Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
OP
Such a generalisation mate! I think I mentioned before my brother got to the MH cover model finals. He front squats 140kg and benched 100kg for 25 (after a 160) - not sure of his others but you get the gist.

A lot of those guys sit a lot bigger in day to day life and just cut down majorly for shoots. I photograph guys for my gym on a regular basis and I'll tell you now that often the MH style of shots doesn't show those guys off in the way you and I would be impressed. If you see them in real life or in video they look a lot meaner.

Some are bigger than others I guess. I went to uni with a few that made it on the mag and whilst they were undeniably in great shape, they train for look and shape rather than size. :)

They won't all be the same - it's hard to tell as some are titchy and some are tall and some will be broad.

However, there IS a lot of airbrushing as there is in any publication to enhance the appearance. Furthermore, low BF can make you look "bigger" than you are too - it's about proportion.

A bit concerned at you taking lots of photographs in the gym though - gayer :p

Associate
The pre-shoot pump does a lot more than the airbrushing in my opinion. To be honest, they could make the guys look bigger and better with different lighting setups (Animal Pak style!) but they would lose that "MH look" that all their photos have.

A bit concerned at you taking lots of photographs in the gym though - gayer :p

Don't worry I have consent! I'm more concerned at the fact I just used the phrase "pre-shoot pump" :D

Soldato
I failed for the first time in 9 weeks for squatting 5x5. Incidentally it happened whilst I was fasting.

After 14 hours without food and water, it's the only time I can train unfortunately. I got to 132.5KG for squats, made the first 5 sets (barely), then got to 4 and 3. Feel somewhat disappointed and out of it. Both physically and mentally. This is how I feel after taking a break.

I was set to hit 2XBW for squats which was my goal. 12.5KG more, 5 sessions. That doesn't seem feasible now. So close yet so far away.

I feel it's now time to come off of the 5x5 routine. I'll hit it again in the future as it's definitely made me stronger, I know my squats have increased big!.

My om nom nom when it's time to break fast:

photouph.jpg

Soldato
Just made THE tastiest smoothie/shake after my night workout;
400ml 1% purple milk + 25g peanut butter + 30g milk powder + 10g options chocolate (not a great idea at night but oh so tasty :p)

Soldato
dark_shadow I wouldn't be too disappointed, I mean you have made a lot of progress in a very short amount of time with stronglifts as you've said.

What weight were you squatting in your first week of the stronglifts routine? I'm on week 8 now and should be on 107.5kg but I've had to drop down to 92.5kg because I keep failing. I think it's because I'm not eating enough though. How much do you weigh?

Soldato
I started the programme on 85KG. I currently weigh approx 74kg, currently lowering bf so hopefully should be around 70kg soon.

Was the deload after consecutive failures?

Soldato
I started the programme on 85KG. I currently weigh approx 74kg, currently lowering bf so hopefully should be around 70kg soon.

Was the deload after consecutive failures?

Impressive! I didn't follow the deload procedure exactly as I should have to be honest. Basically I did:

97.5 (failed on the last set)
95 (failed on the last set)
92.5 (that was tonight's lift)

I found the 92.5kg tonight very difficult and very nearly failed the last 2 reps on my last set so I don't think I have much hope increasing to 95kg next time. Over the last few days I haven't really had much energy, and haven't really been eating as much as I used to. I'm off on holiday in under a week though so after that and my muscles have had a good rest I'll get my eat on!

Soldato
Squats are brutal. Especially in this routine. Moreso if you train alone.

When you get to the part where you start failing, your mind starts playing games.

Best of luck of and keep us updated with your progress.

When I hit 110, I wasn't sure when I was going to hit failure but I was surprised that I just kept going. In all honesty I thought I was going to hit the big 140 at this rate but my food intake has dropped dramatically. The obvious was bound to happen, especially with squats.

That said I'm pretty confident I can hit 2 X BW for 1 rep.

Time to hit the drawing board with a new routine.

Soldato
managed to get a gym injury today on my finger by dropping a dumbell on it while trying to put it back in the rack, it was light too (8kg) but my finger is bleeding and stinging bad (makes typing a pain in the rear too). Still soldiered on through my workout though and managed 22kg dumbbell shoulder press for 7 reps as I came in.

dun

dun

Soldato
Nice one Morba. Dunno whether I'd like to try those stones though ;)
The Craig- I did that with a 15k when I first started at the gym, didn't hurt too bad though. And then a couple of weeks later on a sharp bit when putting a 20k plate on the leg press with too much force, proper stripped my finger that one did.

Man of Honour
Awesome! I'm really making some massive progress at the moment. Which is wierd as I'm not really doing any different, just the last couple of weeks my strength has shot up

Started hammer curling 20kg DB's today for 5 sets of 8. Also managed 37.5kg Barbell curl, although thats only up 2.5kg

Soldato
Quick question guys,

Off to the gym soon and was wondering if it is worth benching with a bar or should I stick to dumbbells? Weirdly I can bench more with the dumbbells. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Soldato
Quick question guys,

Off to the gym soon and was wondering if it is worth benching with a bar or should I stick to dumbbells? Weirdly I can bench more with the dumbbells. Thoughts?

My understanding is that bars, whilst good for putting on mass are better focused for strength. By this I mean you'd get stronger using a bar over dumbells.

Where as both hands are able to move freely with dumbells you recruit more muscle in the stabilisation and general R.O.M, so are better for improving size/mass.

In theory more focus should be used in the stabilisation using DB's resulting in slightly less weight being moved than if both hands were fixed to a bar as your pushing out and not worrying about your arms falling to either side.

Don't get me wrong you'll improve both strength and size with both but if you were more specifically after improving one of these areas i'd use the relevant exercise:)

In theory you should have a heavier bench than dumbell press. I more or less top out at 50KG DB's but have shifted 120KG on a bar. As you say yours in the other way round you might find a few weeks bench (bar) should get you back to how it should be and might even push your DB press up a tad.

Soldato
Hi,

Thanks for the comment. Since being at the gym, I've never touched the bar as no one was around to help so I've always been doing dumbells. Currently using 25KG dumbells to press although that's without twisting the bell. I'll try and move on to the bar - I think I made the mistake of not having my hands wide enough on the bar.

Permabanned
As a very general rule... The narrower your hands are together on the bar the more you'll be hitting the triceps, the wider your hands the more the chest comes into play.

I can support this with practical experence, i have benched super wide (as wide as i can on my rack, hands about 2-3in from collars on a 7ft bar) for over a year, pushing a current pb of 145. When i had a crack at 150 the other day i was fairly easily able to get it off my chest but i couldnt get more than 4 in from the bottom of the rep. Equally when i rep out on 110 or so i find that my lockout fails miles before my ability to get he bar moving.

As a result im going to narrow my grip for a bit as my chest has come on nicely, but the above post by freefaller is undoubtedly true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom