Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as you keep your shoulders and ass on the bench its ok to arch slightly.

The issue is when people bring their bum off the bench and start arching from shoulders to feet - thats where it really becomes dangerous.

I've taken much more interest in bench recently as its the only "big" lift I can really do at the moment.

Were lucky at my place, an old guy there used to compete in British powerlifting (under 82kg I believe) so on a Monday we usually do heavy bench day and he passes the lift or not.

Some of the tips he gives are interesting, really minor changes to the way you bench but make a noticable difference. Quite funny as well as he looks like some random old guy having a go at bench, then he loads up 100kg for his warmup :o

I guess they are not really tips, but more specific to how you bench. The main pointers with my bench were:

- Not driving shoulders blades back into the bench enough when setting up
- My grip was in slightly the wrong place for my height, I was just inside the ring on the bar and for maximum strength I should have been about third finger on the ring (in his opinion of course)
- Not enough power in my delts which suprised me (which he said might relate to the grip point above). So he recommended fast ultra wide bench on my 2nd bench day and it worked, 4 weeks on I beat my max :)

When we do another strongman day I'll get him to come along. He will talk for ages though :D

Another interesting point btw, hes the second old school guy I've trained with and both have 1 thing in common - see absolutely no need for supplementation.

'Good fats'

How important are good fats to maximising muscle growth, really? I've looked crtitically at my diet and whilst I usually add a bit of olive oil to my evening meal and occasionally eat things like tinned mackarel, I certainly don't go out of my way to include oily fish etc. as a regular part of my diet.

Am I losing out in any significant way?

I've actually had problems with this, as I am allergic to shell fish, which may seem simple in "just don't eat shell fish" but I also have to be careful not to eat fish that feed on shrimp/prawns etc. as I'll get a reaction from that, too :(

The main benefits, that I can tell, are for joints and ligaments. Is there any alternatives to fish (including fish oils)?

Oily fish and oils aren't really there for muscle growth, but the other health implications are so vast it seems daft not to get some into your diet.

Definately agree with FF on this one, I notice a fair difference in health and general good feelings when I stop supplementing with EFA's

The main benefits, that I can tell, are for joints and ligaments. Is there any alternatives to fish (including fish oils)?

You could try flax seeds or other plant material which contains ALA which is then converted within the body to EPA + DHA its not very efficient but better than nothing

Last edited:
talking about bench iv just gotten back from my first visit to the gym in a good 18 months. been going for the last 3 but only just managed to get in and sign up today.

and im weeeeaaaaak :S

my bench for what its worth was 60kgx10, 80x10 and 80x10. no one to spot so couldnt go mad :/

should be stiff as a board tomorow but guess il manage to go again :D

I'm going to buy a bench and spend some serious time and effort on my chest and upper body at home; can anybody care to recommend a decent bench? I have the bar and weights etc :)

All this bench talk reminds me, my training partner got me to do "burnouts" last week. Never felt pain like it. I have no idea if its a real training exercise but quite a few guys at uni do it and it really works my chest. Lots and lots of reps

Their definition of burnouts is 10 quick low weight reps as far out on the bar as you can reach, followed by 10 just inside the rings, followed by 10 close grip presses and then finally all the way back out through the other two positions again all done one after the other with no rest. That's 50 reps in quick succession. I managed it on 40KG. 3 sets of that and it felt like my chest was on fire

Yeah my burn out is doing a pyramid style workout, say you start on;

35Kg each side for say 10 reps
30kg each side for say 10 reps
25Kg each side for say 10 reps
20kg each side for say 10 reps
15kg each side for say 15 reps
10kg each side for say 15 reps
5kg each side for say 15 reps
Then the bar to reach 100

All without taking a rest between sets do this maybe once every two weeks it’s a killer! Does anybody else do this style?

Effectively both dropsets. One with varying grip.

I'm a big fan of dropsets as a 'finisher' exercise. Get some serious pump on and leave knowing you've given it everything you have.

Thankfully I did my leg workout on monday, last night whilst out (With lots of drink) I managed to sprain my ankle I think quite badly so I'm going to be walking like a cripple for the next few days. Speaking of drink I think it's getting me a fair bit fatter, I haven't weighed myself recently but my diet hasn't been as good as it used to be, couple with LOADS of alcohol I'm not too suprised though.

Gonna try a seated shoulder workout tommorow as I dont want to do back and put weight on my feet, I'll go for a 22.5kg or 25kg seated dumbell press, or I might even try some seated barbell work.

Weight didn't change when I did it but yea, basically just lots and lots of volume to give some serious pump!

Sorry me being blind! Not quite sure if its a superset. Not sure if the deffinition of a superset is exercises working different groups. Actually saying that I think it was just a MEGA superset you did :p They're my favourite :cool:

Supersets are when you compound your exercises. For example, you could super set shoulder DB presses with reverse flies or arnolds.

Usually it's the same group of muscles, but it's not out of the ordinary to superset different muscle groups. It's basically just doing any other exercise before a break.

One that I am fond of is reverse flies, then one arm DB rows. So do a set of flies, then immediately (after swapping DB) into one armed rows.

Last edited:
I like upright rows followed my military press, similar to HC2PP. Also Reverse grip bicep curls followed by standard grip is a killer.

Managed, somehow, probaly due to the low carb stint to loose the best part of a stone since May. Which isn't a big achievement but that was without really trying. 1" has disappeared off my waist. Down from 34 to 33. But have retained most if not all of my hard earned mass :)

FF i have an awesome one for improving your bench! Its what i've resorted to :)

Lie on a bench with a weight starting at your chest, then lift the weight down passed your head and behind it and pull it back up. If you bench 150kg i'd expect you to do at least 10*110lbs (a single dumbell).

And also another awesome one is to load a dumbell bar with 140lb and press it up and down on your chest (very little movement) starting at 25 reps up to 30, 35, 40 then down 35, 30, 25, 20, this gets great results for your triceps and you should see some really good gains on your benching.

I alternate between the two every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom