Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just joined a new gym yesterday (new Virgin Active at Twickenham stadium), so thought I'd come along and add to this thread.

I used to be into my weights a few years back, but I haven't done anything really since 2007 and want to get back into it.
I was in pretty good shape then, but lately have let myself get a bit flabby!

Current stats are 6'2, 205lbs at around 20% bf.
The initial goal is to drop to around 185-190lbs and then start bulking up from there.
My long term goal is to be around 195-200lbs at around 12%bf - although I'm 6'2 I'm actually a pretty small build and really have no desire to be bigger than this as I reckon I would look stupid!

Diet wise I'm aiming to eat between 2000 and 2500 kcals per day at around a 30/40/30 split for p/c/f during the cut.
I cycle a bit anyway so have a reasonable activity level so hopefully should be able to cut fairly well on that.
The macronutrient split I'm going for may not be the most optimal but I know it's something that will work for me.
I've been down the route of planning everything meticulously before and in the end I just get fed up and binge on crap so I'd rather do something that I know I'll be able to live with!

With the exercises, I'm planning on starting out with full body workouts on relatively light weights to begin with to ease my body back into lifting weights again.
I was surprised at how well equipped the gym was weights wise considering it's a 'lifestyle' gym so hopefully I won't have any equipment issues.
I'll probably do this for maybe 4-6 weeks building up the weight and then get into a 3-day split once I know my body will be able to handle it.

I'm sure I'll be asking a few questions when I get to that point.

Thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Did my first lot of Good mornings last night at the gym after hearing good things about them building core strength on here. I have to say I was shocked at how much weight I could use. I didn't push myself though, I could feel it in the muscles but no doms today. I was using 35 kg for 12 reps and taking it nice and slow and quite deep but my torso was not parrallel with the floor (hope thats right). I think I could really come to love this exercise, especially on day's where I've been squatting as it takes a lot out of me and I'd prefer not to deadlift on the same day.

Think I picked it up in something Tank wrote, so thanks mate :)

Good mornings - I'm sure they're a great exercise, but they look like a back killer :(. Why not just do hamstring curls? The back element of the exercise is taken care of by deadlifts.

Had a good back and tricep session today, felt really motivated and strong.

2.5 weeks into my new lean bulk and managed a pretty respectful 180 x 3 on the deadlift which i was pretty happy with. I think i will be able to crack 200k in the next couple of months if all goes to plan.
All lifts are going up by the week, so im feeling good at the moment, and quite enjoying my diet and actually having energy to train:)

Good mornings - I'm sure they're a great exercise, but they look like a back killer :(. Why not just do hamstring curls? The back element of the exercise is taken care of by deadlifts.

I had heard that before which is why I avoided them, but after having done them with what I know to be good form they felt really good and I felt safe and stable at all times.

The reason for doing these instead of leg curls is purely because I love doing compounds and I often find with machines and the like that I don't get a proper feel in the motion and that I am making the best of the machine (as it is not designed for my body) rather than making the best of the exercise. Along with this I also want to improve core strength which these have been recomended for.

Knee is getting so much better with the daily streching and exercises my physio has given me.

Appointment on Monday 19th will decide whether or not I can start do very very very light squats on them :D

They are a great exercise because they target those muscles that are likely to cause problems :) Strengthening the lower part of your erector spinae, which will help everything from dl's to squats, to shoulder presses and general posture :)

Up most of last night with super bad sinus problems and being sick due to the lemsip which doesn't agree with me anyway. I haven't been right for about 3 weeks now and just as I thought I was getting better I seem to have been hit even worse. Doing my head in now (get it lol).

Not at all they're great, just start off light and build the weight up over time.

Up most of last night with super bad sinus problems and being sick due to the lemsip which doesn't agree with me anyway. I haven't been right for about 3 weeks now and just as I thought I was getting better I seem to have been hit even worse. Doing my head in now (get it lol).

Thats harsh dun I truly feel for you:(, I have done only a week of your symptoms bar the throwing up and thankfully its seemed to have cleared up now so back to me weights on Monday!

Regarding Good mornings, would it be advisable for me to avoid them or to actually work the muscles down there, as back on the night before our Rugby World Cup win in 03 I managed to crush 2 vertebrae in my lower back (L4 and L4)? All fine now and have no problems with deadlifts or anything else in everyday life.

Not trying to bring in a medical question here, I don't have any problems with these fyi.

Well my motivation is dying a little for the morning gym routine! I hate it when it gets towards winter and it's still dark and cold outside when I have to wake up to get ready for work and the gym.

Quick Question... Any ideas on what would happen with mixing a 3x8 / 5x5 routine? I mean doing 3x8 for a couple of weeks, then switching to 5x5 and then switching back after a few weeks? Would this do anything good or bad? As long as the weights were getting progressively bigger (separating the two routines) then would it cause any issues?

Adjust your grip. Aching joints indicates that you are putting them under stress, i.e. not using them correctly!

When pressing, your hands/wrists should be straight. Imagine that you are punching, or doing press-ups on your knuckles, with a bar in grip. A lot of people will let their hands 'flop' backwards when pressing, this will damage your wrist joint. :)

Thats harsh dun I truly feel for you:(, I have done only a week of your symptoms bar the throwing up and thankfully its seemed to have cleared up now so back to me weights on Monday!

Cheers mate. Been to the doctors today and he's put me on 1500mg a day of amoxicillin for sinus infection. Also taking some paracetamol and pseudoephredrine which seems to be easing it. At least a couple of more days off the gym. Once thing after another the last month :(

A Powerball might help here, it certainly isn't easy when the revolutions get higher and it is fun trying to beat previous best scores. You could also possibly do wrist curls but I don't know enough about them to advise.

I don't know whether I would recommend a powerball for strengthening wrists but damn they're fun!

Had a good leg day today
heavier Backsquats, front squats, prone curls and calf raises. I think I'll do legs on monday rather than other days :P.
Gonna do my chest tommorow, anyone know how deep you should go on chest dips? I tend to feel it more in my tri's than chest and can't do that many even though my chest is one of my stronger bodyparts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom