Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was bench daytonight...I felt like absolute **** so didnt go crazy.

60kgx10
65kgx8 (was still feeling stiff and was the others lads weight)
95kgx8
105kgx5
105kgx5
105kgx5
105kgx5
110kgx4
110kgx3
80kgx9
60kgx11

Getting there. Maybe I'll go straight into 110kg next week instead of tiring myself with 105kg.

Finished off with a dips (+20kg plate) and clapping press ups supersets. I urge you all to try it :D

Haha some of you lots gyms sound like a right mess. We have the occasional nonce messing about on equipment. Stand next to them and just say "how many you got left mate", you might get "1 more mate" or like we got the other day "I dunno about 30" :\ But just stand there watching them with a slight look of shame for them. 99.9% of the time they'll just move. There is one exception to this rule however- woman/ jailbait. We barely ever get females in the gym and when we do everyone just lets them do what they like, including today when some girl was using a rowing cable to fling herself about 6ft across the room.
If you are on your own the old rule of if they are a good bit bigger and stronger than you leave them to it applies :p

There's always one or two in my college gym that just muck about.

The worst part is we only have one olympic bar, for bench, deadlifts, the lot.

So you sometimes get the one guy hogging it all.

Doing DLs and SLDLs with an EZ bar is really weird but if it's all that's there I'll use it.

The only thing that really annoys me is this one guy that's always on the Pull down machine. I've seen him on it for over an hour. Most of the time he's just talking.

I'm lucky, the gym I use has a weights room downstairs and a multi purpose gym upstairs - treadmills, cardio equipment, good range of machines, cables and free weights etc etc.

All the morons can be found with the weights downstairs but if you nip upstairs it's generally always the get fit types, the ladies and some oldies. As I'm more the weight training type(bigger) than most of them I seem to get given more regard. Newer equipment, nicer people - only downfall is the lack of barbells etc but for back or leg days it's perfect.

I have had a few incidents though, like beefy idiots standing next to your bench talking when you're trying to do incline DB press with absolutely no regard whatsoever. You should never have any problem politely telling them to watch out though. You're paying the membership fee too!

Question: How often do you lot do deadlifts? I'll only do them every couple of weeks and never really put much effort in.

There's always one or two in my college gym that just muck about.

The worst part is we only have one olympic bar, for bench, deadlifts, the lot.

So you sometimes get the one guy hogging it all.

Doing DLs and SLDLs with an EZ bar is really weird but if it's all that's there I'll use it.

The only thing that really annoys me is this one guy that's always on the Pull down machine. I've seen him on it for over an hour. Most of the time he's just talking.

Buy one and donate it, thats what i would do they arent expensive.

Stupid question time:

How much does a standard Olympic bar weigh?

On a side note: I did incline bench press with 30kg dumbbells yesterday for 7 clean reps and one not so clean, first time I've used the 30's. :)

Last edited:
I've not been including the weight of the bar in my Bench press (thats why I asked about the weight) which means I am benching more than I thought I was, which is nice. :)

I've not been including the weight of the bar in my Bench press (thats why I asked about the weight) which means I am benching more than I thought I was, which is nice. :)

Nice man :)

Tried BB bench for the first time ever last night,

i do 42kg DB's on flat press for 12/9/7 unspotted(185lbs), on bar took it easy considering no spotter and first ever time on BBell, managed;

170lb x10
200lb x7 (failed on 8th rep, dropped the LOT on my chest, well embarrasing!! haha
190lb x10
200lb x6

Aiming for a 250 1RM by Xmas :D BBell is fun!!!

about 40 notes or there abouts branding doesnt matter but 7ft would be advisable length wise.

i say thats cheap because if we assume you go to this gym for at least one year (52 weeks) train 3 times per week and take 4 weeks off in the year thats 48x3=144 sessions / £40.00 = £0.27p per use, personally if it would improve your ability to train regularily in the way you want to with correct rest periods its more than worth that

Last edited:
I'll have a look into it :)

I'll give it to them under condition it's never allowed the leave our gym. Since the Rugby players have their own gym and often steal our equipment. Specially the single olympic bar we have.

Edit: Damn mcsports.ie want 100 euro for a 7ft bar with shipping :(

Going to save up for it so.

Last edited:
I'm toying with the idea of this full body split at the moment. UI haven't quite got the weights "right" I'll need to try the weights to see how feasible they are or if they are too light etc...

It works by creating high lactic acid which promotes growth hormone which helps improve fat burning.

They are supersets. So A1 is followed by A2 (after the rest perdiod) then back to A1 (after rest period) etc... until the number of sets is complete.

Note the short rest intervals. The tempo is also important.

I'll be doing it 1 day on, 1 day off, 1 day on etc... so it works out about 3-4 work outs a week. I shall be doing some HIIT in between I think.

This is in preparation for AGVT part 2 that I shall be hitting in the new year. I'm going to run with this for 6 weeks or so.

I then have 4 weeks or so before Christmas to do some 5x5 lifts - then I'm off skiing, and when I get back it's volume volume volume!

Man I can't wait! :D

Any comments are welcome - this is not a strength building workout, it's to help with body composition, you can get a little lean mass gain too, but we're talking maybe a pound or 2 really.

The figures for weights isn't quite right but until I give it a go I won't know. The tough thing will be to ensure that the gym equipment is free for me to use, and keeping the rest stops short - problem is that often people will jump in and it'll screw up the timing. :(

DAY 1:

Workout, Exercise, Weight (KG), Sets, Reps, Tempo, Rest

A1 Step ups, 80, 4, 12, 2-0-X, 60,
A2 Chin ups, BW, 4, 10, 3-1-1, 60,

B1 Lunges, 20, 3, 12, 3-1-1, 45,
B2 Incline DB Press, 25, 3, 10, 4-1-1, 45,

C1 SLDL, 70, 3, 10, 4-0-1, 45,
C2 BB Shoulder Press 50, 3, 12, 3-1-1, 45,

D1 Seated DB Hammer curls, 17.5, 2, 10, 4-1-1, 30,
D2 Lying DB Tricep extension, 12, 2, 10, 4-2-2, 30,

DAY 2:

Workout, Exercise, Weight (KG), Sets, Reps, Tempo, Rest ,

A1 Deadlift, 130, 4, 10, 3-1-1, 60,
A2 Swiss ball push up, BW, 4, 12, 2-2-2, 45,

B1 Leg Press, 20, 3, 12, 3-1-1, 45,
B2 Seated cable rope (to neck), 25, 3, 10, 4-1-1, 45,

C1 Single standing leg curl, 70, 3, 10, 4-0-1, 45,
C2 Lateral raises, 50, 3, 12, 3-1-1, 45,

D1 BB curl, 30, 2, 10, 4-1-1, 30,
D2 EZ Bar seated French Press, 12, 2, 10, 4-2-2, 30,

DAY 3:

Workout, Exercise, Weight (KG), Sets, Reps, Tempo, Rest,

A1 Squats, 100, 4, 12, 4-0-1, 60,
A2 Bench Press, 85, 4, 10, 4-1-1, 60,

B1 Split squat, 50, 3, 12, 3-1-1, 60,
B2 BB BOR, 80, 3, 10, 3-1-1, 60,

C1 Good mornings, 40, 3, 10, 3-1-2, 60,
C2 Standing alt. shoulder press, 17.5, 3, 12, 2-0-1, 45,

D1 Reverse BB curls, 20, 2, 12, 4-1-1, 30,
D2 Tricep pushdowns, 12, 2 12, 3-1-2, 30,

FF, Isn't that how Alex over at ESN trains?

Might be worth checking his journal. Looks like a good routine though if you are into that kind of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom