Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone got any ideas to strengthen wrists. I'm doing bench presses but towards the end my wrists really hurt

I find ez curl bar bicep curls with palms down hit forearms and wrists hard.

not really possible sadly, as there is a dipping station type thing and the bars are in a set position, I might try it on the assisted machine and remove the assistance as that bar might be slightly wider.

No need to widen grip. Lean your chest forward.

eg: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/BWChestDip.html

Last edited:
not really possible sadly, as there is a dipping station type thing and the bars are in a set position, I might try it on the assisted machine and remove the assistance as that bar might be slightly wider.

You could try dipping on the smith machine. Just set the bar on the lower hooks and go from there. I've done it a few times but then i've never had great success with dips for chest workout either.

I was just wondering what kind of weights you should be lifting as a % of your body weight on the 3 main lifts, Deads, Squats and Bench??

Also is this an acceptable back and tricep work out?

4x6 Deadlifts
4x8 BOR (i keep them lightish)
3x8 V Grip Row
3x10 Wide Grip Pull downs
4x8 Tricep Pull downs (bar)

Swap pull downs for pull ups if you can :) Not to worry if you can't yet!

I'd do some shrugs and reverse flies too, for those important traps and rear delts :)

as for %'s, there isn't really a hard and fast rule, just lift as much as you can with good form. I would say comfortably, but there's comfort and there's not lifting enough :p

Last edited:
Dipping with the bar/s in series as opposed to parralell. Essentially MEGA decline press. Not quite sure how changing the positioning if/will affect and hit different areas

Bar/bench dips such as this have their place but they strain the shoulders and should be used with caution, parallel bars make much more sense as the idea of a functional exercise is to impart as much stress as possible on the target muscle group without imparting unecessary strain on any other joints or musculature, if i did heavy sets of dips on a horizontal bar or bench i would probably injure my shoulders before working my triceps enough.

I was just wondering what kind of weights you should be lifting as a % of your body weight on the 3 main lifts, Deads, Squats and Bench??

Also is this an acceptable back and tricep work out?

4x6 Deadlifts
4x8 BOR (i keep them lightish)
3x8 V Grip Row
3x10 Wide Grip Pull downs
4x8 Tricep Pull downs (bar)

There is no such thing as a % of your bodyweight, maybe lean bodymass but not bodyweight because if your an 18st fat bloke you wouldnt be expected to deadlift, squat or bench 130kilo but if your 18 st lean you should easily be doing double that at least in the dead and squat. Ill put it this way, if you bench and squat bodyweight and maybe deadlift 1.5x-2x your BW then you are lifting at a good level although your squat should be about 1.5x your bench or higher.

I agree that pullups are better than pull downs if you can hit good reps but then i only do heavy low rep pull up work and volume pulldowns as im heavy and cant hit good rep ranges in pullups. Dips are hands down the best tricep builders, youve not got enough heavy tricep work there to grow them well.

Dips are good Ultra Extreme, but didn't do much for me even weighted dips! I'm a huge fan of heavy EZ bar Skull crushers and heavy High Pulley Overhead Tricep Extension.

Dips are good Ultra Extreme, but didn't do much for me even weighted dips! I'm a huge fan of heavy EZ bar Skull crushers and heavy High Pulley Overhead Tricep Extension.

agreed m8 i love heavy skulls and overhead extensions but IMO they are for the more experienced trainer, dips give a good rounded developmental baseline for your average trainee to work from. After which he/she can find whats best for them. For the inexperienced lifter, compound movments like dips give the best overall gains, importantly developing the supporting musculature in preperation for more isolated work such as the movments you've mentioned.

Yes I would agree with that Ultra Extreme:).

Had my arm day early hours of the morning, 3hrs of fun absolutely loved it :cool:. Still a little gutted about my week off last week due to a rotten cold but what can you do:o.

Last edited:
I see, cool. It's quite a workload but you're not exactly a beginner!

I was doing those bench rack lockout things where I start with my arms just above 90 degrees again last night, did:

120x5
120x5
120x5
Decided to stop being a girl and did 120x8
130x2 !!

I really hope if I can build up the strength on that to 150kg or so and do more direct tricep work I'll be able to improve my weak girly bench press.

I see, cool. It's quite a workload but you're not exactly a beginner!

I was doing those bench rack lockout things where I start with my arms just above 90 degrees again last night, did:

120x5
120x5
120x5
Decided to stop being a girl and did 120x8
130x2 !!

I really hope if I can build up the strength on that to 150kg or so and do more direct tricep work I'll be able to improve my weak girly bench press.

Thats hardly a girly bench press:confused:thats still a considerable amount! Good volume too.

Thats hardly a girly bench press:confused:thats still a considerable amount! Good volume too.

I don't know if it's technique or what but free benching last week I was doing 85x5 @ 72kgs. I'd obviously really like to get it up to 100kg+ so I hope these rack lockouts at 40-50kgs higher than I bench will help to improve things!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom