Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gave my chest a bit of a smashing today:

Warmup Pecfly:
75KG x 6
82KGx6
89KGx6
96KGx6

Flat DB Press:
35KGx8
35KGx8
37.5KGx8

Incline DB Press:
30KG x 8
32.5KGx 8
35KGx 7
30KG x 7

Dips @ BW:

Close: 10
Wide:8
Close:6
Wide:5

Pecfly:
75KG x 8
75KG x 8
75KG x8

Our chest press feels really good, can really feel it in the front delts for some reason.
Chest Press Dropset 1:
75KG down to 15KG

Pecfly Dropset:
75KG down to 33KG

Chest Press Dropset 2:
75KG down to 15KG

Tricep Kickbacks:
7KG x 10/10
9KGx 10/10
6KG 4 second negatives 10/10

Standing DB Skull Crusher:
20KG x 10
22.5KG x 8

Another 4/5 slow sets of tricep pushdowns alternating ropes & bars, some reverse grip too.

Finished off with some decline cable flyes 11KG either arm and 13KG for 2 sets.

Big pump followed by a big meal :)

Gone back to something similar to my routine before I did GVT. Going to do so for another 2/3 weeks while I sort out a routine. I'd quite like to train everything twice in 10 days but need to work out a split and varying exercises but just haven't had the time at the moment!

In most cases, almost certainly not - in yours, it's do-able giving you should be growing and getting some natural hormone boosts as well.

Ok thanks for clearing that up, it's just that I read that realistically the body could synthesize 0.5 pounds of muscle mass per week. Which works out at 1.8 stone per year. And in the sticky it says that you should be gaining 1-2 pounds a week.

Ok thanks for clearing that up, it's just that I read that realistically the body could synthesize 0.5 pounds of muscle mass per week. Which works out at 1.8 stone per year. And in the sticky it says that you should be gaining 1-2 pounds a week.

It's not a linear scale, otherwise some the chaps here would be the size of trucks.

So is it realistic to hope for gains of a stone of lean mass per year, given decent diet + training?

Mutated_Hair over at the myprotein forums was a similar build to you and he's put on 2 stone of lean mass in about 7 months following Stronglifts 5x5.

If you have a well structured routine and eat properly, you could easily gain a stone or more in your first year.

Mutated_Hair over at the myprotein forums was a similar build to you and he's put on 2 stone of lean mass in about 7 months following Stronglifts 5x5.

If you have a well structured routine and eat properly, you could easily gain a stone or more in your first year.

two stone of LEAN mass in 7 months? Following a strength program?

Surely that's impossible, can you link us there? Or provide pics? At that rate he'd be the Hulk in a year! lol :D

I've gained 2 stone over the last 10 full months, but it's not all lean, unfortunately.

You always gain more when you first start out, the initial rush of test and GH is never quite as high as it is when you start off - once your body is used to it it takes a lot more training and effort to keep on gaining. However 2stone lean mass in 7 months I find that dubious.

Close grip cable pulldowns

Question: my gym's cable machine only goes up to 50Kg per side. The close grip pulldown is an exercise that I enjoy, but I can now do 50Kg x 8 x 3. However I can currently only do one or two at the most, close grip pullups (snigger).

Which is preferable - one or two close grip pull ups, or keep hitting the 50Kg for as many reps as it takes to failure, until I can do 8 x bodyweight pullups?

I suppose I can slow down the reps to make the cable harder in the mean time, but I'm not sure which tactic would be preferable for muscle growth.

Cheers.

ive heard said that pull down strength doesn't equate to pull up strength? But then ive also heard that there no point in doing pull ups unless you can cheive the amount of reps need to promote muscle growth and that instead you should do pull downs till your strong enough

Any shed any light on this confusion?

Imo 2 pullups isn't going to be as good as pulldowns. Get a plate and an extra weight selector spike thingie and just use that, easy 70k+ on your rack then. By the time you get used to that you should be able to rep out the pullups which are often more beneficial.

Pull downs use different (secondary) muscles to pull ups. If you can only do 2 pull ups, then do them. There is *no* reason not to. Then do some negatives, then hit the pull downs as well. Honestly; there is nothing to lose, and plenty to gain.

Chins (i.e. pronated grip, palms facing away from you) are superior to pull downs in terms of muscle activation - and it's the one top exercises for a wide thick back. However pull downs do have their place and are good for overloading the muscle group. However if you're not able to do a good 8-10 reps of WG chins then it's something you need to work on.

Bugger, I meant pronated :rolleyes: And this from someone who knows a lot about exercise! :o :o

Anyway, chins which should be done pronated are better for lat, rear delt and trap activation. Pull ups (suppinated ;) ) are a good secondary version but are much more bicep dominant.

In essence: WG chins are over hand grip wide grip = more back activation
CG chins are underhand close grip = more bicep activation

This is where new people go wrong imo. If you can't do 2 of a basic exercise it doesn't matter in the slightest what its called. Get under the snoggleweedle and just do it...

Bugger, I meant pronated :rolleyes: And this from someone who knows a lot about exercise! :o :o

Anyway, chins which should be done pronated are better for lat, rear delt and trap activation. Pull ups (suppinated ;) ) are a good secondary version but are much more bicep dominant.

In essence: WG chins are over hand grip wide grip = more back activation
CG chins are underhand close grip = more bicep activation
I always thought chins were suppinated (and usually closer grip) and pull ups were pronated. I guess just because I imagine your chin going up and over the bar in a suppinated grip, but not in pronated. :)

EDIT: ala.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chin-up and... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pull-up_(exercise)

Unless I'm getting everything confused, and that's what you've actually said :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom