Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only! Hah! I can barely lift two of those, in fact I deadlift 88Kg 3 x 8. I must be the weakest person that visits this forum section.

Highly doubtful. Ours go up to 80 possibly 90k under the rack but they are made from 5k plates so they're just to big to do anything constructive with.

Highly doubtful. Ours go up to 80 possibly 90k under the rack but they are made from 5k plates so they're just to big to do anything constructive with.

You can do 'strongman dumbells' with that!!! (As per the Terry Hollands video)

Ahh that would be awesome. Ours only go to 50kg

We all started somewhere :) I find the 40s pretty easy to deal with now but it's taken me a while for me to get there so don't worry about it. :)

I've pressed 60kg DBs that was tough but I've been to a gym where they go up to 100kg!! :eek:

ye gads 100kg's per hand !? il stick with smaller ones for now as im as stiff as a board today and of course iv got two days of work when i was expecting NOT to be hauling myself about for 9 hours hurling bins about.

least i get to get back in sat morning first thing when its quiet. :D

We'll had my first leg session using V-max Pump. I was a bit anxious as I get enough leg pump as it is let alone with the help of anything else!

It went something like this: (Squats on smith due to lack of equipment)

Back Squats:
10KG x 6
60KG x 6
100KG x 10
100KG x 10
100KG x 10
100KG x 10
60KG x 20
60KG x 20
60KG x 20
60KG x 0 (Fail - Legs gave way under the weight of just standing there)

At this point the pump was unbearable. I couldn't bend my legs past about a 30/40 degree angle. I wanted to get another 2 sets out at 60KG to total 140 working squats but aimed a bit too high! I wanted to do some front too but that went out the window!

Hip Adduction In:

80KG x 20
80KG x 20
80KG x 20
80KG x 20
80KG x 20

Calf Raise Leg Press (Smith was busy, Normaly set it up so its a seated calf raise)

Can't quite remember but did a fair few sets between 30KG and 80KG, not heavy but getting my leg straight was painful :p

Leg Curl:
35KG x 10
45KG x 10
45KG x 10

Leg Ext:
45KG x 8
45KG x 8
45KG x 8

Spent.

Just over 15 Tonnes Volume on Squats and Adduction. I know adduction isn't a particulary brilliant exercise but volume is volume.

I was destroyed after squats and adduction which is why some of the weights there arent particulary impressive! Stairs were a mission. Was really aiming for as much pump/hypertrophy as possible and I got it. Some leg shots going up in the picture thread soon.

Can anybody recommend some good leg stretches please. My hamstrings are very tight and don't seem to want to loosen up. Not becaue of this session, but just in general. I can touch my toes/floor but keeping my lower back straight and I really feel it. I'd like to do SLDL but don't think I can get low enough.

Last edited:
Did a leg session today, back squats got up to 160kg for 5 which was pretty nice, and DLs managed 180kg for 2 sets of 4 reps without straps or belts etc.. (this was after 7 sets of back squats). So although not my 220kg it's getting back there which I'm chuffed about as it's been quite weak recently.

Managed to deadlift 110kg today.
I started at 80kg x8, 100kg x6 and then managed 110kg x4.

I felt completely ecstatic, I'm almost at doing double my body weight :D

Got some odd looks from the big guys as I'm one of the smallest guys there at only 65kg.

Did a leg session today, back squats got up to 160kg for 5 which was pretty nice, and DLs managed 180kg for 2 sets of 4 reps without straps or belts etc.. (this was after 7 sets of back squats). So although not my 220kg it's getting back there which I'm chuffed about as it's been quite weak recently.

Good stuff. Don't think I'm capable of my PB's at the moment but in a way I'm glad as it's something to aim for again. While I can with workload permitting I'm eating as much as I can and putting on as much mass as possible now. Then I'll worry about strength later on.

Managed to deadlift 110kg today.
I started at 80kg x8, 100kg x6 and then managed 110kg x4.

I felt completely ecstatic, I'm almost at doing double my body weight :D

Got some odd looks from the big guys as I'm one of the smallest guys there at only 65kg.

Congrats. Double bodyweight DL feels brilliant. I think I managed double BW plus about 17.5 or 20KG and it felt awesome. It's all relative. At that bodyweight you should be proud!

Edit: I found I could lift more with an alternated grip, as opposed to double overhand, also found it worked my upper back more. If I'm honnest I never really felt it in my upper back until I switched to alternated..

Last edited:
Congrats. Double bodyweight DL feels brilliant. I think I managed double BW plus about 17.5 or 20KG and it felt awesome. It's all relative. At that bodyweight you should be proud!

Edit: I found I could lift more with an alternated grip, as opposed to double overhand, also found it worked my upper back more. If I'm honnest I never really felt it in my upper back until I switched to alternated..

Thanks.

I know what you mean about alternate grip. Since starting it I feel my back worked a lot more.

I swap hands around after each also.

I posted this in Gordy's thread but I'm not sure how popular that still is so I thought I'd post to here as well :p Thanks in advance!:

Sorry if it's been answered but I've been following GordyR's main guide at the start and was wondering should there be a specific exercise on hamstrings? I understand these will be stabilizing muscles(?) for squat etc. but they seem quite big and important muscles to not have a specific exercise?

Sorry if this sounds stupid!

I posted this in Gordy's thread but I'm not sure how popular that still is so I thought I'd post to here as well :p Thanks in advance!:

Sorry if it's been answered but I've been following GordyR's main guide at the start and was wondering should there be a specific exercise on hamstrings? I understand these will be stabilizing muscles(?) for squat etc. but they seem quite big and important muscles to not have a specific exercise?

Sorry if this sounds stupid!

Romanian/Stiff Legged Deadlifts along with stiff legged good mornings I'd say.

Thanks for the replies guys, but I am right in thinking I don't *have* to do these? And that the other exercises in GordyR's guide are on their own sufficient to work the whole body? Including hamstrings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom