Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Being thin or 'lankey' as you put it doesn't make you a different person.

I know what it's like to not be happy with your body as I was at the other end of the scale at 13.

Like you say you have a free gym 5 minutes away.

Bang your headphones in & ignore everybody else. Sometimes I don't speak to another soul the whole time I'm in there.

I don't even care what anybody else is doing. If they're too busy talking about you then they're not busy lifting and aren't going to get anywhere.

If your not happy with your body, do something about it. Sorry but you're not getting anymore sympathy from me, if you were so unhealthy exercising became a serious health risk then it'd be a different matter.

Determination is what it's all about. If something makes you truely unhappy you'll do whatever you can to see that it doesn't.

We're all willing to help.

Start another thread with your diet & routine and we'll see what we can do.

Last edited:
When I go i know NOBODY in there actually gives a toss and proberly never looks at me. It's a personal thing i think there is something wrong with me lol. Maby because I don't see results straight away (I know i shouldn't) I get put off and think what's the point.

I can't go to the gym till sunday as I am currently at home for a week, even tonight before bed (or now as i have nothing to do ALL week apart from turn 21) I could do some press-ups/sit ups or go for a bike ride. Yet im sat here watching tv.

Somebody shout at me?

Start another thread with your diet & routine and we'll see what we can do.

I hate doing these for some reason. I will have a think. (I don't even have a routine :()

edit: I've just realised and thought why it bother's me. While having a poo (Thats my thinking time :p) I realised i'm too scared to start again because I don't want to fail myself....AGAIN. The amount of times i've said to myself 'You don't have to fail yourself this time' and yet i still do.

Last edited:
I am so disappointed in myself. I started going to the gym maby 3/4/5 times a week back in april with a friend. Managed to put on about 1/2 a stone (Which is really good for me) and finally started to feel confident (Didn't seem that much difference,but I could lift more). My mate moved away and I kept going, but after a couple of weeks it was down to once a week, and then things kept cropping up and i stopped all together and I'm too scared to start again, I don't know why, maby it’s because I feel weak in the gym compared to everyone else in there.

I have a good gym thats free (YES FREE) and I can use it anytime of day 24/7 365days of the year. Its about 5minutes walk away - yet i don't go, all my life I've had the **** taken out of my because of how 'lanky' I am and yet I don't do something about it and I don't know why. When I'm driving and have my arms on the steering wheel I look down and see my arms are pretty much the same width all the way up - It makes me embarrassed.

I actually don't know why I'm writing this - I think its because I'm angry, if i had kept going to the gym just think what a different person i would be now compared to then. I wouldn't try and avoid mirrors or reflective glass.

I'm not even drunk and I'm saying this, ah sorry guys. I know if I read this I would say 'We all have to start somewhere - I was once your size - Just stick at it. etc'.

It doesn't seem to work for me though. I am such an idiot. If I could turn back time(who else started singing the song then?) I would be going and enjoying it. ARgh

Self motivation is a bitch! Like you I had my friend to workout with me 3-4 times a week for years and now hes lost all interest:rolleyes:. Get yourself some banging tunes you like on an mp3 player and get yourself motivated your soon get yourself back into a pattern, you just need to get the ball rolling again;).

Last edited:
I am so disappointed in myself. I started going to the gym maby 3/4/5 times a week back in april with a friend. Managed to put on about 1/2 a stone (Which is really good for me) and finally started to feel confident (Didn't seem that much difference,but I could lift more). My mate moved away and I kept going, but after a couple of weeks it was down to once a week, and then things kept cropping up and i stopped all together and i'm too scared to start again, I don't know why, maby it’s because I feel weak in the gym compared to everyone else in there.

Look at it this way - No more having to wait for them to finish on the bench :p

I went from benching 40kg to 65kg(Told you i was skinny) and i was chuffed to bits. Last time i tried to bench i managed about 2 of 40kg :(

It happens to us all mate, I have had a couple of weeks/months off in the past and had to claw myself back to my heavy lifts. Your get back there just be patient:).

Hi peeps, needing some help with purchasing some Dumbbells.

I've currently been using some old Dumbbells where you put the weights on that you need. Unfortunately, I've now reached the max for the set. (8Kg). I'm looking to obviously move higher, so I would like to get a nice Dumbbell tree / package going on.

I've done some seraching but can't find anything that fits the bill. I'd like some fixed/set weights, preferably the rubber one's, just so I don't have to mess around switching between weights.

The search results I find are either very expensive (£300 plus!) or not heavy enough, i.e. 2x1Kg / 2x3Kg / 2x5Kg. And that's the set, which is not heavy enough.

Does anyone have any good links to perhaps a resonable kit that has weights perhaps starting from 4-5Kg upwards, to perhaps 15-20Kg?

Many Thanks. :)

Hi peeps, needing some help with purchasing some Dumbbells.

I've currently been using some old Dumbbells where you put the weights on that you need. Unfortunately, I've now reached the max for the set. (8Kg). I'm looking to obviously move higher, so I would like to get a nice Dumbbell tree / package going on.

I've done some seraching but can't find anything that fits the bill. I'd like some fixed/set weights, preferably the rubber one's, just so I don't have to mess around switching between weights.

The search results I find are either very expensive (£300 plus!) or not heavy enough, i.e. 2x1Kg / 2x3Kg / 2x5Kg. And that's the set, which is not heavy enough.

Does anyone have any good links to perhaps a resonable kit that has weights perhaps starting from 4-5Kg upwards, to perhaps 15-20Kg?

Many Thanks. :)

Although I haven't done much research into it, dumbbells/equipment can be very expensive so you might be better off with a gym, what is your routine with the dumbbells?

Although I haven't done much research into it, dumbbells/equipment can be very expensive so you might be better off with a gym, what is your routine with the dumbbells?

Thanks for the reply.

I have a bench, but it's not assembled yet. It's up in the loft... must get round to assembling it. hehe. :)

My routine with the weights is just your basics.... sorry, I don't know the technical terms too well, but I do:-

Alternate press - i.e. up and down by the side of the head.
Rowing - i.e. leaning forward and lifting to chest
Lateral Raises - i.e. out to sides
Alternate upright rowing - i.e. pulling up and down to the chin.
Bicep Curls - i.e. the regular one
Tricep Curls - i.e. behind the head and lifting up and down.

:)

I went from benching 40kg to 65kg(Told you i was skinny) and i was chuffed to bits. Last time i tried to bench i managed about 2 of 40kg :(

you say that but ive been a big broad built guy all my life although carrying a fair bit more fat than is good, im pretty sure 40oddkg was what i started on about a year ago and now im doing 70kg easy with a 90kg 1rm.
Dont knock yourself your never as bad as you think

Managed to lose a bit more off my waist now and total loss is up to 9":D im happy.
All i can say is roll on the lean bulking and gaining some quality mass, is it wrong to be extremely excited about bulking :D

Im sooooooo looking forward to getting on a lean bulk aswell.
Tuna sarnies for 6 months is starting to get a bit boring ;)
Barely had any booze either :/ and I used to have a good 5-6 pints and a bottle of wine or 2 a week.

Doing the job though so im more than happy.

Did try a lean bulking diet in July just to have a change from the weight loss and enjoyed it.

Shouldnt be too long for me now.
Down to 12st from 15st 2lb in March (im 6ft 2in).

Ill post some piccies once im done.
Guessing I should be down to my desired Body fat in a month or so.
Does mean im going to be a bit of a lanky runt again....but atleast I can fully focus on bulking up then.

Barely had any booze either :/ and I used to have a good 5-6 pints and a bottle of wine or 2 a week.

I've got no idea why you think a 'lean bulk' would allow you to change this :confused:

Anyway, as I've really got no where else to post this: after boxing training last night the coach told me there had been a match offer for me for.... next week! :eek: He asked me if I wanted to take it but I told him honestly I didn't think I was ready, and he agreed with me, exciting though! I reckon early November at the latest I should have my first bout, can't wait... as long as I win :D

I've got no idea why you think a 'lean bulk' would allow you to change this :confused:

Think I wasnt quite clear.
I dont intend to change it and know that on a lean bulk I dont want to be drinking extra calories.

Was just mentioning I had cut right down.

I have lost all interest in drink to be honest.
I appreciate that its an area a lot of people have a tuff time knocking on the head ( I used to be a manager of an Oddbins which didnt help).

Esspecially when going out with friends who will inevitably try and ignore you and get you to drink.

I put in too much effort in sorting myself out to want to do anything that might hinder me and theyve given up trying now.

Bottom line I guess, is that I want to look good MORE than I want alcohol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom