Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't have to be less weight necessarily it depends what you can handle. :)

I'm a huge fan of dropsets yes - a good way of recuriting fibres.

I can get to the end few reps of the last set and actually not be able to move at all, so i drop weights so i can keep the movement, or il will finish the 2nd set of 3 and have to do the last set with a lower weight, i do it so i keep the intensity of the sets, just lower the weight so can actually complete the movement

I do it for a lot of exercises. Bench is a good one, but you need a spot. Chins are also good, but again a spot is important.

DL's and squats respond very well to dropsets.

Fast and explosive on the way up - nice and controlled negative.

Yeah Quorn has really good levels of protein. Eggs are brilliant for protein, get yourself a big bag of mixed nuts/fruit, plenty of protein to be had from those.

Also, cottage cheese/quark can be a good protein source, and cottage cheese is a great complex carb plus slow release protein, so a good choice for a pre-bedtime snack.

Depending on how veggie you are, meaning if you allow yourself to eat fish, then of course, you have massive amounts of choice for protein there.
No, you don't.

Good, you've already given yourself a good headstart by addressing your diet first :)

I say it's not essential to take protein shakes because it isn't. Get as much protein in your diet as you can naturally. Only then if you feel you need more start to look to supplements. Most use them because they are quickley absorbed post work out which is what you need. Also cheap, quick and easy.

I suggest you dig up Freefallers supplements discussion thread nearer the time and give it a good read. It's a long opening post but there's lots of useful information there. If there's anything not covered there feel free to ask :)

Thanks again for the above advice :) Will do some reading up over the next couple of days to really nail my diet down.

is mammoth 2500 weight gainer good. can anyone recommend any other which taste good and has high calorie per servering
mammoth gives 970kcl per serving

still yet to buy it. looking to put some mass on, before i start training hard in jan

thanks

is mammoth 2500 weight gainer good. can anyone recommend any other which taste good and has high calorie per servering
mammoth gives 970kcl per serving

still yet to buy it. looking to put some mass on, before i start training hard in jan

thanks

Eat real food? :confused:

You want to put mass on, before you start training? That doesn't make sense?:confused:

You want to put bodymass? i.e. fat? because if you're not training (not sure If I'm right) it'll just get stored by your body as fat etc. All you'll do is make more work for yourself...
(waiting to be corrected)

Last edited:
imho it's a waste to spend money on gainers.
you can get the "eat food" speech in here as well, if you still wan't a gainer I'd suggest going on bulkpowders.co.uk or myprotein.co.uk and getting yourself some whey and maltodextrin. or you can also use grinded oats as a source of carbs.

I'll echo what I've said a few times, Mammoth is a good weight gainer IF there is no alternative to eating real food. I used it in a time restricted situation and it was very good. I know guys down the gym who use it and also have had excellent results. It contains a lot of sugar and real food is much better then any gainer, but if theres nothing else you can Mammoth is fine.

MRI results: strained biceps femoris :D

Needs physio and possibly some ultra sound treatment, then should be good to go. Most common reason for injuring (according to the consultant I was seeing): not streching the muscle outs properly before exercise.

Physio booked in for next week :)

Needs physio and possibly some ultra sound treatment, then should be good to go. Most common reason for injuring (according to the consultant I was seeing): not streching the muscle outs properly before exercise.

Doesn't sound too serious :)

Minor injuries have their place in everybodys lifting career I feel. There to keep us in line and remind us that we are not invincible! Thats what my shoulder one taught me :)

Wish you a speedy recovery!

Good to hear it's not too bad mate. Good luck with the recovery :)

Went to my university gym the other day (After a heavy night on the booze :p, there goes weeks of gym progress :o), and have a few questions regarding some equipment;
How heavy are EZ-curl bars?
Where are hands placed on EZ-curl bars for bicep curls/reverse curls
Can you get mini shrug bars? I'm sure theres something like that in this gym...
Its gonna take a week or two for me to properly get used to equipment (especially squats/deadlifts/bench with barbells) and I've still got to get to the end of my freshers week and assess weight gain/loss with my drinking/lack of eating.

Went to my university gym the other day (After a heavy night on the booze :p, there goes weeks of gym progress :o), and have a few questions regarding some equipment;
How heavy are EZ-curl bars?
IRC 7.5KG
Where are hands placed on EZ-curl bars for bicep curls/reverse curls.

Wherever you like. Normally so that they are down by your side. For standard and reverse curls. Though it's good to mix it up and use the inner/closer grips too.

Had a good session tonight managed to military press 72kg just over my 69kg body weight, really happy :)

Impressive!

After Pull-ups, Rows, Bench, Inc DB press, Cable Flyes, Squats, and Leg extensions I managed Standing Military Press for:

40KG x 8, 45KG x 8, 50KG x 7.

Followed by some side raise dropsets and Arnies :D

And cleverly managed to twang something in the left of my neck/upper back :( Nothing too serious, fading already but a tad frustrating!

Congrats on the PB!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom