Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
its a doing my head in, its putting me off doing legs all together!!

You'll get used to it. Do some cardio work (or just grit your teeth and push through leg days) and after a while, you'll not get nauseous. Your body only produces lactic acid when it is in anaerobic exercise, i.e. you're not getting enough oxygen to your muscles, so it must burn extra fat/carbs (and protein!) to supply the energy needed, which produces lactic acid.

If you regularly go into anaerobic exercise, it's also important to stretch after, and perhaps even some small exercises to keep the blood flowing for a while. This is to clear out the lactic acid, so that it does not sit in your muscles and crystalise. This is what causes the pain the following day(s) and in severe cases, this can increase your chances of a muscle tear.

Last edited:
Also when feeling really nauseous, stand up straight, put your hands on your head (to allow your chest and thus lungs to expand fully,) and breathe big, deep, slow breaths. 3-4 seconds for each breath. This will get oxygen into your system quickest.

If you don't have a rack you are going to be using much less than your optimal weight anyway so it doesn't really matter. I also have no interest in powercleaning :)

You may not, but last time I checked the question asked wasn't 'how should dun perform the front squat'. And a lifter that does not currently have any interest in power cleaning might do in two year's time, and then some of the required skill has already been acquired.

Regarding the power clean, I can power clean exactly what I can squat for 3 x 8 reps. Someone without a rack has no choice but to clean if they wish to perform free weight squats. How do you think people like that squat? They practice power cleaning and keep squatting until their clean catches up.

It's obviously the more sensible approach for 99% of front squatters to use the clean grip. MASSIVE biceps is the only good reason not to use it. Just accept it like most other people in the front squatting world have managed to do, and you haven't confronted the point I made about the weight being less likely to roll off the shoulder with the clean grip.

Anything I comment on will be with my own experience, and I don't see how that's a bad thing :s I trained at home for a year with nothing but a standard bar, 2 spin lock dumbells and a selection of plastic weights. I had excellent gains considering the equipment at hand. But lets be honest some guy who can't/ won't go to the gym for whatever reason won't be needing olympic lifts for anything other than telling people on the internet he can do them. I used 'power clean' the bar onto my back to do back squats, but come on that isn't a power clean, its a means to an end. DO some sissy squats, dumbell squats, dumbell lunges, dumbell step ups, hell stick as much weight as possible into a backpack get a friend on your back and try and run up a whoppping hill as fast as possible. I have done them all and more, you just need to be creative.
I also do not know anyone that front squats good weight with normal grip so I don't feel the need to try and stretch my wrists/ arms to do it.

Don't know if anyone is aware/interested but it looks like pro hormones are just about to be banned in the US. Most US retailers have stopped selling them.

Quite an interesting saga really. Theres a lot of very annoyed US lifters. Pro hormones (basically legal steroids) are apparently very big amongst Am Foot (college level etc) players in the US and they are not happy about this.

Don't know if anyone is aware/interested but it looks like pro hormones are just about to be banned in the US. Most US retailers have stopped selling them.

Quite an interesting saga really. Theres a lot of very annoyed US lifters. Pro hormones (basically legal steroids) are apparently very big amongst Am Foot (college level etc) players in the US and they are not happy about this.

I'm not up to date on all the side effects though I've read at a few places they're meant to be pretty bad for people with growing bodys (~<22). I'm glad to see them banned tbh, although If they went onto the black market its worse as you cant be 100% on what you're buying.

They're not banned in the uk I think, also considering steroids are legal to posses it would be a bit backward thinking.

OK then they were banned in the US 4 years ago

On January 20, 2005, prohormones in the US were officially banned as a result of the Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 2004. This was an act which was signed into law on October 22, 2004 (to be effective 90 days later) and, with regards to prohormones, trumped the Dietary Supplement Health and Regulation Act (DSHEA) of 1994 which is what allowed their legal manufacturing and distribution.

Just gotten me a nice 5kg bag of banana protein from myprotein delivered today :D

Just wondering when is the best time to be taking this stuff? obv. one shake after the gym but should i take one either when i wake up or before i sleep?

Just wondering what would be best

Im planning on taking 2 a day i think, 1 with water and the other blended together with a banana 200ml milk and half a pot of natural yogurt....maybe some blended oats? Good idea or just stoopid

IIRC only certain pro hormones were banned Smit, but the manufacturers would just modify the compounds slightly and they would be legal to sell again.

The ban that looks set to drop will render all formulas illegal to sell over the counter.

I think the general opinion on pro hormones anyway is that they are more dangerous than actual gear. Pro hormones are basically steroids anyway.

Just gotten me a nice 5kg bag of banana protein from myprotein delivered today :D

Just wondering when is the best time to be taking this stuff? obv. one shake after the gym but should i take one either when i wake up or before i sleep?

Just wondering what would be best

Im planning on taking 2 a day i think, 1 with water and the other blended together with a banana 200ml milk and half a pot of natural yogurt....maybe some blended oats? Good idea or just stoopid

Post your general diet then we can give you a better answer.

General rule of thumb though is;

Shake on wake
Shake after training
Shake before bed

But ultimately depends on your diet / how long you've been training / goals

IIRC only certain pro hormones were banned Smit, but the manufacturers would just modify the compounds slightly and they would be legal to sell again.

The ban that looks set to drop will render all formulas illegal to sell over the counter.

I think the general opinion on pro hormones anyway is that they are more dangerous than actual gear. Pro hormones are basically steroids anyway.

Ah that could have been it :p Just remembered reading about it back when I first started taking the gym seriously.

AFAIK the US banned a list of substances years ago. The manufactures just used different ingredients/ modified the ingredients. Everything I have read has either shown the side effects to be worse than steroids or they just don't know if the ingredients are new. They seem more of a US product as you mentioned, because why would you bother when steroids are legal here? Anyway I'm not sure FF would approve of this talk :p

But lets be honest some guy who can't/ won't go to the gym for whatever reason won't be needing olympic lifts for anything other than telling people on the internet he can do them.

That's simply not true. Sorry and I'm not deliberately trying to be an arse, but the fact that it happens to be an olympic method is irrelevant. It's the better method due to the mechanics of the lift i.e. the fact that the weight is less likely to roll off your shoulders. It also encourages you to keep your lower back in a better position by holding your head up.

I don't know why you can't just admit that it's preferable to the crossover grip for 99% of front squatters? And if you think that the crossover grip is preferable, on what basis do you believe it?

General rule of thumb though is;

Shake on wake
Shake after training
Shake before bed

But ultimately depends on your diet / how long you've been training / goals

That works for me and I got some nice gains, ran out of whey last week and have been having cottage cheese before bed.

But the lack of shakes really take a toll, you actually have far less energy if you dont have them after training

That's simply not true. Sorry and I'm not deliberately trying to be an arse, but the fact that it happens to be an olympic method is irrelevant. It's the better method due to the mechanics of the lift i.e. the fact that the weight is less likely to roll off your shoulders. It also encourages you to keep your lower back in a better position by holding your head up.

I don't know why you can't just admit that it's preferable to the crossover grip for 99% of front squatters? And if you think that the crossover grip is preferable, on what basis do you believe it?

Don't be sorry mate, its refreshing to see someone who has some passion. However, going by your post in "post your pictures" thread you say you have been lifting for 1 month, and have "twig" legs (your words not mine). So why do you feel the need to educate me and many others who do not use standard grip for whatever reason that your way is right? In a few years if you are still at it then we can have an in depth discussion on what you beleive works best for you, but at the moment I really don't see the point. Cross over or standard front squat technique is really not something you need to be focussing 100% of your effort on at the moment. Lift heavy and hard with what ever you feel suits you best, if thats standard grip then go ahead :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom