Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am still disappointed with my fellow OcUk's for not training there necks :p.

kongneckstrength.gif

Crazy. Looks like some torture device from the film 'Saw'. Surely the F1 drivers have some good neck workout routines, as they've all got massive necks, especially David Coulthard. I wonder how they train their necks.

What are people's opinions on couscous (normal not wholemeal)? Is it a good quality food for a 'clean bulk'? I've started eating it as well as brown basmati and wild rice, but I wanted to know if I really should be eating wholemeal couscous instead.

Crazy. Looks like some torture device from the film 'Saw'. Surely the F1 drivers have some good neck workout routines, as they've all got massive necks, especially David Coulthard. I wonder how they train their necks.

I would guess using things like cables/ropes. Seen a few people do that in the gym but not something that I actually do.

I hate buying shirts as it is and I have a small 15.5" neck but shirts are too big :p

Good lord I was walking about all yesterday after a leg session on saturday and I was struggling to walk by the end of the night (After a fair bit of alcohol, but it was muscular pain), I take it this is because blood has been rushed to my legs or something like that all day (that or carrying my frame all day :p)?

Hey all - just a few quick questions;

Been training for almost a year now (well, that was 3 months not having a clue what i was doing, 3 months with a 3 day split specced on here, 3 months with the gym closed ( :( ) and the past 3 months with a new split), and whilst i could have done a lot better I'm still massively pleased with my progress.

Firstly, my weight gain seems to have slowed down / stopped. I was about 66kG's when i started (was very skinny back then) and now I seem to constantly be hovering at about 81, or at least for the past 6 weeks or so (I'm a tad under 6 foot, and I'd guess about 12% BF, although I may be being optimistic. Can see my upper abs / pec definition, but my lower abs have slowly covered themselves :( since the gym reopened and i started my new split I've been trying to bulk as cleanly as possible). Having said that, I've never taken any measurements and just gone on what i see in the mirror, and whilst I might not be gaining wait / gaining slowly, I am still seeing improvements. Whilst my diet isn't the best, I do make sure I'm getting in 5/6 meals a day and totalling at least 160/170g's of protein. Should this be a cause for concern or should i leave it a while longer before considering increasing my food intake? Like i said, trying to bulk as clean as possible now - put on a bit too much fat before the gym closed, so have been a lot more careful this time.

Secondly, recently added another exercise into my tricep routine. Not sure what it's called, but i stand up with a dumbell in each hand - palms facing my thighs, then bring them up to my chest and back down etc

Was doing them yesterday (3x8) and afterwards the small of my back felt... bad... like it had been compressed, or as if i had a weight on top of me squashing me. Took ten minutes or so for me to be comfortable with continuing with other exercises. Any tips on form for this exercise? I've never had any problems like this before.

CHeers in advance. X

Are you referring to normal or wholemeal? I'm trying to differentiate between the two, or more specifically work out if there's a signficant advantage to eating the wholemeal derivative over and above eating normal.

Both, but wholemeal is obviously slightly better. :) But I don't make a difference, I prefer the taste of the regular stuff, it's still better for you than white pasta and rice. :)

Secondly, recently added another exercise into my tricep routine. Not sure what it's called, but i stand up with a dumbell in each hand - palms facing my thighs, then bring them up to my chest and back down etc

Was doing them yesterday (3x8) and afterwards the small of my back felt... bad... like it had been compressed, or as if i had a weight on top of me squashing me. Took ten minutes or so for me to be comfortable with continuing with other exercises. Any tips on form for this exercise? I've never had any problems like this before.

CHeers in advance. X

Reverse curls (BB variaint http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Brachioradialis/BBReverseCurl.html) ? I'm pretty sure they're for forearms, though I've never tried them with dumbbells (I think itd be hard to stabilise the weight).

Nah, my palms remain facing me the entire time, and my elbows go out to the side. Similar to pulling a weighted cable up from the floor, if that helps.

I am so disappointed in myself. I started going to the gym maby 3/4/5 times a week back in april with a friend. Managed to put on about 1/2 a stone (Which is really good for me) and finally started to feel confident (Didn't seem that much difference,but I could lift more). My mate moved away and I kept going, but after a couple of weeks it was down to once a week, and then things kept cropping up and i stopped all together and i'm too scared to start again, I don't know why, maby it’s because I feel weak in the gym compared to everyone else in there.

I have a good gym thats free (YES FREE) and I can use it anytime of day 24/7 365days of the year. Its about 5minutes walk away - yet i don't go, all my life i've had the **** taken out of my because of how 'lanky' I am and yet I don't do something about it and I don't know why. When i'm driving and have my arms on the steering wheel I look down and see my arms are pretty much the same width all the way up - It makes me embarassed.

I actually don't know why i'm writing this - I think its because im angry, if i had kept going to the gym just think what a different person i would be now compared to then. I wouldn't try and avoid mirrors or reflective glass.

I'm not even drunk and im saying this, ah sorry guys. I know if I read this I would say 'We all have to start somewhere - I was once your size - Just stick at it. etc'.

It doesn't seem to work for me though. I am such an idiot. If I could turn back time(who else started singing the song then?) I would be going and enjoying it. ARgh

None of your friends want to go then? Or can you convince someone?

To be honest though, I quite enjoy the gym, and don't see why you still can't.

Maybe promise yourself to go say tomorrow, and realise it's not that bad and you're not being judged.

Even if you can't lift a lot, the fact you're trying is better than most people. :)

Diamond pressups. All the way down to the floor.

Or if your hardcore put your hands so that both of your index fingers touch at the knuckle closest to your palm and do them like this.

Isolations have their place but I wouldn't get carried away with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom