jpg. The mistake he made was that in turn, he should have dialed down the total number of sets he was doing. So if he was maxed out in terms of sets with his original number of 10 sets, he should have actually dialed that number down to about 8 sets when he introduced the other training session that same week.

Since women have a much more difficult time than men when building extreme muscle, this is perhaps the best place to look for a descriptive example of how well this principle works in proper action. The first example that comes to my mind is pro fitness competitor sensation and 2008 Fitness International Champion Kim Scheideler. Though one of the best of all time, Kim is hardly ever the biggest girl on the stage. She doesn’t put on a ton of muscle easily with her body type. Early on in her career, her shoulders were almost a weakness for her, visually. They were a little bony and flat from the sides. But at the 2008 Arnold Sports Festival, she showed obvious massive deltoid improvement that even drew attention from the crowd at the week-ending seminar. Kim showed full, rounded, symmetric deltoids, with perfect proportion and clearly visible rock-hard striations. This was a dramatic departure from past appearances and a major improvement. The “how-to” story is that Kim simply and correctly utilized the concept of proper high-frequency training. While she hit her shoulders with training twice each week, neither session was a full-blown routine. She had the discipline to keep the total number of sets in check and not go overboard.

Again, it takes a tremendous degree of self-control to resist the temptation to do a full-blast routine. People like Kim (and myself) and almost every other committed musclehead out there simply love to train. It’s not our fault. We’re just wired that way. It’s to the point that it’s almost sacrilege to even suggest that we do a little less. But the good news is that it only hurts to get started. After that, you get used to it, because the next session comes up on you pretty quick, so you learn to enjoy the little bit of rest interval prior to the next session.
Keep in mind that I said nothing about dialing down intensity. In fact, your intensity should be very, very high. This is especially true because the routine for that body part will be so much more abbreviated. If intensity is too low, you will turn a muscle-stimulating routine into, at best, maintenance.

Looking back and drawing from my personal experience, I recall stumbling on the benefits of high-frequency training quite serendipitously. As a young teenage bodybuilder back in the ‘80s, I had always wanted a big set of lats. I recall cutting out pictures of Franco Columbu’s lat spread and putting them up on my wall for inspiration, next to my poster of Farrah Fawcett. He had crazy-looking lats that started from his waist and blew out from his sides like a pair of bat wings. I wanted to be wide, wide, wide. So I trained back with a ferocity unmatched by others in the gym. It was my main focus for months. Chins, pulldowns, seated rows, heavy dumbbell rows, T-bars and more; I did it all in my quest for width. I averaged 20-25 sets per workout. Though my back improved after several months, I just wasn’t getting the results I thought I would.

Then I met Dave “Onions” Goodman. Onions was a serious rock-climber who had the freaky ability, and even freakier desire, to eat a whole onion like an apple. Gregg Valentino gave him his appropriate nickname. At any rate, for a guy who wasn’t even a bodybuilder, his lats were absolutely insane and the envy of every guy in the gym. Yet, in support of his sport, all he did to train his back was wide-grip chins. Having grown tired of my tedious routine and despondent over my poor return on investment in over-the-top back training, I gave it up and just hung with Dave. I figured it didn’t matter, because my lats weren’t growing much anyway. Add to that, girls loved Dave and would always hang around him, so it was an added incentive to stick with him for his workouts. All we would do were chins. Mostly wide-grip and some with a moderate grip, but after getting strong enough, I started hanging weight off my belt for added resistance. Usually we would get in about 8 to 10 sets. Along with a set or two of dumbbell pullovers to finish, this was all we would do for back. We did this on average twice every week to 10 days. I loved it because it was such a departure from my previous efforts on back, plus I just loved hanging with Onions!
Then, after a few months, I got a big surprise— big lats. I’m not kidding, either. It was literally a shock when they arrived. I mean it was like just one day and pow! They were there. Guys at the gym commented first. Even my mother noticed! I was so excited that I had to repeatedly stare at them in these mirrors I had rigged up in my basement so I could see my lats. It was the fastest I ever remember a muscle responding. I felt like one of those chicks after getting a boob job and the wraps finally come off. The difference here was that my lats didn’t come courtesy of any plastic surgeon. In sharp contrast, they were the result of me having inadvertently applied an advanced training technique.

Perhaps the most enjoyable part of this experience was the fact that prior to my training with Onions, I had worked so hard, to no avail. It wasn’t until I backed off the number of sets and increased the frequency of training that I saw results. So make time to take stock of your routine with special attention to the body parts that are not responding as well as you think they could. Look at the frequency of training and the total number of sets. It might be that high-frequency training is just what the doctor orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom