Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone critique this split I've adopted please?

Day 1 - chest & triceps
Day 2 - nothing
Day 3 - back and biceps
Day 4 - nothing
Day 5 - legs and shoulders
Day 6 - cardio
Day 7 - nothing

I'm 186lbs 5'11'' and my goal is to improve my general physique, for example by getting rid of the slight beer belly and love handles by next summer.

I used to do:

Monday: Cardio
Tuesday: Chest & tricep isolation
Wednesday: Back and Biceps
Thursday: Legs
Friday: Shoulders
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: Rest or used to go and do odds and sods, deadlifts, DB rows etc.

It was a bit too much looking back and could have done with a rest after wednesday.

Your split looks good though.

They've been doing that exercise for years so you can't really compare.

C&J at bodyweight is a fine lift for a non olympic lifter and you should be very happy.
Cheers - I've been trying them out for the past month or so just to change my routine up more than anything else. I'm under no delusions about how tricky the form is so I am quite chuffed, it's just amazing how an efficient technique (like in the video) can be used so much more effectively than raw strength.

Last edited:
managed 6 reps of 30kg dumbbell press today, also managed a 1.5 (half rep) rep max on smith machine of 80kg =/ although that was after ~3 sets of chest work so that should go up to ~85 I guess. Think I've done a bit of damage to my left rotator cuff last week on the chest pressing 24kg for 12 reps so I think I might go a bit lighter on the chest/shoulders for a week or 2.

Think I've done a bit of damage to my left rotator cuff last week on the chest pressing 24kg for 12 reps so I think I might go a bit lighter on the chest/shoulders for a week or 2.

Be very careful with these. They are vital for keeping your shoulder in its socket. It's worth spending the time doing some rotator cuff exercises once or twice a week. Lots of videos on youtube about it. The worse they get the more often subluxations will occur, and eventually dislocations.

On another note due to my own curiosity who here is a fan of 'Diamond Pressups'? I love them! Think they're a great exercise, I like to perform them with my fingers and thumbs touching but also pushing as hard as possible against each other, this keeps the center of my chest under constant tension and works really well.

Last edited:
I am still disappointed with my fellow OcUk's for not training there necks :p.

kongneckstrength.gif

Good man:cool:, get a huge kneck so we can call you juggernaut:D

Haha.

Is it possible for you to explain how you train yours? Obviously the head/neck moves in 4 major directions, front, back, left and right. Is it a bad idea to train it with resistance from the left or right, should you stick to just front and back etc. What stance should you take? Do you have to use a neck sling? is there anything you can improvise with etc? You get the picture :)

At the end of a back and leg session I just use a head harness with a nodding motion, slow and controlled of course whilst sat on the end of my bench. 5x5 25, 25, 35, 45, 50 kilo plate.

I used to always do them at home by just lying on the floord and lifting my head off the floor, then adding a small plate to my forehead. Was hard to control but I enjoyed them at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom