Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realised yesterday when I tried some new maxes, that I bench more than I squat. It's only 5kg, but hell that's bad. :(

Been neglecting my legs it seems. :(

I currently have that problem, though its because I've been getting used to a free bar rather than smith machine. I also only seemed to be able to do ~60kg deadlift today which seems quite hard to do so it'll take some practice (I think I've nailed 60kg so I'll be upping the weight each week) I've been trying to keep good form as I dont want a knackered spine/back :p. Also was squatting ~67.5 yesterday on my chest day which is an improvement, in comparison though I was benching 65kg comfortably for 6 reps the week before :o.
Also did some bent over rows today at 50kg for 6-8 reps and T bar rows with ~ 60kg weight on the bar.

If you've just started out I really wouldnt worry if you bench more than you squat. This is the case for most people and I'm sure 90% of the guys on here when they started lifting. The first thing you do when you get some weights/get in a gym is bench and curl like a mad man because thats what you know.

Now you have some knowledge you can start working on the proper lifts and build them up. You'll be squatting and dead'ing past your bench in no time.

Nobody else was in the gym....I asked him not to touch the bar until I said
Much ado about nothing. Just one of those occasional things so I wouldn't get too bothered about it. However I do find it hillarious when they try to yank the bar up on to the rests/stops and it simply pulls them down- the look on their face :p:D

Just moved up to Leeds and i've joined a mental gym. You lot would love it! Old, red/partially rusty equipment, free weights everywhere, bars everywhere, bars with fixed weights everywhere and the machines are plate loaded.

I feel like i've just started again, the people are huge haha.

I bought 2x5kg tubs of protein and carbs for the occasion (well one was for my brother) but it wont agree with my stomach! £60 down the drain, someone give me £20 and they can have both :p

Went one one of the plate loaded calf machines for the first time ever and it's made all my shoulders red and scratched the hell out of em!

I have yet to try some front squats since the summer. And back then I only did about 50kg. It really really wrecks your wrists if you don't hold it properly.

I'll be upping all my weights next week since I've noticed that I've been on the same level when it comes to some exercises.

Really going to hit the legs properly, that and get more lovely Pull ups done. I always hated them, but when ever I go past the bar I do one, even if it's not my back day.

I've noticed I've rather quickly been doing them easier and easier.

Although my biggest problem by far is that I don't eat enough. Have a horrible habit of missing lunch as I don't get a lunch break from labs in uni.

Just moved up to Leeds and i've joined a mental gym. You lot would love it! Old, red/partially rusty equipment, free weights everywhere, bars everywhere, bars with fixed weights everywhere and the machines are plate loaded.

I feel like i've just started again, the people are huge haha.

I bought 2x5kg tubs of protein and carbs for the occasion (well one was for my brother) but it wont agree with my stomach! £60 down the drain, someone give me £20 and they can have both :p

Went one one of the plate loaded calf machines for the first time ever and it's made all my shoulders red and scratched the hell out of em!

Oo what gym? I'm up in Leeds now and dont know many decent gyms, just the crap virgin/fitness first etc.

And what make is the carbs/protein :p

I have to do this as I dont seem to have enough flexibility in my arms to do it the so called 'proper' way. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Not having a squat rack at my 'gym' (more of a 'wellness centre'), I had to learn the clean grip method. My wrists were horribly inflexible but every time I went to the gym I grabbed an empty bar and practised the grip. Eventually I managed to keep good form in my wrists and arms enough to add weights, so all I can really suggest is do some light ones and keep working on the flexibility in the wrists.

It might hurt or feel uncomfortable to start with but it'll happen eventually.

Of course there's always the hack / overhead squat (shudder).

There is nothing wrong with doing front squats cross over arm way.

There is if you don't have a rack to bring the weight off of.

Also, the clean grip has benefits in terms of the weight being less likely to roll off your shoulders if your form's not bang on, as well as there being some carry over to power cleaning technique if you ever get into that.

Also, the clean grip has benefits in terms of the weight being less likely to roll off your shoulders if your form's not bang on, as well as there being some carry over to power cleaning technique if you ever get into that.

My gym has no power rack so I basicly power clean it up first.

I'll just lower the weight a bit and get my wrists use to it first before I try to add as much as I squat normally

If you don't have a rack you are going to be using much less than your optimal weight anyway so it doesn't really matter. I also have no interest in powercleaning :)
does anyone else here feel sick when woking out their legs??? i start to feel rough as hell when i do my legs but im fine when i do any other part of my body???
Yes, most people.

does anyone else here feel sick when woking out their legs??? i start to feel rough as hell when i do my legs but im fine when i do any other part of my body???

Your legs will burn more energy than any other part of your body. The nausea associated with exercise is from the lactic acid hike in your blood stream (i.e. from your muscles.) When your body starts burning fat, it also contributes to the nausea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom